My SSD Odyssey - still in progress?!?

elleana

2[H]4U
Cliffs because I'm not really in the mood for a long story...

Budget - $400, give or take. Would prefer less if I can get away with it!

OS drive, games, apps, the usual. Hoping for minimum 120GB, but read on for more options!

Option 1: 120GB Vertex (~$350)
Option 2: 2 x 60GB Vertexes in RAID0 (~$400)
Option 3: 4 x 60GB Solids in RAID0 (~$400)

While trying to decide between option 1 and 2 (fiddling with raid, the option to upgrade in the future and throw a 60GB into a laptop or something, etc) I came across reports of people who had very nice things to say about 4 solids (the bottom of the SSD food chain, I know) which can give double the capacity for about the same price.

Anyone try this before? Does the JMicron issue disappear for some reason because of RAID0? (ICHR10 on X58 by the way)

I vote for Option 1.
JMicrom issue dont disappear just because you would use RAID.

Option 1 is the best choice.

Option 2 only offers better throughput which more than likely you dont need. It also adds the RAID0 complexity and will have slower access times.

Option 3 shouldnt be an option.

answer: forget ANY drive that isn't run by an indilix or intel controller. Period.
Id look at an solid II drive when they come out (indilix controller/intel 34nm flash), OCZ agility (indilix/samsung (sometimes intel flash); or an actual 80GB intel G2 since the 160GB at $500 is out of your price range.

read this for why http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

answer: forget ANY drive that isn't run by an indilix or intel controller. Period.
Id look at an solid II drive when they come out (indilix controller/intel 34nm flash), OCZ agility (indilix/samsung (sometimes intel flash); or an actual 80GB intel G2 since the 160GB at $500 is out of your price range.

read this for why http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

Thanks for that article. Now I think its down to 80GB X25-M G2 or a 120GB Vertex. I guess its all about how much space I need. I've been surviving with a 74GB raptor so 80GB seems to be sufficient. Hmm.

Back