NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

hi everyone, thanks for all the great info on this thread. i'm currently trying to decide whether to purchase this nec or go with the dell 2209wa. the extra size and resolution of the nec would be nice, but what i'm really concerned with is the monitor's performance for photoediting. unlike someone who chimed in earlier, i'm not a gamer at all...i'm an amateur and hopefully future 'pro' photographer with very little money at this time. how do the color gamuts of these two options compare? will one calibrate better or be more consistent than the other? thanks.

Has anyone compared this monitor to a Dell 3007WFP-HC?

I've considered selling my 30" to finance 3 of the EA231WMi's for an Eyefiniti setup but I don't want to chance there being a large difference in image quality.

buy.com has NEC EA231WMI for $304 + $10 shipping. is it a good deal?

thinking about pulling the trigger

I have ordered from B&H two weeks ago and the order is still not shipped. Have anybody received the NEC from B&H?

Sure hope I don't have any problems because I just got a email saying its too late to cancel....:mad:

Ok I emailed NEC yesterday this:
Hello I got a few questions,
Does NEC monitors have to be purchased from an authorized NEC reseller for warranty eligibility?

Could you please provide me a list of authorized US NEC resellers?

Is buy.com an authorized NEC reseller?

I got this reply today from NEC:
Thank you for contacting NEC Display
Any legitimate store(web or brick) selling monitors is authorized, no second hand sales Yes Buy.com is authorized We do not have a complete list of all authorized resellers below is what we do have> Local Dealers http://www.necdisplay.com/LocateDealer/
Retail locations
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/Retail/

M. Daly
NEC Display Service & Support
Telephone: 1-800-632-4662
Email: [email protected]

According to this email you can buy NEC anywhere and still have a 3 year warranty. :D

Thanks for checking for us BF-2. Good to know being mine are shipped already :)

Well, thanks BF-2. I guess the customer service at NEC just fooled me last time. I will keep a copy of the message you posted in case I need warranty service in the future.

BTW, I pulled the trigger for the $305-20%BCB=$244 from buy.com ebay store.

Gah, I can't get it to work. I've been searching for an hour, can't get more than 8% cashback from ebay. What am I doing wrong?

hi everyone, thanks for all the great info on this thread. i'm currently trying to decide whether to purchase this nec or go with the dell 2209wa. the extra size and resolution of the nec would be nice, but what i'm really concerned with is the monitor's performance for photoediting. unlike someone who chimed in earlier, i'm not a gamer at all...i'm an amateur and hopefully future 'pro' photographer with very little money at this time. how do the color gamuts of these two options compare? will one calibrate better or be more consistent than the other? thanks.

They both share approximately the same gamut and absence of color accuracy provisions, so we should consider calibrated accuracy and uniformity. Based on the PRAD reviews the 2209WA wins in both criteria.

Several questions here.
1. How does this monitor perform in fps/games?
2. How big of a jump in image quality will I see coming from a dell 2001fp s-ips monitor?
3. Would it be possible to combine bing cashback, pay later coupon, and the new customer coupon on the buy.com website?

I just got 2 of these today, they seem reallly good, i especially love the cable management in stand. Still playing with the settings though so i'm holding off on a judgement just yet.

I was wondering if anyone could upload the colour profiles posted earlier in this thread, the links seem to have expired.

Several questions here.
1. How does this monitor perform in fps/games?
2. How big of a jump in image quality will I see coming from a dell 2001fp s-ips monitor?
3. Would it be possible to combine bing cashback, pay later coupon, and the new customer coupon on the buy.com website?

Bing cashback is invalidated if you use a coupon or coupon code at time of checkout. If you're referring to the paypal Bill Me Later offers then I think you might be able to combine that with a Best Buy coupon.

Bing cashback is invalidated if you use a coupon or coupon code at time of checkout.

It's supposed to work that way, but doesn't always. I've seen coupon codes used plenty of times with Bing cashback orders and the cashback has gone through.

Ordered from Buy.com on Sunday. Usually get shipments fast from them, but 2 business days later, still says "Processing: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days" Anyone who ordered around the same time as me: did you guys get yours to ship yet?

BTW, I find it funny, shortly after selling out on Buy.com, 2 days later, it's back in-stock, but they jacked up the price to $366.99. Hope the price "fixing" isn't playing a part in the "processing" delay....

As far as gaming goes on this monitor it seems excellent. No noticeable ghosting/input lag and picture seem a lot smoother+less lag than the LP2475W I was using, a lot of games are made for 16:9, for example mirrors edge which just letterboxes on 16:10 screens so it was nice to play that as its meant to look :)

Yeastwood: i have 2 shipped and one 'Processing' from my weekend orders. (3 orders for free shipping :).

Ordered from Buy.com on Sunday. Usually get shipments fast from them, but 2 business days later, still says "Processing: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days" Anyone who ordered around the same time as me: did you guys get yours to ship yet?

BTW, I find it funny, shortly after selling out on Buy.com, 2 days later, it's back in-stock, but they jacked up the price to $366.99. Hope the price "fixing" isn't playing a part in the "processing" delay....

I also ordered Sunday and my order has been shipped. It says it should arrive on Thursday. As for the price, yeah I noticed that the monitors were selling for $310 or so a couple weeks ago, then it shot back to $360, then back down to $304... then back to $360... it will go back down in a couple weeks most likely. Standard retail "sales".

Merry Christmas! Provantage is now selling these babies for under $300 shipped. I ordered another one because I couldn't resist the price!

How's the exchange policy at Provantage? I think I'm gonna cancel my B&H order if it's favorable. They're just taking too long.

Guys, right now buy.com at ebay is selling this monitor for $289, plus the current 8% cash back, it is indeed a good price. You can even choose free shipping in the checkout process.

