Mysticode's Annual CES Case Thread: 2013 Edition!

Mysticode

Gawd
As per last year, I am starting up this thread so we can all come together and report on new case information coming out of CES.

This year I will be attending CES luckily, and will arrive on January the 9th. I will be on the lookout for every new case I can spot, and if possible take some photos and post them back to this thread when I have time.

If any of you already have information on cases that will be revealed at CES, or rumor links, please feel free to post here.

Who knows, maybe one year other HardOCP fans can do a meetup at CES!

Hoping to see images & details coming on the Corsair 900D, the Fractal Design Define XL R2, the Rosewill Throne, the Silverstone Raven RV04 & the Fortress FT04, the Xigmatech Talon, and many more.

Enjoy - wish I was going!

I will be sure to be on the look out for those cases just for you replying to this thread.

Sad how inactive this forum is these days. :(

Yea, I really want to see the 900D.

I have gone the last two years but I wouldn't call it exactly fun. I had to pay my own way and work the show.

So this year I decided that I wasn't going. Going to sit at home and watch the news pour in. I am pretty sure that [H] doesn't go to CES.

It is fun but paying your own way to cover the show for a website isn't the way it's supposed to work.

I will be sure to be on the look out for those cases just for you replying to this thread.

Sad how inactive this forum is these days. :(

I'll be moving to a new apartment over the next couple days - as soon as I get hooked up in the new place I'll check back to see all the new cases!

Since I will also be getting a new case shortly (if all goes well) I am extremely interested in seeing these.

Besides - I'll admit to being a PC case design aficionado supreme!

Love looking at new concepts...

I hope you enjoy yourself, my man.

I want to see what new cases there are from Lian Li, hopefully something new and sleek.

I'm liking the aesthetics of the new Thermaltake Urban. Wonder how it looks inside.

The 900D looks preety good, Somewhat reminds me of a TJ07 but more square and lots of cable management options

I want to see what new cases there are from Lian Li, hopefully something new and sleek.

Sleeker than the train case ?

I keep looking at some of the newer micro-ATX or even mini-ITX cases. You can squeeze quite a bit of power in smaller cases these days. I'm looking at LL and Silverstone, but may consider one of the alternatives if it fits the job and is done right. Maybe Fractal Design ?

Hrm, the Raven Fortress cases look interesting, even though I'm a little sad they lost the rotated MB layout...

If you guys have any questions about the 900D or whatever, you can hit me up at the reddit AMA here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/16bpxj/we_are_corsair_a_computer_hardware_company_ask_us/

Between you and Corsair George on another forum, you guys really take the cake on keeping your customer base informed on this beastie!

I'm getting pretty much all of the info I need on this - my new dream case.

I'm looking for an interim replacement case for what I'm using now - keeping my current rig until Haswell (etc.) is stabilized and I see what motherboards are coming for them.

After that, I plan on building an all-new system and hopefully will be able to house it in the 'Zilla!

(a rear view is all I've been unable to find so far...)

Psst - I am Corsair George on OCN. :)

Are you currently seeing a doctor about this?* :D

If I didn't need a paying job, I'd be begging you for an intern position... and not so I could go to Vegas (blecch), but just to be involved in the design & engineering of PC enclosures!

The innovations in the 900D are so much up my alley of interest.

* I suppose it's OK when both of your personalities have common interests and are so knowledgable...

The 900D looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on one to tear it down to see what it's really made of. Hopefully I will be happier with it than I was with the 800D. I was pretty disappointed with how much plastic there was on a $300 case. Hopefully this is not the case with the 900. :)

Sleeker than the train case ?

I keep looking at some of the newer micro-ATX or even mini-ITX cases. You can squeeze quite a bit of power in smaller cases these days. I'm looking at LL and Silverstone, but may consider one of the alternatives if it fits the job and is done right. Maybe Fractal Design ?

Ah I should've clarified a bit more, sleek HTPC case that's thinner and slightly smaller than my PC-C37 whilst still looking good (now thinking about the PC-N1/NUC for a size downgrade).

Love those videos! The "Mammoth" looks very interesting! Looking forward to see how that one develops.

