MySpace To Offer Parental Control Tool

HardOCP News

[H] News
MySpace is making a parental notification tool so that you can find out what name, age and location children use on their profiles. Can someone please explain to me how a software tool like Zephyr will not be misused by every creep on the planet?

Parents will be able to use the software, named “Zephyr,” to find out what name, age and location their children use to represent themselves on MySpace, the Journal said. It would not allow parents to read their children’s e-mail or see their profile pages, and it would alert children that their information was being shared, the paper reported.

Myspace needs to be shut down. Purevolume does everything myspace initially wanted to do, but way better.

Well, parents like me use MySpace for obvious reasons....spying. :D

I've searched my zip code and found 200 kids that go to school with my daughter. There they are, drinking, smoking, partying, posing in their underwear...you know...stuff 12 - 16 year olds SHOULDN'T be doing. MySpace does absolutely nothing about it, so most of us parents use the whole site as a tool to see what our kids friends are doing.

...hey kid, your MySpace page just got you banned from my house...Oh, and I called your parents too. :D

I've searched my zip code and found 200 kids that go to school with my daughter. There they are, drinking, smoking, partying, posing in their underwear...you know...stuff 12 - 16 year olds SHOULDN'T be doing. MySpace does absolutely nothing about it, so most of us parents use the whole site as a tool to see what our kids friends are doing.

...hey kid, your MySpace page just got you banned from my house...Oh, and I called your parents too. :D

The heads of Res Life at my college would go on Facebook and look for pictures of underage students and athletes drinking and/or doing other things they ought not be doing. They would then act accordingly.

Facebook offers a problem for the students in that others can tag them in pictures without that person's permission. They could have no knowledge of what pictures are posted with them in it.

There doesn't seem to be a good balance between prying into someone's 'public privacy' and leaving them to do what they will.

Yes, while having your parents looking in on your myspace may be somewhat of a "privacy intrusion", it's really not more than their rights. And that would be the best way to. A tool such as the before mentioned while find it's way into the wrong hands easily enough, and make myspace just that much more exploitable. If parents aren't responsible enough to make their own myspace and check on their kids, or just not allow them to have a myspace at all, then it's their bad.

But I'm just saying what everyone already knows so yeah.

If parents aren't responsible enough to make their own myspace and check on their kids, or just not allow them to have a myspace at all, then it's their bad.

Whoa whoa whoa, you can't hold parents responsible for learning computers (where applicable) enough to create a myspace page. You can't hold them to make a myspace page to begin with. You're basically requiring ALL parents to spy on their children if they use myspace. While I'm sure the people behind myspace would be happy to have that traffic (assuming it doesn't overload them), I'm sure a coalition of parents would soon form to petition the site.

Parental responsibility starts long before lending their children the use of a computer.

Whoa whoa whoa, you can't hold parents responsible for learning computers (where applicable) enough to create a myspace page. You can't hold them to make a myspace page to begin with. You're basically requiring ALL parents to spy on their children if they use myspace. While I'm sure the people behind myspace would be happy to have that traffic (assuming it doesn't overload them), I'm sure a coalition of parents would soon form to petition the site.

Parental responsibility starts long before lending their children the use of a computer.

True, I guess. Responsibility should start before there. But it should continue past there too. I'm just saying that if parents can't keep tabs on their children than they can't really complain about whatever they are doing on myspace that's all.

Amen to that.

Thats about the only good thing Myspace is for.

I work back at my old high school part time during my breaks from college, and now, the school actually suspends kids from school for what is on their myspace pages. If they are seen drinking, they are kicked off sports teams and suspended. If they talk shit to someone else, they get suspended. I think its rather stupid, but these asshats at school are stupid enough to post anything on the internet. :p

rofl...LMFAO!!!

Hell, college, employers, even the millitary use myspace and facebook to spy on people.

