My VGA Silencer Review

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
So I dropped by the store to pick up a Rev2 model for my Sapphire Radeon 9700NP yesterday. The packaging is Thermalbreak style, in the blister-pack, for point-of-sale dealies. You can clearly see the cooler and all of the other contents. You got the cooler itself, some thermal paste (generic), instructions, a case badge, grounding plate, the rear bracket, and the top bracket (used to mount the Silencer). Just holding the package and from the heft, you could tell that this is a quality product. Another nice thing was the price, at only $30. The Zalman and Thermalbreak (except the Giant II) offerings are close to $50.

Got home, opened up the package. Damn this thing is huge! I like the way it looks too, especially with the blue fan and aluminum fins inside the plastic shroud. Taking a look at the base, it was decent, but nothing special. You can definitely see the milling marks produced in the manufacturing process. Most of the visible wires associated with the Silencer were sleeved & shrinked, which is a plus interms of cable management.

The base ridges were deep enough to tear up the paper towel I was using to clean off the base (70% isopropyl alcohol). After getting all impurities off the base, I then got a good amount of Ceramique, rubbed it into the base with a sandwich bag and wiped the base clean again. Now onto preparing the card.

My specific 9700NP had the notorious shim problem. But before I get onto that, there was thermal compound covering only about two-thirds of the core when I removed the stock heatsink (the circular Sapphire heatsink, not the rectangular ATI sink). At least it wasn't a thermal pad... it seemed to be some sort of silver-based (or silver-coloured) paste. The fact that there wasn't enough paste produced minor artifacts at 325/310 (up from a stock of 275/270). A reboot usually fixed these artifacts. The fan power connector from the stock fan was a big pain to get off. The plastic connector is pretty chewed up from all the attempts I made with the needlenose pliers. After I got the stock HSF off, I had to remove the shim. I didn't use a utility knife or unwaxed dental floss, I used a fine filet knife. I worked at one of the corners until I could slip the knife under the shim, and cut through the glue. In less than a minute, the shim popped off. Not so hard. I then cleaned up the core and applied a generous amount of Ceramique (as per Arctic Silver's instructions).

Before mounting the Silencer, one must remove the stock output bracket (what's it called??) at the back of the card by removing various nuts and screws. A grounding plate is mounted over the outputs (AC says this prevents crashing, so why not), then the two-layer bracket, with a cutout for air to escape. All connections are then plugged in.

With the Silencer laying fan down, one has to line up the holes in the video card with the holes in the Silencer's base. Then take the blue mounting bracket, line that up with the whole assembly, and tighten the screws so that they meet up at the rubber washers. This was were I got a bit worried... as I was nearing the washers, it took quite a bit of force to turn the screws. Since I didn't want to apply downward force to the screws and risk crushing the core, I almost stripped them. They're still good enough to use, but this Silencer isn't going to be coming off in a long time. Now the Silencer and mounting bracket form a sandwich with the card in between. It looks really cool.

Plug the card and all necessary power connectors back in, and fire it up. The machine booted fine, so I didn't kill my card. Got into Windows, and let the machine idle for a while, and took the temperature of the aluminum heatsink, using a basic probe I have. 32C idle at 275/270. Not bad, I have a lot of room left. Load temps were near 35C. This card was able to run at 325/310 without many problems (occasional artifacting) with the stock cooling solution. The temperatures at those speeds didn't really change much. The aluminum at the back of the card was still relatively cold to the touch. I slowly ramped up the core speeds (I'll do memory later), and now I'm at 370MHz on the core, without a single artifact!!! The heatsink is now quite warm to the touch, but well within comfortable limits. Gained 600 points in 3DMark2001SE, and about 500 points in 3DMark03... not that those benchmarks matter anyway. Case temperatures haven't really changed... because my case temp is already lower than average. But one thing that has changed in my case was the southbridge temperature... the backfiring action of the fan causes cold air to be blown directly into the heatsink I have on the nForce2 MCP-T. Very nice.

So far, this is an outstanding product, well worth the ~$35 CDN(total). There have been instances of people borking their cards, but I fail to see how that could happen. If you've built a computer before, you can install the VGA Silencer. It didn't take an hour, and I even had to remove the shim. The only negative things that I can see would be the lack of Rev3 availability (a guy at the shop told me yesterday that Rev3s should be coming in about a month or so). Rev3 adds 9600 compatibility and possibly some other refinements.

Recommended. Pics may come soon, I have to get my hands on a camera. Hopefully I haven't missed anything :p

Arctic Cooling's VGA Silencer page
Where I bought it

overall.jpg

rear.jpg

top.jpg

installed.jpg

I have since removed the silver northbridge heatsink from the top of the card, as well as the stock heatspreader that sits ontop of the voltage regulators. I now have one large TSOP ramsink sitting on them, which picks up a lot more heat.

Wow. That's a really good OC. Thanks for the review, and I may have to pick up one myself.

