NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Perhaps a higher level funding reward for the KS campaign?

It's not a bad idea, unfortunately we had to make a small change to the fan cage (they couldn't do the bend the way we had it) that reduces the available space between it and the side panel, which precludes Demciflex filters from fitting.

We have kind of a problem with how to attach magnetic filters to a non-magnetic case. The Demciflex filters were a decent option, because they include an adhesive magnetic backing. With other magnetic filters we'd have an extra thing to worry about.

One thing you might be able to do is get a couple of these, which should just barely fit, and just set them on the fan cage. With the side panel on, they should stay in place. That only covers the side fans, though.

Last edited:
Been lurking this thread since the beginning and it's looking great!

Can't wait for the KS to begin :)

After following this project not-at-all, today I noticed it's the real thing. Let me just say that I'm impressed, immensely impressed. I've worked with so many cases, even built a few ones in the past and have frustrated myself how short-sighted the industry for mITX and mATX cases is, this is probably the best case possible.

The flexibility is unparallelled, the potential cooling is amazing. I'm in, all the way.

One Q on the back of the case, if you guys don't mind. Maybe it's because I haven't watercooled a case in a while (or because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning), but why 3 grommets for tubing access? Doesn't each external element need both an exit and a return line, so shouldn't they come in pairs (either 2 or 4)? Or was the idea to just allow additional customization for a single return and a single exit (i.e. allow for one pair at the GPU or one pair at the CPU)?

Thanks, and if I haven't said it enough, this case is absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see the proto produced and will definitely be supporting any way I can. :)

reduces the available space between it and the side panel, which precludes Demciflex filters from fitting.

a problem with how to attach magnetic filters to a non-magnetic case

there are always options if you want the magnetic filters, a few possibilities:

• magnetic foil applied to the surface (I can't find any less than 0.4mm thick with a cursory google)
  • magnetic tape
  • steel shims (can more easily find 0.01mm, 0.05mm thickness, would need testing for holding power)
  • magnetic paint (I've no idea how effective or robust this would be)
  • increase your height/width ≈2mm
  • make the fan cage and/or bottom panel, and/or entire frame from steel
  • if doing above, maybe decrease the thickness of steel fan cage vs the alu

Last edited:
One Q on the back of the case, if you guys don't mind. Maybe it's because I haven't watercooled a case in a while (or because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning), but why 3 grommets for tubing access? Doesn't each external element need both an exit and a return line, so shouldn't they come in pairs (either 2 or 4)? Or was the idea to just allow additional customization for a single return and a single exit (i.e. allow for one pair at the GPU or one pair at the CPU)?

You're right, you would normally use them in pairs, but the idea is to offer a bit more flexibility with routing the tubing, and there was only enough room for the three holes. It's a very small case and things are pretty tight, so the extra hole is just there as another option to make routing the tubing easier.

there are always options if you want the magnetic filters, a few possibilities:

• magnetic foil applied to the surface (I can't find any less than 0.4mm thick with a cursory google)
  • magnetic tape
  • steel shims (can more easily find 0.01mm, 0.05mm thickness, would need testing for holding power)
  • magnetic paint (I've no idea how effective or robust this would be)
  • increase your height/width ≈2mm
  • make the fan cage and/or bottom panel, and/or entire frame from steel
  • if doing above, maybe decrease the thickness of steel fan cage vs the alu

Yeah, I've had some of these ideas myself, and some are more viable than others. Still useful though, thanks.

Part of the problem with some of these is they aren't part of their standard parts/process. When W360 brought up magnetic filters with LL they told him it's not something they do because of potential damage to hardware from the magnets. I'm not sure what validity that has - I've always been under the impression that, short of very powerful magnets, it's a non-existent problem - but the fact is it's not part of their standard process or inventory. Part of the reason we're able to keep the cost relatively manageable is that we're using things they're already setup for. Trying to get special stuff done for such a small production run is just asking to push the price up.

Great job!!!

Maybe I missed it, but I was wondering is it possible to use the space between GPU and side panel, that seems to be quite some space, maybe some HDD drive cage there?

My god, I haven't followed this at all - just popped in to see what all the fuss was about. This is incredible design with sensible placement of components, and I love the different install options without compromising by a larger unnecessary volume.

Good luck with this.

Maybe I missed it, but I was wondering is it possible to use the space between GPU and side panel, that seems to be quite some space, maybe some HDD drive cage there?

