NEC 2490WUXi-BK vs. 2690WUXi-BK

Candell

n00b
Hi fellas,

I wish to purchase the 2490WUXi-BK but according to my local distributor, they decided to stop shipping in the 24" because of the "price difference"......

What do you guys think of the 26"? I've searched the forums and realised that there are certain QC issues with the 26 incher. Have they been solved or are they still persistent?

I think i was in a similar situation as you a few weeks ago.
I was browsing thru all the relevant threads about the 2690 and there are some pretty nasty stories which nearly put me off in buying this LCD. (Thankfully i decided to bite the bullet and got one)

This is based on my personal experience as i just got one yesterday.

1)LCD Component Noise issue - pretty much silent,my casing fans/video card cooler/HDDs sound louder than the LCD. (And the fans are already pretty silent by themselves,)

2)Dead pixels/stuck pixels - None

3)Screen blemish - one tiny small foreign particle was causing a "shadow" of itself to be projected on the screen on the top left hand corner. Maybe the more experienced folks can explain this better than i do.

4)Backlight Bleeding - clearly visible on the top right and bottom center. Not very noticeble when actually using the monitor instead of staring at the blank screen in a dark room. Honestly i have seen worst in other LCDs.

As with all LCDs,i think it is pretty much luck of the draw. Honestly it is quite hard or lucky to get a 100% perfect LCD nowadays. It is basically your personal tolerance on faults/and your luck in the positions in which these faults occur on the LCD. If it was smack dab in the center then it might be much less tolerable than say one which occurs on the extreme corners. Best is if it is possible to test a screen before you buy it but unfortunately this might not apply in all cases.

I am quite happy with my purchase and decided to overlook the minor faults (to me) in this excellent monitor. I hope you can draw your own conclusions based on your personal tolerance level.

The LCD2690WUXi has many QC issues and is wide-gamut, which means that colors will be over-saturated in non-color-managed applications. The LCD2490WUXi supposedly has far fewer QC issues and uses the sRGB gamut, which is more desirable for the vast majority of applications.

Yesterday, I bought an LCD2490WUXi for $1105 shipped from Buy.com. Hopefully, I will receive it on Friday, and I will let you know how it turns out. :)

Would I have a choice, I'd most likley go for 2490, but in Europe, there is no choice. 2690 can be set to sRGB emulation, which removes over-saturation to some degree, so it can be used. And it is 1,5" larger - no big deal though :)

I am on LCD2690Wuxi Number 2,

So far this unit is perfect. No noise, no dead or stuck pixels or sub pixels, even back lighting and solid panel in general with almost zero blb. My first one was not great. These were the issues I had with it:

1) Panel looseness all across the top. I was able to depress the panel in a good 3 or 4mm and it made a soft snapping/creaking sound
2) Many stuck subpixels at the top
3) Seemed to run a bit warm.

I called up NEC a week after I bought it, and within 2 business days I have my current replacement unit. If you call them within 30 days of purchase they will send you a brand new unit. After 30 days you get a refurb.

Their customer service is second to none. You can find some black screen photos of my new unit in the DS-263N thread which I provided for comparison.

I am very happy with my current unit and hope it lasts to the end of the 4 year warranty. I have used the SpectraView II combination to calibrate to an SRGB curve/gamma and it has lessened the oversaturation quite well, and is far superior in color quality compared to the sRGB preset.

I would highly recommend you get the Spectraview II kit for th LCD2690 or buy specifically the LCD2690WuXi-SV version to get full features out of this monitor.

Regards,

10e

Well, I cancelled mine before billing and shipment. Buy.com messed something up, and it will take a miracle to get things straightened out with their terrible tech support.

Thanks for all your inputs.

I'm trying to see where I can get the 2490 from shops that ship internationally.

Back