NASA Beams Image to Moon Orbiter Using Laser

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this is certainly very cool stuff, I personally would have used a different photo to transmit to the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.

"This is the first time anyone has achieved one-way laser communication at planetary distances," says LOLA's principal investigator, David Smith of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "In the near future, this type of simple laser communication might serve as a backup for the radio communication that satellites use.

Pretty cool, but I must ask. "SteveHOCP"? Did you narrate that yourself, or do you just have friends in high-orbit places?

As the lawyer for the estate of Leonardi da Vinci and various other interests, I hereby order you to cease and desist using this copyrighted image for your own purposes. We have just bribed, sorry, make that convinced, various governments including the USA to extend copyright back 650 years.

We are working to further extend copyrights back more than 2000 years so we can make claim to the original words and all translations of Gauis Julius Caesar, Marcus Tullius Cicero, and of course Jesus of Nazareth.

Sincerely,

Your friendly worldwide copyright lawyers.

Lol slick emboldening on the letters there, Steve. I thought my monitor was acting up :D

How is this better than standard radio communication? It seems awful, by comparison.

Back