MySpace Lays Off Half of Staff

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the rumors last month were true, MySpace just laid off almost half its staff. Not sure how it is even possible to put a positive spin on 500 people losing their jobs but the company sure is trying.

News Corp.'s MySpace made official on Tuesday a reduction of 47 percent of its staff. The cuts across divisions will hit about 500 people, the social networking firm said.

In a few years Facebook will be facing the same problems. Its inevitable that media fueled popularity ends fast and hard.

Didn't happen soon enough. I can't wait for Myspace and ilk to die off.

Adios muchacho.

The only benefit of having social sites around is that the email spammers moved on to harass their users leaving normal people alone.

Less spam is good.

I know! Genius idea! Why doesn't News Corps put it behind a paywall! It worked for all their other sites....

facebook may eventually fail, but only if it is replaced by something better.

people will never tire of talking about themselves and peering into the lives of those they only sort of know.

In a few years Facebook will be facing the same problems. Its inevitable that media fueled popularity ends fast and hard.

Doubtful. It's valued at 50 billion, and will become public here soon.

With that much money = innovation/evolution

They have the funds to do more, than myspace ever did. Myspace's problem was not evolving and it's outdated layout.

Facebook will definitely start trending down soon, don't think it will collapse any time in the near future.

Myspace was just garbage that was not good at doing what it did. They grew quicklu because they were the first to hit mainstream. They collapsed easily to competition because it was a piece of shit that was never even polished, let alone improved.

Until there is something new and fresh, I can't see facebook declining. MySpace's decline is directly related to Facebook's success.

Bout fn time, maybe once FB and myspace die people will leave me alone constantly asking me to sign up with either.

Bout fn time, maybe once FB and myspace die people will leave me alone constantly asking me to sign up with either.
Lol, not gonna happen. The only way FB is going down is if something new and better comes along. Then you will have everyone wanting you to sign up for that one as well, lol.

I never could stand MySpace with all the kiddies wanting to add all the glittery shit and all the auto start music players, as if I want to listen to some of that shit they call music, lol.

facebook will go the way of livejournal, friendster and now myspace. Especially as by all accounts Zuckerburg seems kind of like a creepy evil dude.

In a few years Twitter will be facing the same problems. Its inevitable that media fueled popularity ends fast and hard.

FIFY. I think Facebook is here to stay despite whether you like it or not. Nearly everyone has a fb account (except me, Mr. "Forever Alone," and I'm contemplating an account), everyone and their mother is integrating the shit out of facebook's features into their website/smartphone/dumbphone/television/toaster/car/refrigerator, and it's valued to be between $30-$50 billion by investors.

Twitter, OTOH, will probably flounder and fail, and a couple years down the road, will reach the same fate that both digg and myspace are now experiencing. It's redundant, it has strange gimmicks like the 140 character limit and hash marks, and people that aren't of HS age either update their posts about once a month or simply don't give a flying fuck.

There is a MUCH more interesting question and it's a scary one:

When the first massive social networking site, such as MySpace, finally goes under and shuts down who or what entity will ensure that the untold terabytes of highly personal information will actually be destroyed or properly secured and stored as the law demands?

Get out the popcorn.

There is a MUCH more interesting question and it's a scary one:

When the first massive social networking site, such as MySpace, finally goes under and shuts down who or what entity will ensure that the untold terabytes of highly personal information will actually be destroyed or properly secured and stored as the law demands?

Get out the popcorn.

Excellent and scary as hell question simultaneously. There does need to be a government agency in charge of data disposal in the event of a massive site like that going under but oh wait, they will just incorporate all that personal data into their archives so you are all screwed either way :)

Reminds me of the song My Mom's on facebook. "I'll have to switch back to MySpace. Not really!"

I don't do either. It's [h]ard enough to visit the [h]ardforum for me as it it.

Myspace is already dead. Why don't they just shut down?

Because they make money still.... the same exact way gaycebook makes their easy money (hey, after all, they stole myspaces' "thunder" without a doubt!)

And that is....... ad revenue from the little ads on the right side of either of these sites.... the ones that sell lameass, plastic, chinese junk shit for $9.99 (plus S/H!).

Adblock and friends like noscript are killing social networking sites ad revenue it appears (hoorray!)

They are all fads, we'll all be talking in this same type thread in 2-3 years except the word myspace will be replaced with facebook

Back