There's just about 30mm between the GPU and side panel, and ~92mm from the case bottom to where a 120mm fan mounts to the fan cage, so yeah, it's enough for a 2.5" drive or two (but not a 3.5" drive). Considering all the other 2.5" drive mounts in the case though, it's probably not worthwhile to stick yet another drive cage in there.

it's not something they do because of potential damage to hardware from the magnets
I must admit I did not see that coming! I don't see how this would ever be a problem?! cases have always had magnetic door latches, HDDs have powerful magnets in them (admittedly behind mu metal) and I believe that magentic fields are not an issue, it's electromagnetic fields that cause the problems.

anyway, some other ideas to put in the mix...

• It looks like there is some space at the ends of the fan cage, left and right of the two fans? so we need some small holes and insert steel pins flush with the fan cage surface, and that will provide the ferrous material upon which to stick the magnetic filter. It may require a cutom sized filter though. A variation for potentially better hold would be to have small slots rather than round holes. In either case potentially the assembly could be left to the user if Lian Li can't do it, but they can cut the holes at least.

• Holes (or slots) could be used to push clip on plastic fasteners through, but that would almost certainly need a custom filter with the fasteners attached.

• A possibly very cheap solution would be to glue a (black?) nylon gauze filter straight onto the inside of the side panel using non water-soluble glue. It won't look great from the inside, but it would easy to clean by rinsing the whole panel under a tap or by gently vacuuming.

I rarely ever log in to post but this case is absolutely gorgeous. The internal layout is genius and extremely efficient while being versatile at the same time. I truly wish that this case comes to fruition because I would buy one (or maybe two!) in a heartbeat.

I honestly hope that out of all those possible case manufacturer candidates, Lian Li is the one to make this happen. Their mini ITX cases' internal layout designs don't hold a candle to this, but their build quality is always top notch. Great job guys, I hope everything works out! :)

There's just about 30mm between the GPU and side panel, and ~92mm from the case bottom to where a 120mm fan mounts to the fan cage, so yeah, it's enough for a 2.5" drive or two (but not a 3.5" drive). Considering all the other 2.5" drive mounts in the case though, it's probably not worthwhile to stick yet another drive cage in there.

agreed, mostly likely only 2.5 SSDs can fit there, I might try something once I have the chance to get the case :)

Today I found this thread, because it was posted in a german forum and i am really excited to see your work. I am waiting for release to purchase it in germany. This is something i looked for a long time but never find something like the M1 ... can not wait to see more information!!

Today I found this thread, because it was posted in a german forum and i am really excited to see your work. I am waiting for release to purchase it in germany. This is something i looked for a long time but never find something like the M1 ... can not wait to see more information!!

I'm not sure it will be that easy. Your best bet is to stay tuned in this topic and pre-order one as soon as the option is there, as there might not be a 2nd run... and, also, and this is very important, the more units they make, the cheaper all of them will be. Its important to spread information because we will all benefit: starting from the producers (who will sell more cases and make more $$$$) and us, because the more units you produce, the cheaper they get.

Keep it up boys! I have to change my ATX mobo because it's almost dead... I just hope it holds alive long enough for this case to be released and get a mITX one ;) As a mITX one in my current mobo would look... weird, being as it is a Banchetto 101 hahaha.

I apologize in advance for the poor English.

Hi, Today I found this and I really like your enthusiasm to create such a great case. With all my heart keep my fingers crossed for you and he'll probably willing to buy such a product, but I question whether your idea will start to KS? Will it be in the future, any attempt to improve Silverstone FT03 Mini because more than anything I like more this type of housing. And will I be able to purchase your products on the Polish territory?

I apologize in advance for the poor English.

Hi, Today I found this and I really like your enthusiasm to create such a great case. With all my heart keep my fingers crossed for you and he'll probably willing to buy such a product, but I question whether your idea will start to KS? Will it be in the future, any attempt to improve Silverstone FT03 Mini because more than anything I like more this type of housing. And will I be able to purchase your products on the Polish territory?

For what I've read, they plan to distribute the product themselves... which means that you will have to buy directly from them (USA).

Yup, for the Euro folks (such as myself) this means that customs will take their cut, but I don't think there is any other way around it ;)

Unless Necere and Wahaha360 can work with someone in Europe to just get one shipment to Europe, so most Europeans don't have to pay unneeded extra tax and "administration fees".
I'd welcome it since I'd hate to pay 50% more because of baseline customs and fees for burocratic inefficient retards.

they should send it over the UK to Germany ... I ordered the Hiddenradios in the USA and they shipped it over UK, what means for german people, that you don't have to pay taxes and stuff like that because it comes from the UK and not from the USA. So i only paid 15$ for shipment... Nice one :D

Will it be in the future, any attempt to improve Silverstone FT03 Mini because more than anything I like more this type of housing

This project began because we wanted a product that's accessible to people. A computer case >$200 is inaccessible - not everyone can afford a $200 computer case.

We can only pursue products with at least 300 buyers. Why? This is a hobby for us, we do this for fun, we have day jobs and not enough time.

