NB fan issues

Righty

Limp Gawd
I have an older biostar N-force 939 board. The NB fan went out about 2-3 years ago so last week i thougt it would be a good idea to order a new fan:D I got the fan in, the heatsink doesn't sit flush with the NB chip and also the 2 prong plugs that this fan can plug into to do not work, if i use the CPU plug it will spin up.

This obviously isnt a uber important fan or else my board would have went out years ago, but has anyone lost a board due to a bad NB fan? Maybe i can splice into some other power wires on the PSU. Or would that be to much voltage to the fan?

NF4 gets silly hot for such a small chip, up to 30 watts I believe it can draw. Mine I resorted to a custom heatsink, I shaved down and shaped an old AMD boxed cooler and put a 40mm fan on it. (blocks one PCI slot if you use a long card)

I don't see how your motherboard survived this long without a NB fan. You could always get one of these and modify it. Or one of these. Either way the cost of the NB coolers are more than the motherboard is worth anymore, which is why I made my own.

edit - here is another cooler that might be made to fit.

Yeah like you said the board isnt worth spending to much on, i think im gonna wire this fan up to some hot wires lay the tower flat and let it run as is. I need to last a few months till i can piece my new box together.

Back