Mystery Chip in New Shuffle’s Headphones Causes Concern

f-inax-wp11.jpg

The Shuffle is basically the only Apple product I will buy, because it fills one very specific need very well (a MP3 player that won't die at the first sign of moisture)
I got a refurb 3G 8GB Nano when the new 4G came out, for cheap ($99). I bought a small hardshell case with a rubber wheel cover that keeps moisture out, and has a clip so I can keep it on my athletic shorts. I bought some cheap Panasonice earclip sport headphones that are highly water resistant ($15). All of this works absolutely great when working out.

That's got to be great for battery life.

Fucking morons. I wish there was a better alternative to the iPod line, but alas, there really isn't... Nothing provides gapless playback to the degree I'd need.

It probably draws next to no power.

seriously, who cares that you can only use those headphones with it? the device itself is so freaking stupid... i love my ipod (rockbox ftw) but seriously who decided an mp3 player without a display or buttons was a good idea? at that point you might as well just buy a sansa "click once for blah, click twice for blah blah, frantically click to initate self destruct sequence"

The old shuffle didn't have any sort of lock on it. I usually clip it to my belt when I'm at the gym, and on certain movement the buttons get pushed accidentally resulting in the song changing/my ear drums being blasted out. I'd take the new shuffle over the old, personally.

Also if I had to take a guess, I think the chip probably serializes the button controls to be sent down to the shuffle.

The case with Apple isn't about making better products but having a big hard core of supports that pony up the cash regardless of what they come up with and a big marketing and legal department.

Non-sequitor says what?

So, HRM then (headphone rights management). No thanks, Apple. You took what was once a good product and replaced it with a shitty boring one that's made all-the-shittier by controlling what headphones I can and cannot use with it. Way to go.

This iPhone was the last thing Apple I'll ever buy after reading this.

I will admit this phone is damn spiffy though.

I'm glad Apple did this, it will really cut down on all the Apple-crap out there. There is too much 3rd party hardware that is sub-par or just floods the gates. Hopefully this will allow them to filterout items that aren't needed. Then again, I don't really want to spent $45 for a set of headphones, but I guess you can't win them all.

Back