NEC 3090WQXi Official Thread with Reviews, Videos and Pics...

To answer my own question, yes it does work - Spectraview II recognizes the EU version and HW calibrates it just fine :D

uhm, not making fun of you, but isn't that a $10 walmart returned desk/table you have holding up your $1500 monitor? :eek:)

Just got my NEC today, greatpicture, Overabundant/safe nice packaging in the box. I think it's the best monitor packing I have ever seen!

And $50 speakers? Lol.

I own a Dell 3008WFP and the HP 3065 30" monitors.
Both of these monitors are wide gamut monitors, which I really don't like.
The only way for me to adjust them to show sRGB colors is by profiling them with my color calibrator (Lacie Blue Eye Pro) and then use color managed applications like Photoshop or Firefox, but every other software which is not color managed shows overly saturated colors.
I was wondering if there is any 30" monitor that I can buy which allows to reduce its hardware color space to match the sRGB specs so that all my programs will show correct sRGB colors even if they are not color managed?

I was wondering if there is any 30" monitor that I can buy which allows to reduce its hardware color space to match the sRGB specs so that all my programs will show correct sRGB colors even if they are not color managed?

The upcoming NEC PA301W may be able to do this.

Isn't it possible to hardware calibrate the 3090WQXi internal LUT with the Spectraview-II to display sRGB instead of Wide Gamut?

The Eizo CG301W implements a "full featured" color space emulation via Color Navigator but has no H-IPS Panel.

Best regards

Denis

Emulation is rubbish.
No rubbish: The emulation works just perfectly. I have already posted the visualisation of the measured gamut in Lab and the deviations in DeltaE94 that reflect human perception accurately enough. Although I haven't tested the 30" version I can assure that the CGs just behave like a good non WCG display after the color space emulation with sRGB as target (the "sRGB gradation" also achieved - most non WCG don't have a possibility to achieve this TRC via their OSD). The accuracy (in direct comparison to a non WCG display) is finally in most cases even higher because there are no deviations like little "under coverages" (that can't be compensated even in a managed workflow). The electronic preserves tonal values in the "transformation workflow" so that banding is avoided. The FRC-dithering stage (to drive the 8-Bit panel and "preserve the through the electronic preserved tonal values") works well - that means inconspicuously.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
albovin, would you be willing to analyze why sRGB emulation does not look correct to you? I was disappointed that my comment in the XL30 thread did not lead to a civil discussion. Simply saying that theory differs from practice is not enough; when theory differs from practice, you change the theory to better fit practice, and/or figure out how to make more accurate observations.

Have you tried the CG301W? I know you have an XL30 and don't like its sRGB emulation.

Here are some reasons I can think of that the Samsung XL30 and/or Eizo CG301W sRGB emulation would not look correct to you:
  1. LCDs that are considered "reference sRGB monitors" don't match the theoretically defined sRGB specification, so monitors that emulate sRGB are emulating the "wrong standard" — the theoretical one instead of the practical one. This is what I proposed in the XL30 thread.
  2. Incorrect implementation. The monitor is not doing the correct chain of calculations, i.e., 1) convert sRGB gamma curve to linear, 2) do a linear matrix transform to convert the sRGB primaries to monitor-specific, calibrated primaries, 3) convert tone curve from linear to monitor-specific, calibrated for each channel (R,G,B) using individual, multi-point curves for each channel. Maybe the monitor is taking shortcuts or cutting corners in the chain of calculations, and somehow the calibration software is complicit in this (because it still reports low delta-Es).
  3. Spectral sensitivities in the colorimeter (the one used to calibrate the sRGB-emulating LCD) do not match the spectral sensitivity curves of your retinal cones; this would cause the colorimeter to see different metamers than your eyes, and thus it would disagree as to which mixes of monitor-specific R,G,B would result in sRGB R,G,B
  4. 30-inch monitors have inadequate uniformity to match with a "reference sRGB" 24-inch LCD (but both the XL30 and CG301W have a uniformity correction option, which if properly implemented should make this point moot)

EDIT: discussion moved.

Last edited:
A few things.

1. The question was: "Isn't it possible to hardware calibrate the 3090WQXi internal LUT with the Spectraview-II to display sRGB instead of Wide Gamut? "
The answer: No.

2. Want realistic colors? Get sRGB monitor. Period.

Are there any 30" sRGB monitors available on the market? If yes, which?

Any sRGB monitor delivers a wide gamut? I was under the impression that any wide gamut can theoretically deliver sRGB, but not vice versa. Am I wrong?

I don't think that is true. I read that the recent LCD3090W-BK-SV is simply the 3090WQXi bundled with SVII-PRO-KIT.
Greetings everybody, this is only my second post. Xorbe is right. I purchased my 3090WQXi five days ago. The only difference bewteen the two 30 inch NEC models is just the software that is included. The hardware in each box is identical. I went through several days of frustration trying to get this clarified. Your serial number is how NEC knows which version you have purchased. Thanks to all of you for comments regarding this monitor. It was nice to know everything, good and bad, about the 3090WQXi before I purchased it.

Back