0.5 second exposure:

nec05.jpg

1.0 second exposure:

nec10.jpg

5.0 second exposure:

nec50.jpg

Lower left hand corner, 1.0 second exposure:

necpurple.jpg

As you can see, the backlight bleeding is pretty terrible considering the price of this monitor. The 1.0 second exposure is close to what I see in complete darkness and you can see where the backlight is uneven on the lower left, upper left, and lower right. With the lights on, it's better and not so noticeable, but when I'm playing a 4:3 game or viewing a 4:3 video, the bottom left is visibly purple, especially if I lean in a bit. The close-up shows just how bad the lower left hand corner is when I lean in close. I've had this monitor for close to a month now and I have ColorComp on and I've tried running it on full brightness for a few days to no avail.

I was wondering if this is common for this monitor and if anyone has any opinions or advice on how this can happen and ways to fix it.

Yikes. That kind of looks like A-TW glow in the bottom picture, but the front on ones show it is not..... Looks like that needs to be returned.... Other pictures I have seen of this monitor look nothing like that.

Does the bleeding annoy you during normal use of the monitor?

Mine was worst than that when I first got it. a week use its almost perfect unless viewing it from extreme angle. I say give it a week unless there is a proble with return policy.

It does annoy me during normal usage. For example, I'm playing Warcraft 3 and looking at the mini-map, and I can see that the bottom left corner looks gray rather than black.

Also, I've had the monitor for a month now so an extra week or so won't matter. Please read my post carefully next time.

Thats not that bad for LG panels. You should see the crappy backlight on the 30"-ers

I don't think it has anything to do with the panel, but rather the matte layer they put in front of it. When I push in the center of the panel, the lower left corner darkens. I believe it's because the layer bulges slightly in the middle and therefore is uneven across the whole display. It also creaks a lot when I push it in, leading me to believe that it's loose.

Either way I put in the request for a replacement with Amazon. Here's to hoping that it won't have any dead pixels.

I don't think it has anything to do with the panel, but rather the matte layer they put in front of it. When I push in the center of the panel, the lower left corner darkens. I believe it's because the layer bulges slightly in the middle and therefore is uneven across the whole display. It also creaks a lot when I push it in, leading me to believe that it's loose.

There are actually a whole series of layers in a lcd panel that spread out, diffuse, polarize and filter the light from the ccfl bulbs - any one or more could be a source of the problem if there is a bubble of air between them. It could also be light leaking though at the edges, you push it and it creates a larger gap.

It does annoy me during normal usage. For example, I'm playing Warcraft 3 and looking at the mini-map, and I can see that the bottom left corner looks gray rather than black.

Also, I've had the monitor for a month now so an extra week or so won't matter. Please read my post carefully next time.

So contact NEC. 2690 is a pretty expensive monitor to let this pass.

Mine was worst than that when I first got it. a week use its almost perfect unless viewing it from extreme angle. I say give it a week unless there is a proble with return policy.

Ditto. I had a new NEC 20WMGX2 that looked excellent after pressure equalized after a couple weeks. Give it a week and you'll be able to tell. If you can squeeze the bezel lightly and still see ripples easily fanning out then thats not good

caused by front panel glass unevenness, not necessary light leak. The front glass panel is a bit lose on mine, I can even shift it left or right with my hand on my 2690.

lcdglow7.jpg

enhanced exposure to enhance the image.

stimulated exposure to match actual eye view (below)
lcdglow1.jpg

lcdglow2.jpg

lcdglow1.jpg

lcdglow3.jpg

lcdglow4.jpg

lcdglow5.jpg

lcdglow6.jpg

no human eye could detect what's been produced in ya 5 sec exposure... all the lcd monitors would do that after 5 sec exp.

Not sure how close you were when you took the 1.0 second exposure, but move back a bit and see if it changes. Even with the A-TW polarizer, even the NEC is not 100% perfect off-angle, but if you move back and shoot a 1.0 second photo, if it is the same it's backlight bleed, but if it's not, it's just slight off-angle white glow.

My panel also moves easily until it's warmed up.

Here's mine at 1.0 second for comparison, but about 80 cm or 2.5feet back.

2511254848_a147466f63_b.jpg

Owners of the 2690, can you post some shots of their monitor a solid grey background?

I have 2 LGs which use the exact same panel and I seem to have a problem with slight color shift across the screen on both (one is almost unnoticeable, on the 2nd its more pronounced)

Back