Hrm, the Raven Fortress cases look interesting, even though I'm a little sad they lost the rotated MB layout...
+1 on that! Just bought an FT02 even though I knew that the FT04 was coming out...

Why did you do it SilverStone??? WHY!?!

FT-04 is going to be my next case...

Said that right up to the point where I saw they ditched the hanging motherboard design.

FT-04 is going to be my next case...

Said that right up to the point where I saw they ditched the hanging motherboard design.

I don't like the direction SS is going with their new designs. When the SG09 was released, the community hated the front panel, now they released the SG10.
Like as if they thought people were going to let SS release that plastic nonsense?

Which brings us to the RV04 design. Nonsense.

Mid-Tower Reverse ATX? No thanks.

The FT04/RV04 should have been full-tower designs. Three 180mm fans upfront and more case depth to clear the HDD bays.
The way those cases look now, it looks like a bunch of compromises were made to keep it somewhat compact.
I always wanted a taller FT02. It would have allowed more room for the 540 rad. Something inbetween the FT02 and TJ11.

I don't like the direction SS is going with their new designs. When the SG09 was released, the community hated the front panel, now they released the SG10.
Like as if they thought people were going to let SS release that plastic nonsense?

Which brings us to the RV04 design. Nonsense.

Mid-Tower Reverse ATX? No thanks.

The FT04/RV04 should have been full-tower designs. Three 180mm fans upfront and more case depth to clear the HDD bays.
The way those cases look now, it looks like a bunch of compromises were made to keep it somewhat compact.

+1

They are too focused on shareholders just like every other company these days.

+1

They are too focused on shareholders just like every other company these days.

Yep.

SS is a premium case maker. So when I see them making compromises, I start looking elsewhere.
LL always goes balls out, no matter what their critics say about them.

Rotate the FT02 vertical, and it would be one of the most awesome and intimidating cases on the planet.

BENn6.jpg

A few side mounted 5.25" bays (if any) and room on the back of the motherboard for HDD/SDDs (RV03 Style).
That is your Reverse XL-ATX beast right there.

If I find a $100 junk FT02, I'll do this mod for the hell of it.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure LL has been going balls out the last few years. To me it has looked like the same case has been shrunken and enlarged and a few fan mounts moved here or there.

I just bought an FT02 for a build (that I'll hopefully get all the parts for by next weekend) and I couldn't be more pleased...
To me the FT02 is a GREAT case... Would have been nice if it was a bit taller an there was room for a 240 rad under the PSU... But other than that I think it's awesome and that SS should have stuck to the 90-degree mobo rotation.

Sorry for not posting earlier guys. Came back from Vegas late Sunday night, and been catching up on work.

Looking through the thread, I can see people have already posted all the hot cases of CES 2013. InWin wins the award for craziest case of CES 2013 with their roll-cage concept, see more information here http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/10/in-win-flaunts-open-air-cases/.

I dropped by the Corsair suite but was turned away, said I needed an appointment. Super bummed about that.

Luckily I was allowed into the Antec suite, and was shown off their latest offering. They have a new "military" style budget case that reminded me of the Corsair C70, but with the price point of the Corsair 200R. They also were showing some new slick front-cover options for their more popular cases, along with some new LED coloured fans that I have never seen before.

Over all I am pretty let down by CES this year in terms of cases. No longer am I able to roam the show floor and visit Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, etc, and check out their cases.This year from what I could see only Lian Li, In Win, and Zalman were showing off cases on the show floor (Lian Li had their train case and were really proud of it, but unfortunately did not having the motion/steam version on display!).

Here's hoping there will be more to explore case wise in 2015 when I go next!

Yep.

SS is a premium case maker. So when I see them making compromises, I start looking elsewhere.
LL always goes balls out, no matter what their critics say about them.

Rotate the FT02 vertical, and it would be one of the most awesome and intimidating cases on the planet.

BENn6.jpg

A few side mounted 5.25" bays (if any) and room on the back of the motherboard for HDD/SDDs (RV03 Style).
That is your Reverse XL-ATX beast right there.

