My Water Cooled Ephex -built by Maingear

Three questions...
First why didn't you get the thing overclocked, you could have saved a lot of money.

Second, Why the 1000W power supply, overkill?

Third, why the Raptors?

Still, nice system! :eek::eek:

Nice routing on the hdd, i was just saying that because all the wire you see by the hdd you wont anymore if you flip um, but it looks nice the way you did it if you dont wanna flip um.

Three questions...
First why didn't you get the thing overclocked, you could have saved a lot of money.

Second, Why the 1000W power supply, overkill?

Third, why the Raptors?

Still, nice system! :eek::eek:

1,000 watt PS. why not, cant ever have enough power..arggh arrgh (in a tim allen voice)

I didnt over clock becuase it would have taken more time to get the system and i wasnt sure i wanted it over clocked. i got two raptors because they are fast and i backup a lot of things on the 2nd drive. i do wish i had gotten the pc overclocked now though. just was not sure back then and affraid of it because of stability issues and what not. i will not raid though..do not like that.

Nice routing on the hdd, i was just saying that because all the wire you see by the hdd you wont anymore if you flip um, but it looks nice the way you did it if you dont wanna flip um.

i been looking at that before you said something as well. just thought i would try something.. i thnk it turned out pretty good actually.

Wow $8600! All my monitors and computers dont add up to that much lol (and I got a good amount ;)). Looks nice though. As a college student I can never afford that much on a single piece of hardware.

the last game i actually played all the way threw was crysis. i run it at ,1600x1200 res all settings on max but the shadows and post processing on medium.

here are some games that i own and have tried since owning this machine. they all run super smooth at max settings.

doom 3
call of duty 4
crysis
company of heroes
elder scrolls oblivion
rainbow six vegas
prey
quake 4
nfs pro street
gears of war
enemy territory -quake wars
command and conquer tiberian wars

those are some games that ive tried a ton of games since i got the machine. its so awesome being able to run them at full settings. crysis is still a killer though..seems like its something to do with sli. seems smoother and faster when its not in sli mode.

incase anyone is curious i did benmark it once. i dont know much about benchmarking myself. i never done it before but when it showed me the results i looked on their site and it said i had the 3rd or somewhere around there fastest machine. i find that hard to believe...dunno; whats you guys take on that ? i did it with the free version of 3dmark 06.

here is what was on my pc whenever i got it...maingear ran it before hand.

2004826447053218082_rs.jpg

It probably said third highest of similar computers, like people with the same cpu and gpu ( in your case plural) as you.

I think so, im not sure though. Maybe you should overclock the cpu and gpu and the score will go wayy higher.

I'm sure it would.. i probably would have opted for the 3 video cards in sli had it been available at the time.

thanks. i been talking on the maingear board about 32 and 64 bit vista. i sure wish i had went with 64 bit, but i didnt know the difference at the time.

wonder if there is a way to get 64 bit instead. i know i have read about people using their 32 bit key on a oem 64 bit disc. either way i dont want to cheat nothing, i want a real copy, one i can update and also not worry about things going wrong or getting in trouble.
sure wish i had gotten 64 bit instead...also because 64 bit ultimate is about 400 freakn dollars.

if you have a 32-bit license I thought I have read you can contact Microsoft and upgrade it rather easily to 64-bit license.

Someone might have better info than myself however.

some posted something like that to me on another board. said something about why dont i get ahold of microsoft and have a disc shipped out. i been scratching my head about it every since. searching all over the net.

actually it doesn't look possible. You need a clean install and a full copy of Vista 64-bit according to what I have read. You can use the "Anytime Upgrade" to upgrade (for the cost of shipping) to newer versions but it must match the system type being upgraded. 32-bit systems only can upgrade to 32-bit, 64-bit to 64-bit, etc.

Here is a little bit of info

EDIT: and a bit more info

For such a rig, it's a bit of a shame not to have the Raptor's raided.

Not true, the advantages v. disadvantages is not always worth it, he is perfectly fine with his speed and performance of how it plays and works so I would leave it how it is.

dreamer is right. the pc is a beast. i sure wish i had known more about what 32, and 64 bit meant though. i definitely would have went with 64 bit vista.

its a very smooth system congratz, but 4 $8600 ouchh.
i have a similar system. only thing i not have its a water block and not sli.
and the max i spend its a $2500
wideqv2.jpg

dsc02732rn5.jpg

i suggest change your waterblock and pump.

if he wanted to fiddle around with water cooling I wouldn't imagine he would have ordered from Maingear...:confused:

man oh man, some people will never, EVER, get the idea of pre-builts...:D

That's a beautiful system. Glad you're happy with your purchase. And to everyone on why he got 2 raptors, I think "because he can" is a good enough answer.

sweet rig, enjoy it. i 2nd the wire management in these boutique pc manufacturers. i wouldnt be able to do that good of a job either.

exactly what they said above, i didnt want to "fiddle" with the water cooling or the wiring.
also there is the warranty, customer service, update plans...

what desk is that and where did you buy it? I've been looking for a nice desk for a while that has room for the tower ontop, and some high shelving like that, also a big keyboard tray that will fit my saitek exclipseII plus a mouse.

Thats a wicked setup. very good job, the desktop really matches the environment if you know what i mean... I love that case as well, good job!!

Back