my summer watercooling project worklog

I did some painting today

46.jpg

47.jpg

The front panel looks white in some areas because of reflected light. I am not as happy with this first coat as I could be, I will be doing a lot of sanding tomorrow.

whoa, why didn't you take the 3.5" drive bay covers out before you painted?

btw, nice mod so far. i wish i had the time/tools/money to do this kinda stuff...

umbra said:
I need a dremel tool so bad :(

my B&D RTX was about $50 with a bunch of attachments, it's worth the cost

_drk_ said:
whoa, why didn't you take the 3.5" drive bay covers out before you painted?

btw, nice mod so far. i wish i had the time/tools/money to do this kinda stuff...

I'm lazy, what can I say? Actually, I don't plan on using any of the 5.25" covers, so they aren't getting painted.

I don't really have a lot of time/money. I work 40+ hours a week, and my actual computer parts aren't top of the line.

mjcason said:
im in eden prairie!

IM me sometime (the real giblet), we could hang out before I go back to school.

stumpy said:
While that may be the color for your school, i have to say it looks pretty gay. Especially for a computer case.....

who said I'm straight?

working on my rear 120mm mount

48.jpg

angled fan mount to direct air to mosfets and nbridge

49.jpg

wet sanded with 1200 grit paper, then added another layer of purple

50.jpg

oh, just kidding, I am straight, just wacky

very nice quality work, great job so far even if it does look a little "gay" haha jk, the paint is original I think

R1ckCa1n said:
Must be hard to route all that fat 1/2" ID tubing around...... ;)

Actually, in post #17, he says that he's got 3/4" ID tubing!

R1ckCa1n said:
Talk about overkill.

nope, not overkill

the 3/4" ID runs from the radiator to the pump inlet. Less resistance at the inlet reduces the net positive suction head of the pump, which makes it more efficient.

the rest of the system will be 1/2" ID 3/4" OD. the tubing runs will be very clean because of the single pass radiator.

nice rear fan mount. did you use some more of the steel sheet to make the extension (kind of hard to tell)?

maxxo said:
nice rear fan mount. did you use some more of the steel sheet to make the extension (kind of hard to tell)?

I actualled hacked up an old compaq case for material, I'm running a little low on the sheet metal.

Hey Giblet, awesome job! I'm going to be (hopefully) watercooling my system here in a few weeks, and this log has given me some good tips.

Do you have a copy of the painting directions? When I click on the link, Firefox says the site cannot be found.

Also, do you have any recomendations as to what parts to get? I'm going to try and WC my GFX card and Northbridge along with my CPU.

Combat Wombat said:
Hey Giblet, awesome job! I'm going to be (hopefully) watercooling my system here in a few weeks, and this log has given me some good tips.

Do you have a copy of the painting directions? When I click on the link, Firefox says the site cannot be found.

Also, do you have any recomendations as to what parts to get? I'm going to try and WC my GFX card and Northbridge along with my CPU.

Thanks!

The painting site seems to be down right now, I was going to consult it. :(

My recommendations for parts would be as follows (if you are interested in performance and not bling bling)

Dtek White Water or Dangerden RBX or TDX

Laing D4 pump from dangerden or swiftech, or a Danner Mag 3

biggest heatercore style radiator you can fit in your case

1/2" ID 3/4" OD clearflex tubing if you have a bigger case, 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubing if you have a cramped case

IM me (the real giblet) if you have more questions

The purple looks a lot better out in the sun. Or is that the second coat?

looks good! :cool:
ive been wanting to go to wc but i dont know if i have the heart/confidence to do that to my case, considering i only have 1.

That's pretty impressive to see someone moding their pc like that. Actually cutting it up and building something your own, not just something generic that anyone could buy. Pimp.

Giblet: Until stumbling upon your project here, I've only seen your posts harass.. umm debating the Aqua-Computer / smaller tubing guys. I've got to say, after reading your response to the guy calling your color scheme "gay"... ROFL

Props to you on your sense of humor and your modding skills.

Giblet Plus! said:
which ones? KQ92? 93X? 104.1?

I don't remember, all I know is that I was enjoying the hell out of them in my rental car. They were not the usual rock stations, I distinctly remember one of them playing alot of violent femmes. Other than Mall America and an incredible Pizza place to which name I can't remember it was the only cool thing I remember about Minnesota.

My local radio stations are trash, so generic and they play the same shit all the time.

This is some pretty hard core modding! thumbs up to you. i have just invested in a wc kit from wacc who are a lesser know water cooling company with some really sweet products. Nothing to this extent I have to say. I am interesed, is the paint you got glossy or what? On some pics it looks a bit crap but then the ones outside look really good! Is it car paint? Really want to see your next pics...

Chrisman5000 said:
My local radio stations are trash, so generic and they play the same shit all the time.

yeah, that's pretty much my opinion of the current stations here, you're probably thinking of something different than I

pandaking said:
This is some pretty hard core modding! thumbs up to you. i have just invested in a wc kit from wacc who are a lesser know water cooling company with some really sweet products. Nothing to this extent I have to say. I am interesed, is the paint you got glossy or what? On some pics it looks a bit crap but then the ones outside look really good! Is it car paint? Really want to see your next pics...

paint is normal spray paint, if you think it looks glossy outside, wait till I'm done wet sanding and using my new Meguiar's #1 and #7 cut and polish.

When you paint over a radiator you don't paint over the fins, correct? or does it not make a noticable difference in heat dissipation?

maxxo said:
When you paint over a radiator you don't paint over the fins, correct? or does it not make a noticable difference in heat dissipation?

On this particular unit I masked off the fins, however painting the outisde fins doesn't really influence the performance much.

That looks sweet. I take it you painted the inside white, I like it. Might paint the inside of mine, it looks far better.

Back