If I find a $100 junk FT02, I'll do this mod for the hell of it.
That may look cool, but it completely defeats the entire point of why Silverstone designed it the other way in the first place, and it may get increase temperatures in some spots near the top of the case (but only a couple degrees). I have no idea why Silverstone decided to go this route with the new cases, maybe cost versus little performance difference....who knows.

The whole point was to simplify the airflow and create psuedo zones of air. The air flowed from bottom to top of the case to facilitate rising heat, but also front to back on the components themselves thus very little hot air is recycled.

Last edited:
I'm liking the aesthetics of the new Thermaltake Urban. Wonder how it looks inside.

I agree - the Urban line from Thermaltake is the first thing I've liked from them in years:

3483_thermaltake%20urban%20series.jpg

One site mentioned aluminum front panels, sound-deadening liners, removable HDD cages, HDD/SSD docking stations in the top, and both liquid-cooling capability and provisions for cable-routing.

I really want to see the guts of these. The scoop is that these are just prototypes, here's hoping that the subtle and sophisticated styling stays the same - and that there is decent airflow around the edges of that front panel.

In my long and drawn-out search for my next case I am continually adding and subtracting models to my list. Whichever of these Urban cases has 8 or more expansion slots may be added, depending on the execution.

Topping my list at the moment is the soon-to-be-released Fractal Design Define XL R2:

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=111

Clean design, 140mm fan mounts everywhere, nice and roomy. Don't know the release date yet, though.

I am still considering the Corsair 550D, even though it keeps doing poorly in reviews. I love the engineering and think with the right fan configuration and a tweak here or there it might be competitive. One big issue could be minimized by removing the HDD cages that I don't need anyway.

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 might not find distribution in the USA anytime soon, but it's a maybe.

If I trip over a gold bar I'll get a 900D or a Case Labs SM8.... ;)

CES did seem to be relatively low-key(based on the articles I've seen), but the economy & the industry aren't really thriving at the moment. Some products were already shown at Computex 2012 and still aren't ready to ship.

I find it interesting that we are seeing such limited information on many of the products, such as detailed interior shots and release dates. Also, there seem to be a lot of companies that either didn't go or weren't properly covered at CES. I've seen a lot of upcoming product news that seemed to be timed to coincide with CES but then there was no mention of them by reporters that were present at the event.

Multiple websites mentioned sending fewer representatives this year as well. Blah...

I guess all we can hope for is that some of these products will be reviewed soon.

Edit: on a final note, I'd like to see more of the new Cooler Master ATCS 710, too - a return to their classic older-style cases.

Last edited:
Heh you beat me to posting about the Urban line :)

Very slick looking indeed, nice to see Tt caring about aesthetics for a change. And having different size options for the same styles is awesome, love love love seeing that. So many times have I loved the look of a full tower when all I ever really need is a mid tower :mad:

Did you happen to notice if Fractal Design was at CES?

Not a peep about the XL R2, even though it's on their site already - not available until February.

I gotta say, with a quoted retail of $129.99 - I don't think it can be beat!

Hopefully soon after it's release I can fit one in my budget.

(off to check out 140mm fans with the best CFM-to-dBA ratio...)

Did you happen to notice if Fractal Design was at CES?

Not a peep about the XL R2, even though it's on their site already - not available until February.

I gotta say, with a quoted retail of $129.99 - I don't think it can be beat!

Hopefully soon after it's release I can fit one in my budget.

(off to check out 140mm fans with the best CFM-to-dBA ratio...)
XL R2 should be out by the end of this month, I believe. Price should be below $130 on most retailers.

Unfortunately our buddies Fractal were not at CES this year. They really don't have anything to show to warrant being there. Even if they had five new/new-ish products to show, would be worth the cost of going? They get far more coverage from online reviews/sneak peaks :)

I haven't run across one of her vids in a long time - with her accent, appearance, and obvious enthusiasm for high-end PC building I wonder where I went wrong in my life not having someone like that as a wife.

I should shut up now, as I'm way to old for her and am sounding shallow!

I also watched the Fractal Design USA short clip on the new XL R2. I want it - but it cracks me up how gigantic the case looks next to each of the women in those vids - I think it's the camera angles that exaggerate it, although it will be 5" taller than my current case - so I'll have to raise my desk up an inch to fit it underneath...

:eek:

Back