My old WD Raptor X HDD had 1795 bad sectors - is it safe to reuse?

vietpho

Limp Gawd
I've been having issues on a few hdd's lately and decided to see if I can repair some more older hdd's I had laying around. This one is a Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD that died on me 2-3 years ago and I've recently ran a scan on it.

I am thinking about wiping it clean and installing an OS on it. Would it be safe to do so after I've repaired those "bad sectors"?

raptor-hdd-bad-sectors.JPG

Edit: Hmm Never mind. I just ran HD Sentinel on it and it says Power on: 1248 days, Health: 5% so I think it's dead :(

Maybe do one last full format. You never know what might bring it back to life (or kill it off totally, heh)

It can't make it any worse. Try it. I've got a theory that the full format re-magnetizes the sectors and full-formatting drives every few years... well. It's a theory.

A drive in that condition isnt worth bothering with unless your time is worthless.

So I've reformatted it and installed windows 7 back on it but it's very slow and noisy lol. The health went from 5% to 10% after all of my work but I've decided to trash this HDD and not to use it anymore.
I am reformatting this hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
It was stalling at Verify dmi pool data and causing issues but Hard Disk Sentinel reports 662 days of power on and 100% health so I should be good hopefully.

Back