NEC LCD20WGX2 vs. Dell 2007FPW

Ummagumma

Weaksauce
NEC:
20.1 inch widescreen AS-IPS display with OptiClear DVM
1680 x 1050 recommended resolution
700:1 contrast ratio (1600:1 with Advanced DVM)
6 ms response time (grey-to-grey)
Nec specs

review 1

review 2

Dell 2007FPW:

1.JPG

Link

Does anyone know if Dell is using the same panel (AS-IPS), or do they go PVA all the way this year? After seeing the reviews of the acer 24" with the new S-PVA tech, it would be a bummer if they chose PVA instead for the 20". An AS-IPS panel with Dell pricing would be SWEET! :D

What exactly is the question?

If Dell is using the same panel (AS-IPS)?

or the NEC vs the Dell as the thread title suggests?

I read in another Web (spanish forum) that the new DELL will use panels MVA of AU Optronic.

You're asking us to compare one monitor to one that hasn't even been announced formally yet, much less reviewed anywhere online. We're all anxious to hear about the new Dell lineup, just wait a few weeks.

Umm... at a suggested retail price of 369 pounds...wouldn't that monitor be like 700 or 800 bucks US? You could get a 2405fpw for that price.

Chairman Ma said:
What exactly is the question?

If Dell is using the same panel (AS-IPS)?

or the NEC vs the Dell as the thread title suggests?

Sorry, a bit badly formulated :)

The question was if the Dell was going to use the same panel (AS-IPS). It didn't look like it from the specs, but in the "panel technology" section it stated "IPS (In-Plane Switching) / PVA". Would be sweet if it actually turned out to be the new AS-IPS panels after all!

The headline was more specs vs. specs. :)

silentsammy said:
Umm... at a suggested retail price of 369 pounds...wouldn't that monitor be like 700 or 800 bucks US? You could get a 2405fpw for that price.

Its $645 and no you cant get a 2405 for that. Putting UK prices direct to US prices is stupid, dont do it.

A 2405FPW costs £680 here, so £369 is half the price.

that nec looks like a beautiful monitor, but imho too pricey.

im looking into the NEC ver. but waiting to see the Dell2007. I saw some where that the NEC has a built in tuner, component input,speakers & remote. I really like the glossy screen for the NEC makes me think its a CRT. The NEC will be more $ but more features than the 2007.

Those are LCD20WMGX2. As opposed to what this topic and all the reviews are about, which is the LCD20WGX2. Can anyone tell me the difference? From what I can tell just by looking at it, the "M" has Television functions.

Sorry but, IMO, no 20" LCD, widescreen or not, is worth the price they are asking for this.

EnJoY120 said:
Figured it out, the "M" is just the US version.
i think the version in europe and UK is actually different than the US one. their price is cheaper too. one sold in europe doesn't have detached speaker and remote control and is not TV tuned.

That panel looks like a gamers paradise. :D The specs said IPS/PVA and I cannot find an IPS or PVA panel to match the specs. Either the specs are wrong, there are new panels not introduced or the 2007 actually has a MVA panel. There is also the possibility that the 2007 have different versions with different panels.

DarkBahamut said:
Its $645 and no you cant get a 2405 for that. Putting UK prices direct to US prices is stupid, dont do it.

A 2405FPW costs £680 here, so £369 is half the price.

Ok then...$645 it is....that's still a pretty steep price for a 20 inch screen. I've seen 23" and 24" screens come down to the mid $800's so if your gonna spend anywhere in that $650 range I'd think most people would throw in the extra two hundred bucks for the vastly bigger screen space.

The NEC better be pretty fantastic for $650.

The last thing people usually upgrade is the monitor. I think its sad to build an increadible gaming machine and then buy an average or crappy monitor because its cheap. With gaming many would also want the best colors possible, good response time and excelent viewing angles. It looks like the NEC delivers all of this. PVA, MVA and TN panels have great blacks and whites, but suffers on viewing angle and colors. The NEC have great blacks too... :D
Going 2005 to 2405 would be an upgrade of inputs and size, but downgrade of PQ IMO. Matter of taste really.
Going 2405 to 2407 wouldn't be much of an upgrade if you look at specs. The Acer 24" that had the improved PVA panel wasn't that much better then the 2405FPW IMO and the 2405FPW have more inputs and DVI... What would the upgrade be? HDCP, better backlight and improved overdrive that puts it from 16 ms BtW - 12 ms GtG to 16 ms BtW - 6 ms GtG? I'll probably offend some here, but doesn't the 2407 look more like a 2405 with a new wrapping then a new generation of panels?
If the 2005's IPS goes AS-IPS, then we are talking about generation shifts! :D

I will be purchasing this monitor soon (as soon as I get my 7800, there's no way a 6800 can fill all those pixels) and I based my decision DVL's awesome review on widescreengamingforum.com. It might be expensive, but its an awesome value. Sure, you can get a 24" 2405 for the same price or a 20" 204B for a few hundred less, but you'll be losing more than you gain. You'll gain 4 inches with the 2405, but one look around these forums showcases the shortcomings of it, and they are so numerous I will not list them here. I do not have much knowledge or experience with the 204B, but just looking at newegg shows peoples dissapointment with it. I can basically say the same for all other LCD's I've looked at.

