My new 77' Boneville heatorcore pics.

This thread has given me a few more ideas for my Mod (see sig). I'm no longer gonna buy my HC or Res. I'm gonna get a bonneville and build my res. Thanks for the ideas.

Glad I and the others that posted could help you out. Post up some pictures in this thread when you get it built so we can help others out also.

here, updated look.

1small.jpg

4small.jpg

Cookie, watch out for that tube going to the video card, looks a little tight...just be sure it doesn't crimp on itself.

Just a heads up.

stumpy said:
Cookie, watch out for that tube going to the video card, looks a little tight...just be sure it doesn't crimp on itself.

Just a heads up.

I just noticed that too. Pull that Coolsleeve down, and it should help. :eek:

gclg2000 said:
where did you get that lcd?

compugeeks?
Big or small one?

Stumpy said:

Just a heads up.
Thanks for the heads up, adding extra Coolsleeving to that section just incase.

RickyJ said:
I just noticed that too. Pull that Coolsleeve down, and it should help. :eek:
Hehe , on it, but the pic makes it look worse than it actually is. But I wonder if a flatter tube with no kinks makes flow worse than an rounded tube.

CookiePuss said:
But I wonder if a flatter tube with no kinks makes flow worse than an rounded tube.

Try drinking through a straw and pinch the straw. The straw keeps the exact same circumference, but the cross sectional area inside decreases. This is the same with tubing. A flat tube is almost a kink, since the sides are pushed out (decreasing height, which decreases the x-sectional area). Thus, a flattened tube is worse than a rounded tube.

Aftermarket exhausts fight this with the bends. You can either bend it, crimp bend it, or mandrel bend it. The smoother and rounder you can keep the pipe, the more it will flow. Same with any tubing. ;)

RickyJ said:
Try drinking through a straw and pinch the straw. The straw keeps the exact same circumference, but the cross sectional area inside decreases. This is the same with tubing. A flat tube is almost a kink, since the sides are pushed out (decreasing height, which decreases the x-sectional area). Thus, a flattened tube is worse than a rounded tube.

Aftermarket exhausts fight this with the bends. You can either bend it, crimp bend it, or mandrel bend it. The smoother and rounder you can keep the pipe, the more it will flow. Same with any tubing. ;)

Ahh great explanation! Thank you :)

for me, before i switched to this, i was using dual 80mm heatercore.
1copy.jpg

My idle and load were the same temp as using Sp-94 Heatsink - 40idle - 50ish load.

Switched over to the big assed rad, now temps are what are shown in mysig. But now during the summer, i must keep my airconditioning in my room on to keep those tempratures going.

BTW- Max3's internal temp probes read about 10-13c higher than other manufacturer mobos.

by "near ambient temps" are you referring to the temp of the coolant?

anyway, brief pic barrage from the weapon created core collection:
before the shroud:
2blkhc2.jpg

shrouded
hcwshroudfans1.jpg

ardawg's core mounted in his slightly oversized case (his case is a Sun Mass Storage Unit :) )
ARweapcore.jpg

nbd's 6x6 core with flat side panels:
nbdcore.jpg

^that pic does not do that core any justice -- it turned out schweet.

weapon-- said:
by "near ambient temps" are you referring to the temp of the coolant?

anyway, brief pic barrage from the weapon created core collection:
before the shroud:
2blkhc2.jpg

shrouded
hcwshroudfans1.jpg

ardawg's core mounted in his slightly oversized case (his case is a Sun Mass Storage Unit :) )
ARweapcore.jpg

nbd's 6x6 core with flat side panels:
nbdcore.jpg

^that pic does not do that core any justice -- it turned out schweet.

I like what you did with the sides of the cores, very spiffy.

yes yes yes very sweet. That's the thread i got the whole idea from to use the 77' boneville core to begin with.

This is a good community forum at [H]ard, lots of people with lots of advice and pictures!!!

Keep it up fella's.

yes yes yes very sweet. That's the thread i got the whole idea from to use the 77' boneville core to begin with.

This is a good community forum at [H]ard, lots of people with lots of advice and pictures!!!

Keep it up fella's.

BTW below is a link to the construction of my Home made Water BLocks. Got both copper blocks for $32.00 ;) more DIY yourself ideas below.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=778433

I went the other route with my core. Instead of glossing up the core itself, I created a realy nice ( or really ugly - it's a point of view thing) shroud for it, putting 4 120 MM stealth fans around it, push pull style, ensuring there was a 1" plenum on either side of the core. There is 2 " between the inside fans and the case for adaquete air flow. It hangs off the side of the full tower case making it look rather pregnant. but as far as effectiveness goes, you can't beat it.
I'll try to get some pics off today.

cool, the only thing i think alot of people don't realize is. NO matter how many 120's you put on the enormous heatercore already, once you get the water to room temp, you can't get it any colder. I have 2 120mm helicopters on mine, and they are loud as hell, so i just reversed the 12v molex line to the 5v and now i can't even hear them at all, even with my ear up to them.

But if you have stealth's then they are pretty quite already, but i too have 2 stealh 80mm's in my case and they are louder than my 2 120mm radiator fans.

If you need the space cuz you have a giant radiator and 4 fans, you can afford to take at least 2 of them off and be ok. (not directed toward you at all, but for anyone)

IF you don't care about noise, then fire that b*tch up, i would but my PC is next to my bed and i'm in a college apartment. It will only add more and better air flow into your case.

I'm still at work, so no pics yet, but ...
I'm using a dannermag pump now which works fine for me, but that makes the bottom of the case pretty crowded. I'm looking for a pump that doesn't need to be located below the reservoir, something I can mount above the power supply in an Antec SX1200 full tower case. any suggestions?

its essential that you have the pump, below and / or submerged under the water line. If you put it at the top or peak of your loop, you have a hella hard to get it primed up. As long as water is in the impeller when the pump shuts off, you'll be fine.

Back