NEC 3520A issues

GForce64

Gawd
I recently recieved an NEC 3520A DVD burner to install into my computer. I replaced a Sony CD-RW with it, which was set to slave. I did likewise with the NEC.

The drive sees discs fine, but when I insert media into it, Windows sees it as a CD drive. I can't burn DVD's, obviously. What is wrong with my drive?

GForce64 said:
I recently recieved an NEC 3520A DVD burner to install into my computer. I replaced a Sony CD-RW with it, which was set to slave. I did likewise with the NEC.

The drive sees discs fine, but when I insert media into it, Windows sees it as a CD drive. I can't burn DVD's, obviously. What is wrong with my drive?

Chances are, you still have the software which came with your old Sony drive still installed in your PC. And even if a big-name drive OEM like Sony uses Nero or Roxio, those vendors often cripple the compatibility of the software by limiting its compatibility to the drive which the software's packaged with. (I found that the hard way when I tried installing a copy of Nero which came with my old 52X Aopen CD-RW drive into my brother's system that came with a 48X Sony CD-RW drive.)

I bought this computer OEM, and as far as I know, the only software that MIGHT have come with the Sony drive would have been PowerDVD. I'm trying uninstalling that now.

GForce64 said:
I bought this computer OEM, and as far as I know, the only software that MIGHT have come with the Sony drive would have been PowerDVD. I'm trying uninstalling that now.

Don't uninstall PowerDVD. That software is required when you're watching pre-recorded DVD videos on your PC. You will need CD/DVD-burning software (which you apparently don't have).

I have Nero. The software isn't the issue, it's what Windows sees it as.

Here's what I'm talking about.

What Windows sees it as without a disc inside.

What Windows sees it as with a disc inside.

GForce64 said:
I have Nero. The software isn't the issue, it's what Windows sees it as.

Here's what I'm talking about.

What Windows sees it as without a disc inside.

What Windows sees it as with a disc inside.

Which version of Nero are you using? Chances are, it's an older release of Nero which doesn't support the newest drives. Have you tried downloading the latest version of that software?

GForce64 said:

That's outdated. Nero has gone through two major revisions and several smaller ones since then: They went from 6.0 to 6.3 to 6.6.

Or did you really mean 6.6.0.16 (the latest version)?

Back