N64 Recompiler made the headlines today, so share it before Nintendo gets it shut down.

Pretty sure there was an emulator a million years ago that was infamously extremely fast, because it basically statically recompiled the game. It was faaar less generic than this and only wound up working for a couple games (Mario 64 and Zelda?), but it was ludicrously faster. Can't remember the name of it.

I wonder how this deals with games that use self-modifying code?

as if nintendo isnt going to lose their shit over this.
Not sure if they can do anything for compiler-interpreter, etc... that seem all legal and respect copyrights laws(I could be very wrong, but usually programming language and compiler are really hard to protect).

The equivalent for NES has been online for 11 years now:
https://github.com/andrewrk/jamulator

And a bit like the NES 11 years ago, wouldn't today computer have little issue running an N64 emulator anyway ? That type of would have been really nice in 2000 on a pentium 200, but today ? I guess for very old PI type of hardware it can still be useful... or for the $50 box device that come with hundreds of games on amazon, that could upgrade them to be N64 able now.

Last edited:
Not sure if they can do anything for compiler-interpreter, etc... that seem all legal and respect copyrights laws(I could be very wrong, but usually programming language and compiler are really hard to protect).

And a bit like the NES 11 years ago, wouldn't today computer have little issue running an N64 emulator anyway ? That type of would have been really nice in 2000 on a pentium 200, but today ? I guess for very old PI type of hardware it can still be useful...
doesnt mean they wont try.
ok.
sure, but its not just doing a 1:1.

And a bit like the NES 11 years ago, wouldn't today computer have little issue running an N64 emulator anyway ? That type of would have been really nice in 2000 on a pentium 200, but today ? I guess for very old PI type of hardware it can still be useful... or for the $50 box device that come with hundreds of games on amazon, that could upgrade them to be N64 able now.

Decompiling is great for things like community mods, patches and compatibility. You can change some things to get old N64 games running in 200+FPS without changing the in-game speed, or add DXR effects, high res textures and add shaders, etc.

Decompiling is great for things like community mods, patches and compatibility. You can change some things to get old N64 games running in 200+FPS without changing the in-game speed, or add DXR effects, high res textures and add shaders, etc.

When it's actually reverse engineered.

There is hardly anything fit for human consumption until someone spends the time to actually figure out what's what. You might get something that builds, but code itself will be incomprehensible nonsense - literally nothing will be named and there will be hundreds upon hundreds of functions to figure out.

Also the graphics and sound is basically still emulated.

Last edited:
I find it odd Nintendo doesn't put old games on PC.. its free money LOL..
Nintendo NES classic was maybe a better way for the brand and money (same as having emulator-store on their console like the Wii).

Nothing new and Nintendo has cracked down on the ports themselves. I remember a Github that would port Mario 64 for use on Linux, and that was taken down.
Yes that where Nintendo could have a much easier time to track down, those being obvious copyrights infringements.

Yes that where Nintendo could have a much easier time to track down, those being obvious copyrights infringements.
Not really. The way it worked is that it still needed an actual N64 rom of Mario 64. It would then decompile and extract assets in order to create a native port of on PC. It did give the option to use HD textures instead. Now it's moved onto other N64 games like Majora's Mask.

View: https://youtu.be/GIp7C2ro2T8?si=H0l9sAHOYpvVapbh

Not really.
What crack down occured if it was not over the copyright angle ? Seem anything you do with a nintendo IP would need to have some good fair use that hard to see here. The fact that it need the actual Nintendo copyrighted code like you say... Was it some IP infringement or commercial brand instead that not considered copyright ?

Last edited:
Back