Mythbuntu - IT ISNT a Myth...But IT IS Linux

Just recently, actually today, I was in my local bookstore browsing the magazine section for things to read and for things to catchup on in the technology world and stumbled upon something interesting in a "Linux Identity: STARTER" magazine - Mythbuntu. I thought to myself... "hmm...if this isn't a spoof of the 'Mythbusters', an the Operating System actually exists...then maybe I'll give it a once-over and a try when I get home" and that is exactly what I did.

What is Mythbuntu?
According to their website, found at: http://www.mythbuntu.org - it is an Open-Source add-on for Ubuntu and it can be used to prepare a standalone system or for integration with an existing MythTV network. It has alot of features and, with my personal experience, works quite well since it is scaled-down and contains no applications like that of the actual Ubuntu Operating System. I can think of it as a Windows Media Center Edition gone Open-Source, if you will.

What's "MythTV"?
As I mentioned above, Myth TV is an Open-Source DVR (Link: http://www.mythtv.org/) that works with Mythbuntu. According to their website, you can...:

• Watch and Record Analog and/or Digital TV, including HDTV
  • Pause, Skip, and Rewind the TV Shows
  • ...have the feature of: Completely automatic commercial detection/skipping, with manual correction via an intuitive cutlist editor
  • Intelligently schedules recordings to avoid conflicts
  • Parental controls to keep your kids out of the good shows (or the "naughty ones":p)
  • Watch and archive DVDs
  • Listen to your digital music collection
  • Schedule and administer many functions remotely via a web browser
  • Flexible client/server architecture allows multiple frontend client machines to access content served by one or more backend servers (although the most common installation consists of a single computer running both the client and server together)
  • And More...

It runs only on the Linux Operating System, MAC OSX, and BSD Operating System.

Some Screenshots of Mythbuntu...
These images courtesy the Mythbuntu Website:

7.10_mythtv-setup.preview.png

7.10_final_usplash.preview.png

I think this is really cool, overall. I'm not sure if anyone has posted anything about this OS yet, but if you've used this OS, too, I'd like to know

You can also download mythtv and install mythtv separately. It is, indeed, pretty spiffy.

I highly recommend the DVD add on; it turns the server in to a DVD juke box.

Cool - A server turned jukebox? Something I'd like to use :cool:
It's something everyone could use. Copy your DVD to the server as an image, a menu to navigate the images and play at the push of a button.

Nevermind that no one in their right minds would rip a dvd and leave all the extra preview junk in there... :D

It's something everyone could use. Copy your DVD to the server as an image, a menu to navigate the images and play at the push of a button.

Nevermind that no one in their right minds would rip a dvd and leave all the extra preview junk in there... :D

Haha - previews are my pet peeve :D

I'll have to pass the word along about this software, its great.

If I had a Socket 939 CPU, I'd build a home theater box with MythTV and put my old Radeon x600 All-In-Wonder to good use.

....But then I already have a DVR, so I'm not in that big of a hurry to go look for a dirt cheap 939 CPU right now.

Ah, thanks for supporting the *buntu's guys :D

I'm pretty addicted to the FOSS stuff myself ;)

it does seem great, i have used other similar software to try to set up a home media pc with varying degrees of success....

in the end i got the WDTV media player, started playing around with custom firmware, and snagged up an external hard drive, now my pc is free to do other things, couldnt be happier

just FYI, tossing out alternatives, but as a side note, i absolutely love Ubuntu as an OS, the only reason i am running Win 7 is because Ubuntu has a nasty USB transfer issue that really is inexcusable and hasnt been addressed for several revisions now...instead of finding and fixing it they continue to ask people who report the issue to get way too far into complex commands and stuff to troubleshoot it for them....i can spend countless hours learning linux commands and posting up info that may or may not help or i can spend 20 minutes installing Windows 7 which has no issues i have found.....guess which one i picked

I've been using MythTV as my PVR system for something like 5 years.

I have the master-backend running on my general purpose server (now an Athlon XP2600+) with hardware compression tuner cards based on ubuntu LTS. My most-used frontend is on an old P3-700 business PC (standard def) running mythbuntu.

Back