My new Office Area

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
So, with the news that I'm going to have a little one on the way, I'm going to be moving my now office into the somewhat finished garage.

The walls in the garage were terribly done. They had some type of coating on the wall stabled together in some sections.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it started with one sections and turned into the whole wall.

3168745216_c90dc131c3.jpg

Here's a shot of their "craftsmanship".
3168745952_495fa9aca1.jpg

This is what I ended up with after I took all the sheetrock down.
3168746040_9d862f8e91.jpg

Here's what I ended up with after I put the new sheetrock up.
3167916087_8812204775.jpg

Now, I'd like to point out that I've never done anything like this, so any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

I'm not quite sure how to fill this gap up that I have in a corner of the room.
3167917045_9b09fa586c.jpg

I'm thinking of just putting extra pieces in to fill the gap, or just fill it with putty?

I'm also not sure on the colors of the wall. I'm going to be moving my living room furniture in there (which is kacki [sp]).

I'll be finishing up the rest of the drywall today and hopefully start taping and mudding as well. I'll keep you all posted.

Here's my set on flickr if you'd like to check that out.

Looking good dude.

Don't fill that corner up with joint compound, it's too big a gap, plus you have the insulation back there. Cut a thing strip of drywall and mud/tape it.

Thanks =]

I'll give that a shot. I'm still not too sure what I'm going to be doing where the cinder blocks are. I was told that I couldn't sheetrock there, so... I'm thinking I'll just be painting it.

Your other option is to take that piece of drywall down and cut it at the previous stud and use a wider piece to span the gap, though it would depend on what you have left material-wise.

As for the sheet rocks, dry wall down to their level and check your local codes for what you can cover them with (they may not want them sealed in your area, or whoever told you not to drywall might just be warning against possible water damage)

Now, there's probably a 8th inch of a difference between the height of some of my drywall. Is this going to be covered up when i tape and mud?

I would have cut the sheets smaller so that way when you butt up against the corner you will have a perfect fit. However, in your case, I would cut a strip and then tape over it and then mud it.

Most of your smaller gaps you can tape and mud over. My tip to you would be to go light on the mud and light on the sanding. Rather do 3-4 applications than try to hurry with gobs of mud and hours upon hours of sanding.

Mud will fix everything, with enough coats.... Your will probably want to go with 3-5 coats of mud, more [4 or 5] coats on the areas that need it, and 3 should be good for any flush seams and corners.

For the gap in the corner, you can get metal or maybe plastic inside corners that would work better than just taping it.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I REALLY hope that black stuff on the insulation wasn't mold.... Black mold can be very bad [toxic] in some cases.

-Jon

Mud will fix everything, with enough coats.... Your will probably want to go with 3-5 coats of mud, more [4 or 5] coats on the areas that need it, and 3 should be good for any flush seams and corners.

For the gap in the corner, you can get metal or maybe plastic inside corners that would work better than just taping it.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I REALLY hope that black stuff on the insulation wasn't mold.... Black mold can be very bad [toxic] in some cases.

-Jon

You should be able to complete in 3 coats, sometimes even two. But being new at it you will find yourself sanding too much and coating too much.

I was also wondering about the black mold lookish things on the insulation. If that really was/is mold, you should tear everything down and get that out of there... which that can get expensive fast (however, some insurance policies will cover this, so you would get a free wall).

I'd recommend 20 minute mud, if you are fairly comfortable with mudding tools. If you put a fan on it it will dry faster between coats [about 20-30 minutes, depending on humidity and ambient temp].
In my experience, more coats look better and mud is pretty easy to sand off, just very messy/dusty.

Good to hear you replaced the insulation!

Am I the only one who actually uses the garage as a place to park their vehicles in?

I bought it this way >.>

Is 150 grit sand paper ok for sanding or should I get another grit for smooting walls?

Any tips on what color I should use while painting?

I would have cut the sheets smaller so that way when you butt up against the corner you will have a perfect fit. However, in your case, I would cut a strip and then tape over it and then mud it.

Most of your smaller gaps you can tape and mud over. My tip to you would be to go light on the mud and light on the sanding. Rather do 3-4 applications than try to hurry with gobs of mud and hours upon hours of sanding.

Yup, I would take the sheet down and make the seam on the last stub bay..

Ockie is spot on as far as mudding goes, easy does it.... Easier to put more, not so easy to get rid of extra....

Am I the only one who actually uses the garage as a place to park their vehicles in?

Why would you do that? ;)

And looks good OP, glad you got rid of that insulation and I hope you looked closely to make sure there wasn't more.

Ok, here are a few updates.
This is my final coat of mud, I just applied it.
3180642827_c60927046d.jpg

Here are my first ever corners, I'm so afraid how they are going to come out.
3181479660_d6b82af62c.jpg

This is the corner with the gap. I added scrap in there to fill the grap then I taped it and mudded.
3180643495_b015a6a120.jpg

I may have a color for the room. I'll keep you posted when I find it.

Dude, good job on those corners.

remember, you can always put more mud on and just sand it out smooth.

with spackling, you dont want the corners to have to much mud otherwise it will stand out once its sanded & painted. Also the floor mouldings will not fit right. As far as your vertical joints not to bad for it being your first time. One thing you have to remember with spackling is to thin out each coat by adding water, just be careful and add alittle bit at a time and make sure its mixed in well. I have already mixed in dawn with my final coat to get a nice smooth coat. By thinning out each coat it eliminates alot of sanding at the end.

"Mind the stai..."

*smack*

"Nevermind..."

:p

Looks nice! :D very comfy ;)

Oh, and I want that mirror~ *vanity strikes*

lol, i was gonna ask, how can a regular joe who had no experience do such a good job? then i saw the hulk hands. :D

It takes 3 people to move that damn TV.

The TV in my living room (Samsung a650 52"), my wife and I picked it up. LOL

Back