Back in my home town a kid was stupid enough to make a profile to badmouth and threaten the principal of the local HS... got kicked outta school

Hell, college, employers, even the millitary use myspace and facebook to spy on people.

Back in my home town a kid was stupid enough to make a profile to badmouth and threaten the principal of the local HS... got kicked outta school

a kid at my private school got punished bad by receiving 5 saturaday detentions which at my shcool is cleaning the school and school-owned buses from 8:00am-1:00PM

What happened to free speech?

I hate parents like you. :eek:

Isn't it easy to disagree with someone without saying anything further?

What happened to mutual respect?
See below:
I think people like you tend to forget what the boundaries of free speech entails.

So remind "people like me." Thank you for including me in a stereotype.

But am I mad? No. And I'm not going to parallel your comment. You've every right to say what you want about me. What if that principal was a total jackass? It's easy for him to abuse his power and penalize the student. I'm not saying I completely disagree with the student's punishment; threatening certainly crosses a line, but it wasn't direct, and one cannot say with complete certainty that what the student said had any substance in relaton to his/her intentions. Would you rather the student swore off the principal face-to-face and worry administration about potential violence, or have the student vent frustration online to friends and peers?

There won't be any resolution to this topic. Myspace exists and parents can use it to spy. If a game has an exploit, people use it. "If it's in the game, you can use it."

Thats a good way to do things. But still, the amount of information posted on these pages is way outta control. You can find out anything about anyone. I guess when it first became popular the local pd was surfing around trying to find pictures of kids doing illegal activitys and busted a few...that stopped.

I still don't understand how the guy justifies himself calling OTHER peoples parents. That's not your kid, for all you know they're allowed to drink/smoke. Mind your own damn business! :eek:

But am I mad? No. And I'm not going to parallel your comment. You've every right to say what you want about me. What if that principal was a total jackass? It's easy for him to abuse his power and penalize the student. I'm not saying I completely disagree with the student's punishment; threatening certainly crosses a line, but it wasn't direct, and one cannot say with complete certainty that what the student said had any substance in relaton to his/her intentions. Would you rather the student swore off the principal face-to-face and worry administration about potential violence, or have the student vent frustration online to friends and peers?

There won't be any resolution to this topic. Myspace exists and parents can use it to spy. If a game has an exploit, people use it. "If it's in the game, you can use it."

1. The principal isn't a total jackas (remember, from my high school)

2. The kid was a nut-job. Hell, he stalked me for a year (See changing schedules for the sole purpose of being in the same class)

3 See my reply about threatening to kill the prinicpal

Expelling a student from school also isn't left up to the principal alone. The school board has to be in on it too (elected officials)
Also, it is important to remember that he made that profile for the express reason of making threats to the principal.

I still don't understand how the guy justifies himself calling OTHER peoples parents. That's not your kid, for all you know they're allowed to drink/smoke. Mind your own damn business! :eek:

I think it falls under "It takes a village.." idealogy. Besides, what does it hurt? If the parents don't care, then they don't care if they hear about it. Nothing's going to change for that kid. But if the parent's just don't know it's going on, but would otherwise care if they did, then yeah, they have a right to know. I'm sorry, but being a good parent doesn't mean that you know exactly what your kid is doing at alls time of the day. That's just downright impossible.

"Thank you for getting raped by a 45 yr old Mary, we can be rich now! We don't have to be parents anymore cuz when you fuck up, we can just sue the companies who do the things you fuck up with! Whats that? You want a car for your birthday? Sure! You can drive it drunk too for all we care. We'll just sue the beer companies and automakers when you crash it. Maybe we'll sue the family of the kid you killed while driving drunk cuz he was in your way!"

I'm glad some parents use it to spy on their kids. My uncle does the samething to my little cousin. Which I think he should, cuz her boyfriend had his hands in her pants the last time I went to visit the fam. She is 17 now. Still not legal. So its good to use for spying. You're a good parent if you do that. These idiots expecting to get millions of dollars for their kid getting abused is amazing to me. When are we gonna pass the laws that don't allow this kind of shit to happen. I have a feeling it will just get worse and worse and will get to the point that I just outlined above. Sigh...

