My monitor shuts off when playing certain games

CrazyJ

Gawd
I'm not sure but I think my videocard is overheating but it didnt have that problem before.

Last time I redid the thermal paste on my X1800XT was about a year ago.

Recently I tried playing Red Alert 3 and Fallout 3 and both games made my monitor go blank after several minutes of playing while my fan seemed to have sped up and went back to idle speeds.

I didn't think of checking the temperatures at the time but I wanted to see if anybody has had a similar problem.

I dont get any of this when I play Team Fotress 2 for extended periods but that could be because it may be more CPU reliant?

Any advice?

You'll need to get some temp measurements ASAP

Try getting some while running furmark, nothing stresses a GPU like that little app.

Download GPU-Z and see if it reads your temp sensors correctly on your video card. If it seems like it's reading it pretty accurate, play RA3 or FA3 for a few minutes then exit out and check your GPU temp. I don't own an X1800XT, but look around on the net for the average idle temps and load temps and compare yours to them.

You know I had this problem too with an old Samsung LCD and my Ati x700 Pro, when ever the scene was really dark, or even if my wallpaper was really dark for what ever reason the monitor would just shut off. It was not an overheating problem, for what ever reason it just figured that was best. I eventually got a new rig.

could be overheating or the monitor going bad. might wanna blow out the system, and check to see if the fan is working right.

could be overheating or the monitor going bad. might wanna blow out the system, and check to see if the fan is working right.

I would think that but nothing happens when I play Team Fotress 2,

I'll try getting some temps.

Could possibly be that some games are trying to force a refresh rate that your monitor does not support. Are you on LCD or CRT?

Back