NEC EA231wmi 23" 1080p IPS LCD monitor $279 shipped...

I like this LCD.

2010-01-02%2022.40.51.jpg

Please forgive the phone photo.

Haha, that's pretty sweet... that's how I'm going to have mine setup most likely... hopefully find a cheap triple-monitor stand.

Like the keyboard too... click-clack...

Man, after on and off decisions recently about IPS's I decided to bite. I read the reviews and they confuse me as to the initial impression I had on IPS's, like huge input lag, high ghosting etc. But this one didn't seem to have any of that from what I've been reading this far.

Right now I'm using the Samsung P2570 (which I got because it had the Sammy logo and it looks epic) and I'm hoping this NEC will blow it away as far as "awe" factor. I tweaked the sammy to get every inch of accurate non-over saturated colors and great gray scale. For a couple of days I'm going to try running then side-by-side and see if I made the right decision, If I hate it I could always sell it here.

Any of you have any configuration setting for some of us new to IPS's could use?

I'm pretty sure the NEC's are calibrated out of the factory, or atleast they try to... mine looked perfect, I think I just turned up the brightness cause Eco-mode drops it down a lot.

This is probably a stupid question. What would be better for me, this or a BenQ G2400W? I game just a little and when I do it would be a RPG, MMO or maybe MLB 2k10 that I just got the other day. I'm starting to work a little with photos and will use the monitor to watch some movies and TV shows. Some of the TV shows are 4:3 so the extra vertical resolution would be nice.
I guess the big question would be would I be losing much other than the 16:9 instead of 16:10? Would the input lag be about the same? Would the difference in refresh be a problem when I game? Thanks

This is probably a stupid question. What would be better for me, this or a BenQ G2400W? I game just a little and when I do it would be a RPG, MMO or maybe MLB 2k10 that I just got the other day. I'm starting to work a little with photos and will use the monitor to watch some movies and TV shows. Some of the TV shows are 4:3 so the extra vertical resolution would be nice.
I guess the big question would be would I be losing much other than the 16:9 instead of 16:10? Would the input lag be about the same? Would the difference in refresh be a problem when I game? Thanks

The ea231wmi will have much better image quality and viewing angles than the G2400W. It's worth going from 1200 to 1080 vertical resolution, in my opinion. There are many gamers who are quite happy with their ea231wmi panel. I wouldn't worry about the input lag at all.
But there are many more gamers who still have not seen the light of IPS.

I can let you know on Friday my first hand impressions of 3x ea231wmi's and how they look compared to the Dell 2209wa, NEC 20wmgx2 and Asus VW266H... but the sale will be over by then.

Just order it already.

Damn... the deal ends today and I want to order the third one already...

Set my 2nd one up in portrait and it's pretty epic... My only issue now is where to put my speakers... there's not a whole lot of desk space left.

I like this LCD.

2010-01-02%2022.40.51.jpg

Please forgive the phone photo.

Well I gave in and bought one. I will probably buy one more before the deal ends. Where did you get that keyboard?

Does anyone know if Portrait Landscape Portrait is supported or coming soon? I'm looking through the ATI forum now, but time is running out. I want to do this with 2x23" and 1x24.

Last edited:
You actually use Eco mode?

No I turned it off, but even then it was pretty dim.

Right now one monitor is at like 85% in sRGB and the other is at 75% brightness in sRGB...

I really want eyefinity now... $400 ish for a 5870 and $280 for another NEC... but I'd have to order tonight...

Ordered one. If this thing sucks I will be mad at each and every one you.

Laptop 13 inch been hurting my eyes for awhile now...bought a 21.5 inch samsung TN LCD from costco and it was horrible (the colors were washed out). I hope this lcd is about a crisp as my friend's macbook pro lcd.

Ordered one. If this thing sucks I will be mad at each and every one you.

Laptop 13 inch been hurting my eyes for awhile now...bought a 21.5 inch samsung TN LCD from costco and it was horrible (the colors were washed out). I hope this lcd is about a crisp as my friend's macbook pro lcd.