1. The principal isn't a total jackas (remember, from my high school)

2. The kid was a nut-job. Hell, he stalked me for a year (See changing schedules for the sole purpose of being in the same class)

3 See my reply about threatening to kill the prinicpal

Expelling a student from school also isn't left up to the principal alone. The school board has to be in on it too (elected officials)
Also, it is important to remember that he made that profile for the express reason of making threats to the principal.

And none of this was in your original post.

Well, we say "SPY" but it is a PUBLIC website. If you are "spying" then you are SPYING on me everyday when you visit here :D Damn stalkers!

Anyhow, all I did was send him a link to a public website on the internet...

...damn shame that it was his minor child posing in a see-thru nighty, at a party, drinking and smoking.

If you were driving home from work and you saw a BILLBOARD on the side of the (information super) highway that was advertsing a party in your neighbors house, with his MINOR children, doing illegal activities...you wouldn't call him and say "you need to see this billboard"?

Damn bro, I just banned you from being my neighbor ;)

Originally Posted by DarkStar02
I still don't understand how the guy justifies himself calling OTHER peoples parents. That's not your kid, for all you know they're allowed to drink/smoke. Mind your own damn business!

If they hang out with my kids..it is my business....

I find that is almost too much. I mean finding out what your kid doing to fine. But searching up other kids and telling their parents. Your kid will be hated for what you did. Also kids should be kids. We all have done something bad that our parents never found out about, but hey we are still living today.

I find that is almost too much. I mean finding out what your kid doing to fine. But searching up other kids and telling their parents. Your kid will be hated for what you did. Also kids should be kids. We all have done something bad that our parents never found out about, but hey we are still living today.

I was smart enough to not write about or take pictures of my actions until the statute of limitations has lapsed. :p

See my post above.

If you are the type of person FOR minors drinking, smoking, sex in my neighbors (or mine) house...but AGAINST a responsible parent that has witnessed those illegal activities (yes, illegal) giving another parent a heads up...well, I don't know what to tell you. :confused:

If someone hates me because of it, that is a stronger statement about them than it is about me...don't you think? Both my children and I are popular...with the right people ;)

See my post above.

If you are the type of person FOR minors drinking, smoking, sex in my neighbors (or mine) house...but AGAINST a responsible parent that has witnessed those illegal activities (yes, illegal) giving another parent a heads up...well, I don't know what to tell you. :confused:

If someone hates me because of it, that is a stronger statement about them than it is about me...don't you think? Both my children and I are popular...with the right people ;)

Ya i understand what you are doing and i think its a good thing. I just believe some one should go out of their way to look up kids and then go tell their parents.

My biggest complaint (or maybe I'm just too stupid to find it) is that I can't block children from trying to contact me! Not the other way around, like the block on adults from being able to contact children)

I'd like to set myspace up so that I don't even SEE the profiles of those under 18, but.. Nope.. can't do that..!

now this is pitiful we've got 13-14 year olds on here trying to defend their use of myspace and right to "privacy".

you also might be one of those kids I don't like..:)

Absolutely.

now this is pitiful we've got 13-14 year olds on here trying to defend their use of myspace and right to "privacy".

I'm not trying to defend my right to privacy, my parents go on my myspace all the time. I don't know what they're expecting to see as they already know I'm a corrupted child.

No editing in this thread-

My point of this is that when people call my parents and tell them stuff I can't help but feel upset because the only thing that THEY are trying to do is get me into trouble. However, because I keep my grades up, don't get into any trouble in school or anything, and I am mostly a good kid, I am allowed to do the stuff that I do. I know you're thinking "Well, no harm in letting them know if they're allowed to do it, right?", but bottom line is it still isn't a good feeling.

Back