Mythos being revived!

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
Saw this on the Shacknews headlines on the side of the front page, and I thought I'd share for those who played/followed the game when it was still housed under Flagship.

Ex-Flagship Action RPG 'Mythos' Coming to US

Mythos, the PC action RPG created by the now-defunct Flagship Studios, will be receiving a free-to-play release in the US, current developer Redbana announced today. ...

Full Article: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61426

Game Website: http://mythos.com/Game/

Glad to see that the game isn't completely dead, though I am a little worried about the "inprovements" that Hanbitsoft says they're making to the game. I guess we'll just have to see. Signed up for the Beta on their website, hope I get in. Got to play in the Flagship closed beta as well. It rocked back then.

I read about this yesterday and was terribly confused. Flagship was doing Mythos, they went under, and the entire development team for Mythos went on to found Runic which made Torchlight. Now all of a sudden Mythos got picked up by some Korean company and now there is a Mythos Korean MMO. WTF?

From what I understand, it was not picked up recently but they bought it when Flagship went under(I bought HGL :() I'm not sure when they started work on Torchlight but looks to me Korean company picked it up first.(well, things get complicated cause people at Runic created Mythos so technically they started first)

I read about this yesterday and was terribly confused. Flagship was doing Mythos, they went under, and the entire development team for Mythos went on to found Runic which made Torchlight. Now all of a sudden Mythos got picked up by some Korean company and now there is a Mythos Korean MMO. WTF?

Right. When Flagship was dying, they sold the IP rights to their games to try to generate some money to stay afloat. After they folded, Hanbitsoft (the purchaser) collected on the IP and game assets to date, saying that they valued the game and that they would continue production. Until now, we had not heard anything from them since this initial transaction. Meanwhile, the original Mythos team (now Runic Games) had basically just had their project yanked from them, mid development. Since they didn't own the IP they couldn't continue making that game or any game set in that same universe. They basically started over using the same gameplay style that they had been working on with Mythos, but with an all new engine and all new assets, etc. They made it a small, short turn project to get a title under their belts before starting on something bigger. This is Torchlight and Torchlight MMO. So, yeah, Runic kinda is competing with themselves now, but we'll just have to see how Mythos turns out and how Torchlight MMO looks as it gets further into the dev cycle.

I doubt a korean based company will be able to pull off what the runic team could have.

They'll pull off micro transactions like no other though. Hell, I bet they'll have a "cash shop" as part of their page before the game even gets released again. Just like every other crappy F2P korean game.

I will definitely be curious how this plays out though some of the footage which was new to me looked pretty bad compared to the stuff I had seen when I was in the Mythos Beta.

Back