I already blame Blazestorm and karoth for 2 of my monitors. ;)
As soon as I sell my 24" monitor I will blame them for the 3rd monitor. :cool:
And when my hand heals and I resume gaming I will blame Kyle for a new ATI card. :p

Well apparently the promo-code doesn't work because I used it already... but it says a limit of 5...

Not sure if I should order it at $310 and just contact them and see if they'll give me the promo price or not... ? Especially if I'm under the limit of 5 and before the deadline... I think that's fair to ask...

Heh, I took the risk... I've had an account there for a while and I've never had them "deny" crediting my account...

If it's just a $30 store credit that's fine too, I spend thousands at newegg D=

Now just gotta pickup a 5870 :)

Snagged one myself. I've got a Macbook Pro 13" so I'll be interested to see how sluggish it gets with a 9400m. Oh, well. That's just an excuse to upgrade right? :)

But yep, they already setup a $30 refund on the invoice... :D

Newegg being awesome like always...

I ordered 3 for a co-worker. I got them Friday and opened one up to check it out. It is noticeably dimmer than the Dell 2209wa, even with the eco mode turned off and brightness turned up. The whites are not very white. Perhaps that would be easier on the eyes.

Perhaps it still tries to adjust the brightness with the ambient light sensor. I tried turning the brightness all the way up and I still wasn't happy with it. I tested it in my basement with low lighting and it was between my 3x 2209wa e-ips panels and my s-ips Nec 20wmgx2.

The colors seemed comparable to the Dells and the viewing angles were good. It looked pretty good in portrait as well. I didn't notice any dead or stuck pixels and the overall quality seemed good.

J Macker,

I put this next to my 2407-HC and with eco-mode off the brightness was searing my eyeballs. I will turn both up to max brightness and compare again.

I ordered 3 for a co-worker. I got them Friday and opened one up to check it out. It is noticeably dimmer than the Dell 2209wa, even with the eco mode turned off and brightness turned up. The whites are not very white. Perhaps that would be easier on the eyes.

Perhaps it still tries to adjust the brightness with the ambient light sensor. I tried turning the brightness all the way up and I still wasn't happy with it. I tested it in my basement with low lighting and it was between my 3x 2209wa e-ips panels and my s-ips Nec 20wmgx2.

The colors seemed comparable to the Dells and the viewing angles were good. It looked pretty good in portrait as well. I didn't notice any dead or stuck pixels and the overall quality seemed good.

If I turn my brightness on mine over 60 or so I'd have Retina burn, may be something wrong with the one you opened up.

Larry

I think people just have different tolerances...

My 42" Plasma can definitely get too bright though. I have it set pretty low (40-50%)... but some people claim that's still too bright.

Well, unless he says something about it, I'm not going to worry. He picked them up yesterday and took them home. Hopefully they're all okay and he doesn't notice. It would be nice if he was very impressed though.

Turning off the auto brightness and eco mode results in the brightness being way to high. I've set the brightness down to 50, but I will probably go a little lower.

I don't see a problem, but then again I consider myself a noob at this. :confused:

Got mine today, still waiting on a mini displayport to full displayport cable to arrive. Hooked it up to my 360 and saw that it had one dead pixel in the center area of the screen. Def a downer there. Didn't see any other dead pixels though (I'll do a full check once it's connected to my laptop.) It's way too bright at 100%. I found that with Eco Mode 2 on and 30% brightness I got decent results for playing Forza 3. I'll fool around with it some more later and hopefully find a buddy with a calibration tool.

Got mine today, still waiting on a mini displayport to full displayport cable to arrive. Hooked it up to my 360 and saw that it had one dead pixel in the center area of the screen.

I thought I had several dead (sub-)pixels but after I took a cloth and wiped it gently, I realized it was only dust that made it seem like they were dead pixels.

Good luck on that one. Newegg csr doesn't seem very sympathetic for giving credit.

What's more important, not sympathetic about defective monitors (dead/stuck pixels etc). I passed even though this was a great deal otherwise.

Looks like its back in stock for the same price.

Still not bad considering the equivalent dell is back ordered.

Back