Narrowed it down to three.....please give me the pros and cons of each

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
Well first off, let me give you the specs of my computer to make sure they are capable of supplying enough power and most importantly, work with my set-up.

MSI Diamond Plus mobo
Operton 165
eVGA 7800GT
512x2 Corsair Value Select Ram
NEC 3550A
Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA
WD Raptor 74GB (the new one with 16mb of cache)
Antec P18 case with Sychte Ninja heatsink

I think that's it....

Anyway, so on to the PSU. I'm looking at these three.

1. Xclio 450BL
2. Sytrin Nextherm
3. Seasonic S-12

First off, I'm aware that when comparing just those by themselves, the Seasonic wins, however, I want to know if it is worth it when compared to the other two.

Now I know the Xclion and Nextherm perform very strong but is there a clearcut winner in how supplies the most stable juice? What about efficiency as well? Comparing the first two, who wins in that department? In sound level?

Now the reason I'm looking at the Seasonic is because I've read that it's practically the best out there. Very quiet and very efficient but what I don't know is if that's ALL the Seasonic PSU's, or just the big daddy 600W one. I found a link to some prices of the Seasonics here: http://www.xoxide.com/seasonic.html?gclid=CL7x68_7yYUCFSV2NAodEyX_3g

So guys, what one should I look at it? What one is worth the money?

Sorry to make a drawn out PSU thread but I figured the more details I provide, the better you guys can assist me.

Thank you guys for any help, it's greatly appreciated. :)

If money is not a factor and you want efficency, get the seasonic 600w.

Well which one do you want to have the longest???

I'm currently in the middle of upgrading my main rig with a MSI Diamond Plus mobo and a 2nd 7800GTX but low and behold my 550W Antec Smart Power 2.0 thats been very good to me is missing the EPS12V 8-pin 12V connector to power the CPU. There more than just watts that a psu provides and Seasonic's rep is well earned.

Though the NeoHe 550 does have this connector, its currently powering my 3TB file server / 2nd Gaming rig and I dont want to take that monster apart after putting in this new mobo.

troisanh said:
If money is not a factor and you want efficency, get the seasonic 600w.
Well if someone convinces me it's well worth the extra money compared to the other two, I'd seriously consider getting it.

kuy, not quite sure what you mean by longest. If you mean use it for a very long time, the PSU I choose will be the PSU I will be using for quite some time. So reliability is a huge factor as well.

Any other opinions from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

By longest, he is talking about capacity (for future upgrades). E.g. if you plan on doing SLI in the future.

Of course, the ironic thing bout that is that usually future generation processes are more efficient (just look at 7900 series vs. 6800 series), so you may be able to get away with only 430-480W...for single-card configs anyway.

*and about the MSI board, my friend was so pissed about that 8pin PSU requirement as well. Of course, I had been telling him for weeks to get a DFI board, but he goes ahead and buys a mobo I didn't recommend. =)

Ah, upgrades. Well since this is going to my first time build, I'd imagine it will serve me well for quite some time. Hell, the one I'm using now is a Pentium III with 127mb of RAM and Windows ME. So I think the current one should be good for I don't know, 70 years, lol.

Well regarding SLI, I don't think I will be running that for quite a while. But then again, you never know. Maybe in the way future but no at the present time.

But if I WERE to go SLI, you think the Xclio or and Sytrin would be able to the task?

Keep the opinions coming guys, they're really helping me out.

Thanks!

Chowder Head said:
But if I WERE to go SLI, you think the Xclio or and Sytrin would be able to the task?
With new technology upcoming, its very doubtful these PS would be enough. But i could be wrong...single pci-e connector, no 8pin connector on Xclio. In otherwords not future proof.

The 430-600W versions of the S12 should all be at roughly the same noise level and efficiency.

Option 2 or 3.

Personally I would go with the seasonic....but for the price the nextherm is really hard to say no to.

If the Seasonic is out of your price range...then I would go with Sytrin...at least their website is better than the other.

BTW whats the warrenty on the Sytrin, I know the S12 is 3 years but I'm wasn't able to find info of it on Sytrin's website.

One more question before I head off to work.

Now comparing the Seasonic S-12 600W and the Sytrin, while leaving out which is more efficeient because I know the Seasonic is, who wins? In the power output and noise department?

What is the Sytrin's efficiency anyway?

Thanks!

Chowder Head said:
One more question before I head off to work.

Now comparing the Seasonic S-12 600W and the Sytrin, while leaving out which is more efficeient because I know the Seasonic is, who wins? In the power output and noise department?

Noise the seasonic....power output...what do you mean?

What is the Sytrin's efficiency anyway?

Thanks!

70-76% http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/NexthermPSU460/

The S12 series is an example of how units are supposed to be in the PSU business, stable..like a rock nothing to worry about, super efficient, great build quality (ie. they use quality caps inside so it dosent poop out in 2 years), and is silent.

Theres really no contest if you consider effieciency and noise for factors. Now if your on a strict budget, then the sytrin wins but if you have a few bucks to spare and want a great overall unit, get the S12! I have one and have had had 0 problems. Just put it in, hooked up the nice long sleeved cables and let it do its thing.

Now, when I open my case to check for a problem (had a video card fail not letting PC post) I look right below the unit at the motherboard and other components as the PSU is perfect, Dont even second guess whether its the psu or not because I know its somthing else.

The 430w or 500w would run your PC great, of coarse depending on the upgrades you plan. I say, jump on the wattage you can afford now and upgrade away later when your computer gets slow ;)

Alright so right now I'm leaning towards the Seasonic S-12 line. Go for the best, right?

Now my question to you all is which one should I go with? I believe the 500W should be plently for me but then again, for about $20 I could get the big daddy 600W and be done with power supplies for a long, long time. Are there any differenes between the two except for the obvious wattage?

Which would you choose?

Also, what's the best place to order one? I was checking out xoxide.com and for the 600W one, it came to $147.38 total, which includes shipping. Is there a cheaper place?

Thanks again for the help guys, I really truly appreciate it.

Chowder Head said:
for about $20 I could get the big daddy 600W and be done with power supplies for a long, long time.

The more the merrier...especially at the price of decent pizza.

Chowder Head said:
Are there any differenes between the two except for the obvious wattage?

Look at their comparison chart here...
http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/S12_05.gif

Chowder Head said:
Which would you choose?

S12-600 cause you dont know just what you may try out down the line you know.

Chowder Head said:
was checking out xoxide.com and for the 600W one, it came to $147.38 total, which includes shipping. Is there a cheaper place?

Thats pretty darn close to what I just briefly searched on Froogle.

get a psu with a horizontal fan configuration, otherwise it would not cool well in the p180. I myself have a OCZ powerstream 520w... its one of the best PSU's performance wise but its a bit too loud for my tastes

i can attest for the S12-500, which is in my machine.

hands down its the best PSU on the market (aside from the 600, of course). but what everybody says about it is right: rock solid stable, high quality, and absolutely silent.

when i first got it i tested it w/ the paperclip trick and thought something was wrong until i looked into it and actually saw the fan running. i couldnt believe my ears... :eek:

i think i got it for a little less than 100$, which was an absolute steal. highly reputable and recommended PSU.

The S12-600 only has 3 more amps on the combined +12V output... but if that's worth the $20 (or whatever it is) premium, then by all means -

Well I said screw it, and got myself the Seasonic S-12 600W.
This will last me a very, very long time.

I'm hoping I can understand what you all have been preaching about soon enough.

Thanks again [H] for the assistance!

with the higher efficiency you'll save a lil bit on your energy bills ;P

Back