I've heard nothing but praise for the NEC, and, to me, an LCD with zero technical issues with worth a premium, especially one that has component inputs, a TV tuner and is HDCP compliment. As someone put it, its "honestly priced".

So this NEC is 6-bits right? I really wish it wasn't but so far my google searches, NEC's vague specs of "over 16 million colors", and cnet's listing as a 16.2 million color monitor make me think that it is. I wish it was an 8-bit panel. Hrmm in the official PDF spec sheet it says 16.7m colors. I'll go check this monitor out tomorrow.

SonComet said:
So this NEC is 6-bits right? I really wish it wasn't but so far my google searches, NEC's vague specs of "over 16 million colors", and cnet's listing as a 16.2 million color monitor make me think that it is. I wish it was an 8-bit panel. Hrmm in the official PDF spec sheet it says 16.7m colors. I'll go check this monitor out tomorrow.
it's 8-bit. there are reviews on that monitor on behardware and widescreengaming that confirms it.

kubebot said:
Just got the NEC 20WMGX2 today, and i luvz it :)
BEST LCD EVER!

Where did you order from? Pics pics??? Im thinking of RMA my Viewsonic VX2025m for the NEC

Frys in California/City of Industry.
Gonna post pics as soon as i figure out how to do so......sorry i've never been much of a forum poster.

is there going to be a 23 or 24" screen that uses the new IPS technology? if there will be I'd rather wait for those. if not, then this is the best option for an LCD screen.

Anyone know if this monitor is HD like the Gateway 21"? e.g. through the component inputs, which type of high definition can it play (the Gateway can play up to 1080i). As well, does anyone know where this is available in Canada? I would rather pick it up then have it shipped to me.

Thanks.

vishank said:
Anyone know if this monitor is HD like the Gateway 21"? e.g. through the component inputs, which type of high definition can it play (the Gateway can play up to 1080i). As well, does anyone know where this is available in Canada? I would rather pick it up then have it shipped to me.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure it's HDCP compliant, 90% sure, but I wouldn't put my life on it.

Yup HDCP
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista-ready_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page4.asp
Im really impressed with the way this monitor can use non-native resolutions. Playing COD2 @ 1024x768 with forced 16:10 aspect ratio looks decent. Dont get me wrong i want to play @ 1680x1080,but on my system its too chuggy(im a frame rate nazi, no lower than 50). Played Metroid Prime with component cables last night. Ran it at 480p(highest GC will go) & it was acceptable looking. Gonna try XBOX360 with the vga cable. Running 1280x1024 should look good, i aready know this is the highest resolution the 360 will run.
BTW my gaming rig specs:
A64 [email protected]/1.55v(xp 90 w/120mm aerocool)
G.Skill 4000@266x9
Albatron 7800GT@444/1.08(little OC,card gets too hot)
WD 74gig Raptor
Audigy2 platinum
Old Plextor DVD burner
Antec NeoHE 500
COOLER MASTER CAVALIER 3 CAV-T03-UW Silver Aluminum

kubebot said:
Yup HDCP
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista-ready_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page4.asp
Im really impressed with the way this monitor can use non-native resolutions. Playing COD2 @ 1024x768 with forced 16:10 aspect ratio looks decent. Dont get me wrong i want to play @ 1680x1080,but on my system its too chuggy(im a frame rate nazi, no lower than 50). Played Metroid Prime with component cables last night. Ran it at 480p(highest GC will go) & it was acceptable looking. Gonna try XBOX360 with the vga cable. Running 1280x1024 should look good, i aready know this is the highest resolution the 360 will run.
BTW my gaming rig specs:
A64 [email protected]/1.55v(xp 90 w/120mm aerocool)
G.Skill 4000@266x9
Albatron 7800GT@444/1.08(little OC,card gets too hot)
WD 74gig Raptor
Audigy2 platinum
Old Plextor DVD burner
Antec NeoHE 500
COOLER MASTER CAVALIER 3 CAV-T03-UW Silver Aluminum

damnit we want pics

Nephandus said:
If that NEC was 100 bucks cheaper, I could pry justify myself buying it.
How much is it? Iv seen $700, but it seems a little high. Any place with a lower price?

Back