<sarcasm>
Be careful kids! The VGA silencer has been known to burn crops and steal children!
</sarcasm>

Seriously though, nice review, thanks for the effort. I have one running on my kids' PC at low speed in an effort to quiet it down. I have installed it on two cards for a total of 4 times without issue. Highly recommended product.

What are the competitors of the VGA Silencer? I've heard the Giant III is a valid competitor, but anyone know of anything else to try?

Originally posted by lorcani
What are the competitors of the VGA Silencer? I've heard the Giant III is a valid competitor, but anyone know of anything else to try?

Isnt the GIANTIII a thermaltake product? If so it sucks....

I got 460/370 as my max OC on my R9800pro with Arctic Silencer. Definately a good product.

i love this product...........lowered cpu temps about 5 degrees at full load also..................this is a keeper in my book

Originally posted by KINgGh0sT
Ya, that's what we all needed to hear.

truth be told....the only thermaltake stuff that really cools good, only wokr because the have some 40+ db fans on it...

the rest of there stuff is crapola...thats main selling point is looks.

:D Great review! I'll finally be mounting mine on my new card sometime this week. Four differences that I expect from your installation:

1. Most likely won't remove shim if it's like my last card that was dead.

2. If I do have to remove the shim, then I'll be trying the dental floss thing first.

3. I won't use the double slot thing in the back because I've heard it restricts air flow a bit. I'll probably also make some sort of duct to bridge the gap between back of Silencer and slot.

4. I'll be plugging the power into a Vantec Nexus fan controller and moving the hi/lo switch somewhere else and leave it on Hi.

Thanks for the feedback.

The GiantIII is liked by few people as far as I'm concerned. It's not very quiet at all. The reverflow fan (or whatever it's called) isn't very quiet... and the hamster wheel at the top of the heatsink is just ridiculous. The Silencer is very nice at High Speed. A good amount of air blowing out of the case.

The Zalman ZM80C is a good competitor to the VGA Silencer, it's a bit more money especially if you buy the optionaly fan (you can use any fan really though). I like it more than the VGA Silencer, it seems to be of higher quality, the base is grooved so that you don't even have to worry about taking the shim off an ATI card, and it had a very nice finish on the base.

It's a good product... but it dumps all it's heat into the the rest of the case, where the Silencer removes it from the case. That was what sold me.

You know what I usually do to video cards that need good cooling?

Stick a (big) socket sink and use thermal epoxy. Might not look cool as the vga silencers but it does a better job than video card cooler. I've always done this to all my cards that need major cooling. It's also way cheaper than $35 you paid just for cooling.

(big) depends on how much much cooling I need.

Originally posted by Marvelous
You know what I usually do to video cards that need good cooling?

Stick a (big) socket sink and use thermal epoxy. Might not look cool as the vga silencers but it does a better job than video card cooler. I've always done this to all my cards that need major cooling. It's also way cheaper than $35 you paid just for cooling.

(big) depends on how much much cooling I need.
That's cool too, but having a large CPU heatsink on there makes the whole assembly quite heavy...

Originally posted by _Korruption_
That's cool too, but having a large CPU heatsink on there makes the whole assembly quite heavy...

Doesn't it make it unstable and prone to literally snapping the PCB in half?

Poor people with poorly-designed air flow have to rely on the Silencer to extract the hot air. When you could add some extraction fans to produce a similar result.

It's true, you know! They sell PCI bracket hamster fans just for the purpose of extracting hot air from the case! And then again, you could use any fan to get rid of that pesky air.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
Poor people with poorly-designed air flow have to rely on the Silencer to extract the hot air. When you could add some extraction fans to produce a similar result.

It's true, you know! They sell PCI bracket hamster fans just for the purpose of extracting hot air from the case! And then again, you could use any fan to get rid of that pesky air.
That's far from the truth in my situation. I have the ever-so-popular Chieftec Dragon, with two front intakes, one side intake, and two rear exhausts. It's a very well ventilated case. My case temperature is always around the ambient temperature of my basement recreation room. With a case temperature of around 22C, the Silencer isn't taking hot air out... which explains my superb overclock. Not many can boast about going from 275MHz to 370MHz (still going as we speak).

And a CPU heatsink will snap the PCB in half, that's pretty much a given if you don't handle the machine properly.

My case is extremely well ventilated, we'll see what happens when I get my vga silencer and ramsinks.

Talking about well ventilated cases.... I have 2x120mm (blowing over the video card and CPU) and 9x 80mm (including 2 PSU fans) and the VGA Silencer still increased my overclock by about 25mhz on the core over the Zalman HP-80C.

There's a difference between a well-ventilated case, and a well-designed ventilation. You can have 50 fans, that aren't doing as nearly well as nine in another case.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
There's a difference between a well-ventilated case, and a well-designed ventilation. You can have 50 fans, that aren't doing as nearly well as nine in another case.
Sorry for being unclear... but the Chieftec Dragon can be described as being designed properly. I run 5x Low-Speed Panaflos, which move quite a bit of air for the noise they produce (or lack thereof). I agree with your statement... I tell that to newbs all the time.

