My initial impression of The Bigs for Wii

PokerFool

n00b
I'd give it a 4 out of 10.

Pitching is fun. Fielding is kinda fun, except for the fact that it is "too" realistic. Meaning, if you tap the wrong way accidentally, your player will make a full step in that direction, and then if you want to go in the correct direction, he slides to a stop, has to turn around, and then go after the ball. By that time, the ball is already past you. I do like the fact you can run faster by moving the wiimote up and down fast.

Hitting is terrible. You just flick your wrist (Or swing. whatever), but the problem is the lag. There is a good 0.5 - 1.0 second delay in your swing. You have to swing when the ball is pretty much just out of the pitchers hands. And it is pretty much impossible to determine if the ball is a ball/strike or fast/slow before you have to swing. Why couldn't they copy the Wii Sports baseball swing function? They totally screwed this up. It is amazing to me that this would even make it out of testing.

You get used to having to swing early, but it takes the fun and skill out of it. It's just a crapshoot.

Oh, and why design a cool pitching system where you can move the cursor around (Even move the cursor out of the strike zone) if you aren't going to make hitting like that too????? If you throw a bad pitch, it will "tip off" the batter and show the location of where the ball is going to go. BUT it doesn't matter because you can't swing high, or low, or inside, or whatever. It's just a swing. A swing you have to start when the ball is halfway to the plate from the mound. Arggg.

One other annoying thing is the computer robs way too many homeruns. I played a game yesterday, and the computer robbed 5 homeruns of mine (And that translates into "power points" that you can use for automatic homeruns and things like that)

One really cool thing is the stadiums are super realistic. I played as the Twins, and they have the Metrodome look exactly like it is, down to the huge pictures of Retired Twins players in the outfield, along with their 1987 & 1991 World Series banners. Very cool.

In conclusion, The Bigs would be a really great game if they would have spent more than a day designing the batting system. Heck, Half of the design has already been done by Wii Sports. Just add in a directional component to the where you swing, and it's perfect.

Agree hitting is a bit broken... however pitching is not that stellar either, as it gets pretty difficult for the wiimote to recognize all the pitches 100% of the time.

Overall its an arcade game, and its average at best.

Back