My pictures of the Cooler Master 690 (the new $50 uber-case!)

Finally got a picture of my first build.

DSC00790.jpg

Why two fans on your heatsink? It won't really help that much..

Nice wires.

Why two fans on your heatsink? It won't really help that much..

There is only actually one. The middle fan is gutted out to act like a shroud so the fan is further away from the heatsink so its a little quieter and doesn't have any dead spots where air can't pass through due to the fan frames.

haha yea, how is that working out Sonic? i saw a blow hole mod from the mod brothers on youtube about it and always wondered, besides the noise, does it work? :D

Do you mean the top fans or the "2" fans. The only thing loud in my rig is the graphics card because its @ 70-80% fan speed because I'm folding on it whenever the PC is on.

Ooo i see what you did, wow thats an awesome idea, i might steal that idea for my exhaust fan in the back of my case since it turns to a turbine when i turn it to a intake.

I just tried a scythe on the side panel. still have a buzz (or louder fan) think it's because it's shooting right into the heatsink/fan combo. If I mount it to the exterior, and put a little screen or something over it to protect it from fingers... does that quiet them down?

Just FYI I picked up the microcenter setup. The bundled PSU looks pretty decent and is rated "80+" :)

so how are the noise levels of this case? how well does it block hard drive and video card noise?

so how are the noise levels of this case? how well does it block hard drive and video card noise?

Depending on the side and top fans you use, it can be pretty loud. I have two of these for my kids' computers. Just make sure you get some nice quiet fans, and some of the 120m rubber fan dampeners seemed to help a little bit too. If you buy the Vantec ones, it comes w/ two actual units in each package. So, You'd only need 3 to get all the fan's 'dampened'.

Also, I'd suggest getting some sound dampening stuff, and putting in on both sides.

Here's what I use.

Good luck!

- Brett

P.S. I just buy the cases from CoolerMasters CMStore.. I get the refurb's for $45.00ish.. or the one with the PS for $80. Sometimes you can find a great deal at other vendors where they have the one w/ the PS for under $100.00. Anyway. The refurbs are great. I havent seen any problems (scratches, etc) with the two I've got. (knock on wood)

so i'd spend at least an extra 30 dollars quieting this case then. also it has a 2 pin power led connector and my motherboard takes a 3 pin i think. so i'd have to buy an adapter as well?

are there any other decent cheap cases? i don't need a power supply.

They sometimes have sales on the 690 at MicroCenter. I picked mine up there for around $40 with free shipping.

P.S. I just buy the cases from CoolerMasters CMStore.. I get the refurb's for $45.00ish.. or the one with the PS for $80. Sometimes you can find a great deal at other vendors where they have the one w/ the PS for under $100.00. Anyway. The refurbs are great. I havent seen any problems (scratches, etc) with the two I've got. (knock on wood)

What am I missing here? CMStore has them for $45, but tacks on $27 for shipping. Thats within $3 of what I can get a new one for down the street...

Back