Interesting review: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2009/test-nec-ea231wmi-bk.html
It is in German, but readable with Google translate.

Based on what I could understand it sounds like the input lag/response time is really good on this monitor but there is some sort of streaking issue (they didn't really seem to clarify what the problem was)? The buy.com price is hard to argue with atm but if I need a monitor that can handle PC/PS3 gaming would I regret choosing this model? I was originally looking at the Dell 2209WA but the resolution and connection options on this NEC are better suited for PC and PS3 gaming.

Hmm I dunno where u find at $289 cos I'm on Buy.com's website and it is listed at $358 for a total of $381 including shipping. And provantage has knocked their price up to $329 per monitor. So that's now $350 after shipping. Guess early birds got the worm in this case. =) I'm still pretty happy with the under $300 shipped pricetag that I got!

Based on what I could understand it sounds like the input lag/response time is really good on this monitor but there is some sort of streaking issue (they didn't really seem to clarify what the problem was)? The buy.com price is hard to argue with atm but if I need a monitor that can handle PC/PS3 gaming would I regret choosing this model? I was originally looking at the Dell 2209WA but the resolution and connection options on this NEC are better suited for PC and PS3 gaming.

I'm unsure of the streaking issue that you mention. I haven't really seen it in Aion, even in Raids. Then again I'm running the game on 5970 hardware.
What I do notice however is that the TN panel sitting right next to it seems to be more responsive in FPS games when you spin your view quickly. The textures on the walls are rock solid on the TN but the IPS lags behind the TN in updating them. But you only notice it when spinning your view, left to right quickly. Going straight forward/backwards, I don't notice any difference at all.

The input lag on the EA231wmi seems to keep up with the TN for the most part on 10 shots that I took on the inputlag testing site. However, on bootup looking side by side you can tell that the TN is slightly faster than the IPS.

Last edited:

I ordered it on 12/7 when the price was $304+ 10 shipping. it was shipped the following day.Fedex tracking said it will deliver on 12/10 woot!!

the price is now 360 + 23 shipping. bull shit

What the hell is with all these changing prices, that Provantage price hardly lasted a day :mad:

edit - Now buy just raised it to $342 from $289 as I was literally checking out on Amazon....

Last edited:
@ karoth & Locrian: Thanks for the confirmation. I just checked now and mine has finally shipped w/ a FedEx tracking #! Supposed to be here Saturday (?). Didn't think they delivered on the weekends. And, yes, I too chose the free shipping method :)

Haha. Funny about this game of musical chairs w/ the constant price changes. As of now (12/8/09 @ 4:05pm EST), ProVantage (re)jacked up their price to $329.58. And Buy is at $341.99. Even more amusing, if you search for the monitor on Google Shopping, it lists the base prices as $279.37 and $288.99, for ProVantage and Buy.com, respectively. Clearly, both shops must be changing their prices once or twice a day..

The input lag on the EA231wmi seems to keep up with the TN for the most part on 10 shots that I took on the inputlag testing site. However, on bootup looking side by side you can tell that the TN is slightly faster than the IPS.

Hey Smoke, thanks for the informative post. That's pretty nice the NEC IPS keeps up w/ a TN panel! You have a Dell SX2210, right? I was looking at the spec's, and it's rated to be 2ms? If the NEC is pretty close to that, that should be amazing!

Lastly, I seem to recall someone posting their tweaked color calibration file on these boards. But I'm not sure if it was for this NEC or the Dell U2410. If someone has kick ass calibration settings us EA231WMi owners could use, I along w/ everyone else would be greatly appreciative if you could share w/ us!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1475568

I'm selling mine if someone wants a good deal.

Sorry to bring this up here, but I'm not a l337 user w/ 50 or more posts to reply in your Buy/Sell thread. :rolleyes:. No offense, but your asking price is way high: $310 for a USED monitor? When you can buy it BRAND new for LESS, at ProVantage (they just dropped their price again, lol, to $279.37).

Good luck.....

Sorry to bring this up here, but I'm not a l337 user w/ 50 or more posts to reply in your Buy/Sell thread. :rolleyes:. No offense, but your asking price is way high: $310 for a USED monitor? When you can buy it BRAND new for LESS, at ProVantage (they just dropped their price again, lol, to $279.37).

Good luck.....

Yeah I see that. Sucks for me that the price has dropped so much in about a month since I bought it. :( But its good for anyone who is buying it now.
I dropped my price. No lottery with mine though! No backlight bleed that I can see and no noticable tinting to me.

Hey Smoke, thanks for the informative post. That's pretty nice the NEC IPS keeps up w/ a TN panel! You have a Dell SX2210, right? I was looking at the spec's, and it's rated to be 2ms? If the NEC is pretty close to that, that should be amazing!

That's right I have the NEC Ea231wmi and a Dell SX2210. I am preparing to part with the Dell eventually so that I can do Eyefinity with 3 matched monitors. But that's a bit down the road. Maybe around Xmas? For now I have a second NEC on the way.

The SX2210 basically uses the same fast panel as Alienware (AW 2210), so it's pretty darn fast and responsive, plus it has a glossy display. Now to some, glossy screen is a plus and to others a minus. I've gotten used to it. The SX2210 has the edge in a few situations, but I'd say 80% of the time, I didn't notice a performance difference between the Dell TN and the NEC IPS.

I placed the two monitors in a 2 screen 'Eyefinity group' for testing. So basically it was rendering half of Wolfenstein on each screen. Wolfenstein's Eyefinity support is not very good though as it didn't fill up both screens. When i get back home to my sig rig, i can do more testing and I'll try to find a game that supports Eyefinity better and compare again. Maybe Dragon Age:Origins or Aion might be better games to use as testing platforms?

Back