The original vertical design (with 90-degree motherboard rotation) requires tooling for production, which is very costly. The closest manufacture to the vertical design is Abee, but Abee is very very expensive.

We don't have plans to make the vertical design right now. We don't even have plans to make anything after M1.

Abee A60
01.jpg

NCASE "vertical design"

Last edited:
A partner in the UK might be able to distribute, but I haven't done the cost benefit research yet - I will deal with these details post IGG campaign and prototype testing. I will get back to you guys.

A partner in the UK might be able to distribute, but I haven't done the cost benefit research yet - I will deal with these details post IGG campaign and prototype testing. I will get back to you guys.

that would be GLORIOUS guys. So awesome for those who live across the pond :D Is there any place we can start pre-ordering? If this will be a "1-time run" I'd hate myself for losing the chance to get it ;)

PS: sure, the prototype is not even done yet... but you should add some sort of pre-order so that people could pay something in advance to show their interest.

I followed the steps of the MKII from murderbox and thats the same. I think after the prototype was done, they started pre-ordering. Their target was 499 units otherwise silverstone wouldn't produce ist because of the costs ... Thats why your price region is good in my opinion ... i had a murdermod case and payed for it in used conditions 600€ ... thats why i hope you can pass your steps you have to go and take the time you need ;) ...

PS: I am not for an 90° rotated board. I like this one because of the layout and i hate it in 90° :D

they should send it over the UK to Germany ... I ordered the Hiddenradios in the USA and they shipped it over UK, what means for german people, that you don't have to pay taxes and stuff like that because it comes from the UK and not from the USA. So i only paid 15$ for shipment... Nice one :D

There was still import duty paid. You think you only paid 15$ shipping, but part of the $150 price tag for the radio is including their costs for initial shipping to UK.

Ok, that could be. If it is as you said, thanks US people who are paying for my cheap shipping costs ;)

edit: what i am asking me at the moment is ... where should i put my pump in this case when i want to use your shown setup? ... the space under the graphic card could be round about 50mm ... and between the sfx psu and the radiator shouldn't be enough space? anyone an idea?

Last edited:
edit: what i am asking me at the moment is ... where should i put my pump in this case when i want to use your shown setup? ... the space under the graphic card could be round about 50mm ... and between the sfx psu and the radiator shouldn't be enough space? anyone an idea?

In the setup shown there's an Apogee Drive 2.

If you're watercooling the graphics card, there should be just enough space at the bottom (depends on the GPU block, but's it's around 42-47mm) of the case for a DDC or maybe one of the smaller Jingway pumps. If you're watercooling a short card (e.g., GTX670), you should be able to easily fit a pump at the bottom front, probably even one with an integrated res top. I actually checked this the other day, and this Koolance top with their smallest (30mm) res should fit below the PSU.

Thats a nice solution with the switch apogee ... never seen that before. Shame on me ... you are right ... i plan to run a 670 and as you mentioned, this card is short and there should be enough space for pump and res. Thanks for your quick answer! ...

edit: It seams to be everything you rendered is buyable so could you tell me what res it is outside the case?

Last edited:
Man.... the case in the first post is so sexy.... I almost wish I was in the market for a mITX build right now JUST so I could participate in this whole thing.

edit: It seams to be everything you rendered is buyable so could you tell me what res it is outside the case?

Well, not quite everything :(

That's the Tecnofront Nano, and as was mentioned a page or two back, it's been discontinued. There may still be a few shops that have them in stock, though.

The perfect WC kit for this case is this one:

swiftech_h220_aio_550.jpg

Swiftech H220. Its an AIO although its fully expandable and has the pump integrated into the block. Although... now that I think about it... maybe there isn't enough clearance because the rad has a reservoir attached to it. Mmmmmm....

Swiftech H220. Its an AIO although its fully expandable and has the pump integrated into the block. Although... now that I think about it... maybe there isn't enough clearance because the rad has a reservoir attached to it. Mmmmmm....

I've checked this actually and the radiator and block should both fit. The tubing might be tricky, but at least that's relatively straightforward to modify, if necessary.

I've checked this actually and the radiator and block should both fit. The tubing might be tricky, but at least that's relatively straightforward to modify, if necessary.

This keep getting better and better. Keep it up! :D

With the H220 this becomes the perfect little quiet gaming box, since it doesn't need the external reservoir and can be expanded to a GPU water block.
I'd suggest making very sure it will fit before finalizing the design.

With the H220 this becomes the perfect little quiet gaming box, since it doesn't need the external reservoir and can be expanded to a GPU water block.
I'd suggest making very sure it will fit before finalizing the design.

Uh, yeah, he did.

Back