My LCD Moniter Dying?

paintb4707

Limp Gawd
Well, Ive only owned one LCD moniter in my time. I had this hp f70 17" moniter for about 3 or 4 years. Just now I saw the colors fade before my eyes and now my moniter is at a total blue tint. Ive tried shutting it off and reseting the colors multiple times but no fix. Is my baby about to die? Is it common for LCD moniters to do this? And is there any fix? Appreciate any help.

The whole monitor is blue? Seems a bit strange since LCD's are individual pixels, rather than a cathode.

Are you using Analog or DVI inputs? If you're on analog, one of the pins in the cable might have gone bad. Weird stuff happens when you break them one at a time.

Have you tried the monitor on a different computer to make sure it's not the video card?

Blue Knight said:
The whole monitor is blue? Seems a bit strange since LCD's are individual pixels, rather than a cathode.

Are you using Analog or DVI inputs? If you're on analog, one of the pins in the cable might have gone bad. Weird stuff happens when you break them one at a time.

Have you tried the monitor on a different computer to make sure it's not the video card?

I never unplugged the moniter since like a few months ago, so I cant see how any pins could have gotten broke. I believe Im using DVI input though (the blue plug correct?). I havent tried it on another pc yet, but I doubt its a gpu issue. (running a celestica radeon x600 pci-e).

insanarchist said:
The blue one is analog, my friend. Try wiggling the cable!
Well, that sounds like one easy way to break any pins that arent broken. But... I unplugged it and found no pins were broken, plugged it back in, gave it a *little* wiggle and its still tinted blue.

Well, I don't mean hit it with a bat :) I've had crt monitors' cables start to go 'funky colors', missing either a blue, green, or red tint it should have. In those instances, one of the wires within the cable had broken, and bending (slightly!) the cable in a certain direction would cause it to work sometimes.

Do you have any way to either A: test the monitor out on another computer (friend's?) or B: test a known-working monitor on your PC?

insanarchist said:
Well, I don't mean hit it with a bat :) I've had crt monitors' cables start to go 'funky colors', missing either a blue, green, or red tint it should have. In those instances, one of the wires within the cable had broken, and bending (slightly!) the cable in a certain direction would cause it to work sometimes.

Do you have any way to either A: test the monitor out on another computer (friend's?) or B: test a known-working monitor on your PC?

Chaning moniters to my other pc would be a big hassle. The other one is a fatass 21" CRT. Either trying to use it on this pc or just moving it to get the LCD in there, is just going to be a major pain in the ass.

edit: I just took a second look when deciding to move it over to the other pc, and I saw a pin is missing. Now what the hell do I do? I really cant afford a new moniter right now...

A missing pin on a VGA cable is usually normal...someone correct me if I am wrong here.

pins missing is normal

Your LCD On Screen Menus appear normall? If so, maybe the ANALOG circuits took a chit ... does your video card have DVI connector ? if so, borrow and or buy cable and use that from now on.

MrkXCeL said:
pins missing is normal

Your LCD On Screen Menus appear normall? If so, maybe the ANALOG circuits took a chit ... does your video card have DVI connector ? if so, borrow and or buy cable and use that from now on.
Yes, the onscreen menus do work. But surprise surprise, it appears my moniter fixed itself when I just turned it on a few minutes ago. Maybe it just needed a break from my hardcore gaming :p I should probably buy a DVI input to be on the safe side anyways though, correct?

Obviously paintb4707 was right and there was probably a bad wire, or connection. you just did'nt realize it. When you had finally disconnected the monitor and pluged it back in you made the connection.

Back