You do not have to put the biggest socket a sink. Just your average sink and it does better job than a video card cooler. I've never had a video card snap because of this.

But still, any Socket A sink is going to be a lot denser and have a lower centre of gravity (when installed), which brings up the risk of snapping the card. This only takes up one slot, and there's pretty much no risk once you install the Silencer.

I have the exact same amount of cfm coming in as I have coming out. I have 2 80mm at the bottom front of my case and 2 80mm at the bottom of the side panel pulling in right under the video card. I have 1 80mm pulling out at the normal spot and the 120mm is pulling out at the top of the case. Nice assumption, but it's wrong.

what ever floats your boat. I never had a sink snap off a whole vid card. A cheap socket a sink costs $5. I even put it on my old voodoo 3, radeon ddr vivo, geforce cards etc. Most of the socket sinks don't weigh over 8oz. I've had few of them come off the vid card before because I didn't use silver epoxy. I used crazy glue and thermal paste instead.

It's also much better cooling than any vid card cooler will ever be. It's also not lout either if you just use a quite little fan cause that's all you need.

Couple questions did you really need to remove the shim?

What did you use to clean the thermal goo from the gpu, just the 70% isopropyl alcohol?

well done on a good review :). what is the shim and will i need to remove it on a sapphire 9800 pro and powercolor 9800 pro? My sapphire's board is different to the reference ati / powercolor boards - very slightly, just the positions of some resistors and a few small differences.

The shim is basically a "border" that goes around the gpu, I believe the main reason it is there is so that the heatsink stays flat on the core.

I don't know the answer to if you will need to remove it, I don't know the answer for myself even for an aiw 9800 pro.

Originally posted by Shieze
Couple questions did you really need to remove the shim?

What did you use to clean the thermal goo from the gpu, just the 70% isopropyl alcohol?
Yes, the core was verified to be lower than the shim (I used a razor blade to confirm). I had to remove it. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol was used, nothing more.

Originally posted by Shieze
The shim is basically a "border" that goes around the gpu, I believe the main reason it is there is so that the heatsink stays flat on the core.

I don't know the answer to if you will need to remove it, I don't know the answer for myself even for an aiw 9800 pro.

Ok thanks, I'm going to fit a friends Powercolor 9800 PRO with a VGA Silencer tomorrow (not sure which revision) and my own Sapphirre 9800 PRO with a Rev1 VGA Silencer - arrives tomorrow, hopefully everything will be smooth sailing and I won't need to remove the shim or break anything :).

I got and installed my Rev2 silencer today. It dropped my temps by 7C idle at 9800XT speeds.

49C Idle / 55C load - VGA Silencer

Compared to

56C Idle / 70C Load - Stock

Not bad.

Only got about 12mhz more out of my core with it though. I need to volt mod it, but I'd have to find somebody I could pay to do it. My goal was to get a comfortable 9800xt stock speed with a 256mb 9800p flashed to 9800xt. This cooler allowed me to do just that :) .

I got about an extra 10mhz on the core with my VGA silencer, on my 9800 Pro. Seems like these things don't do much for the 9800 Pro.

I still have a 9500p, but this hs has gotten it as high as 425/344. I run at 415 cuz that's where its stable, and I also run radlinker, so its almost always at 275 unless I'm playing games. Keeps the temps nice and low. The is amazing, and it beats the crap out of my previous AMD HSF setup. Hopefully everyone knows this, but www.svc.com has the Rev2 for $9.99. I'm not sure of the coupon code, but it should be in the deals forum.

Whats all this shim talk about floss and razor blades ? I orderded a silencer to test againt my thermal take giant II (the stock fan on it died within 2 weeks strapped a 80mm 30cfm antec on it). Even with all my mods to it I only got 410/365 in the end. I got about 4mhz more out of my core that was it. Im thinking somthing it has to do with the shim ive never messed with the shim so if you could give me more details on what to look for/do.

Seemsl ike a pretty good product, nice review :) Will the VGA Silencer fit a GeForceFX 5900XT? If not, what do you guys recommend to cool it?

This is the shim that came off my 9700. It's just a square piece surrounding the core, that tries to prevent the heatsink from crushing whatever's under it. Removing it usually means better contact between the heatsink base and the GPU core. It's a bit of a risky thing to do, as some have borked their cards trying to remove their shim. Most 9800 cards don't have the shim problem, so most can get away not removing anything.

It will not fit any GeForceFX card.

Originally posted by _Korruption_
This is the shim that came off my 9700. It's just a square piece surrounding the core, that tries to prevent the heatsink from crushing whatever's under it. Removing it usually means better contact between the heatsink base and the GPU core. It's a bit of a risky thing to do, as some have borked their cards trying to remove their shim. Most 9800 cards don't have the shim problem, so most can get away not removing anything.

Is it really worth borking your card and ruining your warranty for a few extra Mhz OC? It seems like a hell of a risk to me.

Back