NEC 20WMGX2: Scaling and 1:1 on ATI

Android1

Weaksauce
I am considering buying an NEC 20WMGX2 20.1" monitor. Most of the reviews look pretty good, but one thing that worries me is the fact that this monitor (or at least the North American version) lacks an internal scaler, and ATI videocards can't do scaling in the driver. Is there any other way to scale the image so that I can run non-native resolutions like 1280x1024 and 1024x768 without streching?

Also, is there a way to force 1:1 somehow?

what would you be scaling? VGA input? DVI?

for those im not sure.

I know for my component input (xbox 360) it has 1:1 scaling, but im not sure if it can be done with the other inputs. kinda wierd.

Hmmm, I just tried to, but I can't figure out how. It doesn't look like you can. I tried changing the settings in ATI catalyst to use central timings (sounded like that was 1:1), and changed the desktop to 1280x1024, and it didn't do 1:1. I didn't see anything in the monitor settings either that would allow 1:1 (it does let you use it for s-video, composite and component though, don't know about VGA).

It does feature 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA,Component and i believe S-Video . But over DVI 1:1 pixel mapping isnt enabled

It does feature 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA,Component and i believe S-Video . But over DVI 1:1 pixel mapping isnt enabled

Are you sure about this? :(

Until I read that I was 100% sure I'll be buying a 20WMGX2 to use as a new monitor + temporary PS3 display through an hdmi-dvi cable. sigh.

IIRC it'll do 1:1 over DVI if you flip it into DVI-HD mode. But it tries to interlace the signal or something, and it ends up looking horrible.

I mighta kept it if it wasn't for the scaling. :(

IIRC it'll do 1:1 over DVI if you flip it into DVI-HD mode. But it tries to interlace the signal or something, and it ends up looking horrible.

I mighta kept it if it wasn't for the scaling. :(

Sorry to bump this thread, but I recently got a 20WMGX2 and just now tested the difference betwee PC anD DVI-HD mode and... I can't see the difference. :eek:

Yeah it's not an exact duplicate of PC mode... but seriously where's this horrible scaling? I didn't spend a lot of time testing so I don't know.. can somebody point me to what it does in that mode that ruins the picture? I think maybe I heard something about limiting the frame rate to 30 max... it could be another display though and I got things missed up. :p

Back