My new computer from AVA Direct

I haven't been around for the past few months, since I've been gaming instead of visiting forums :) But I just wanted to say that I used the EVGA Step-Up program to upgrade my 8800 GTS to a GTX 280. I didn't have any problems with the process, although I did have to wait in a queue (I guess they only process so many step-ups per day). EVGA accepted my AVA Direct invoice without any questions, even though it only had the system price on it.

I did have to make a few adjustments inside my computer. I had thought the GTX 280 was the same size as the 8800 GTX, but it's actually longer. Which meant that it wouldn't fit because of where the hard drives were located in the middle bay. So I had to move the hard drives down to bottom bay, which meant I had to remove the bottom fan from the middle, because it was on the hard drive bay side due to the length of the power supply. I also had to attach one of the 8-pin cords (AVA includes all of the extra cords that come with the Corsair modular PSU) from the PSU to the video card, since the GTX 280 requires both a 6-pin and an 8-pin cord.

In the end, everything fit, with the removal of the bottom fan. I haven't noticed any problems, and the temps don't seem to have been adversely affected. The system has been running fine for a couple months now, with the GTX 280 :)

You can check HDD temps w/ HDTune. ;) If they're high, I'd suggest figuring out a way to mount a fan in front, instead of the middle of the lower chamber.

You can mount one of these Yate Loon 120x120x20mm low profiles fans in the lower chamber for HDD cooling. I have/had a P182 SE ( just switched all the components to a 1200 :) ), and I was able to put one of those fans in the lower chamber to cool my hard drives.

OOOH, Magoo crossed over to the dark side!

I used to be an ATI fangrrrrl. I'm thinking that my next personal build is going to be AMD/ATI.

Heather, I crossed back, never to return............now have two GTX 280s in SLI, soon to go to X58 as soon as [H] reviews convince me the EVGA board is what I want.:D

Honestly, I found the ATI GPUs to be great, but I had a bunch of aggrevation with the drivers and some lack of Crossfire support..........so I made my way back to the green.

You can mount one of these Yate Loon 120x120x20mm low profiles fans in the lower chamber for HDD cooling. I have/had a P182 SE ( just switched all the components to a 1200 :) ), and I was able to put one of those fans in the lower chamber to cool my hard drives.

well i m using a P182 here and i can tell u that the Yate Loon slim fan will fit in the lower chamber but u need to remove the filter or else it will grind or stop the fan from moving... also it is easy fit and the model number for that fan is D12SL-12C/D12SM-12C
hope u will get ur P182 soon and enjoy it and post us some pic! ;)

well i m using a P182 here and i can tell u that the Yate Loon slim fan will fit in the lower chamber but u need to remove the filter or else it will grind or stop the fan from moving... also it is easy fit and the model number for that fan is D12SL-12C/D12SM-12C
hope u will get ur P182 soon and enjoy it and post us some pic! ;)

Actually you can just cut the inner clips on the filter to avoid that, allowing to keep the filter in place. It still has the lower to clips, and those hold it fine, + the fan is an intake so the pulling of the air helps keep it in place as well as the door when it is closed.

You can check HDD temps w/ HDTune. ;) If they're high, I'd suggest figuring out a way to mount a fan in front, instead of the middle of the lower chamber.

I have a Kama-meter and one of the probes is located down in the hard drive area. The temps stay around 38C, so I haven't bothered trying to fit a fan in the bottom. The other three fans in the system appear to be taking care of things.

I have a Kama-meter and one of the probes is located down in the hard drive area. The temps stay around 38C, so I haven't bothered trying to fit a fan in the bottom. The other three fans in the system appear to be taking care of things.

mine run at 28°C.

Back