NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK spotted

You don't have to say that you are sorry. It sure sounds like you got yourself a huge problem there. Good luck with it, and take care.

InToGraphics,

Care to elaborate on these screenshots? What software are we looking at, and what does it do?

Man sorry about this. Better late then never. I was convinced that I added the names in my initial reply. So I thought, he'll see it when he re-reads. But I was wrong.
Those are 2 programs from http://www.babelcolor.com/ "PatchTool" and "Color Translator and Analyzer" (CT&A).
There is a review of PatchTool here : http://www.wyofoto.com/Patch_tool_review.htm
One of the things you can do with PatchTool and the right hardware (DTP94, Eye-One Display2, Eye-One Pro, Spyder2, Spyder3) is very precisely check your calibration.
With CT&A you can create any custom RGB space. Only it eludes me if the custom space is useable within the program only or system wide.
You will have to contact the author Danny Pascale. Somewhere in July I already did, and explained about the NEC color space issues. But I couldn't get a clear answer whether the programs would be of any help. But it looks like they could.

Nope - all this would do is load the default graphics card LUT settings, which will achieve nothing in terms of changing the gamut from wide to sRGB. This ICC profile doesn't perform any color mappings, and it will not cause i1 Match 3 to calibrate to a new color space - you will still get a wide gamut after calibration.
Sorry. You don't get it. You are not supposed to load the ICC profile into your graphics card's LUTs.
Like I said, you load it as the target. As in the target for your calibration. So after loading it as the target into your calibration program, you still have to do a calibration. It's this new profile which will have to be loaded into the LUTs of the graphics card. This new profile will transform your graphics card's sRGB coordinates into your monitor's Adobe RGB color space coordinates. This will be an extreme transform. That's why the guy at Adobe forums wrote "The aRGB mode should cause small deviations from
the straight lines, the sRGB mode larger.".
With his method, your supposed to always keep your monitor in Adobe RGB color space.
Your graphics card's LUTs will transform the sRGB XYZ coordinates into the correct Adobe RGB XYZ coordinates. But because the sRGB coordinates will be further apart in the Adobe RGB color space, the curve will look awfully bent when the newly created sRGB profile is loaded into the graphics card's LUTs.

Also another thing. When you self-calibrate the NEC with the i1D2, you are only calibrating the monitor. You are not profiling it. You're only doing the first step of a full calibration/profiling. You in fact end up with a calibrated monitor without a profile (its color space is setup correctly to either Adobe RGB or simulated sRGB, or whatever you've chosen). But its exact coordinates are unknown.
Normally when you fully hardware calibrate a monitor, you calibrate the hardware (load the LUTs) and create a profile (mostly transformation rules). This profile can be another set of monitor LUTs or the transform can be done by calculation by the monitor. Or a combination of the two.
That's why with this method your graphics card's LUTs remain unchanged. The transformation rules can be determined because your graphics card is hooked up to the monitor.
So after self-calibrating the monitor you hook up your PC, and your graphics card is sending XYZ coordinates to your monitor. Alas there is no profile, so no transformation is done. Assume that your NEC is self-calibrated to simulated sRGB color space. Even when your application or OS tells your graphics card to send sRGB XYZ coordinates to your monitor, the coordinates will probably still be off. Because the card and monitor were never matched.
Your NEC in self-calibrated simulated sRGB mode and without a profile, is like any other sRGB monitor, because it's not calibrated to your particular graphics card.
Your NEC in self-calibrated Adobe RGB mode and without profile, is like any other Adobe RGB monitor, because it's not calibrated to your particular graphics card.
You will also have to create a profile to transform between your graphics card's and your monitor's coordinates after the self-calibration.

Hello,
What about sRGB hardware self calibration followed by software calibration+profiling?
Would that help to get more or less accurate sRGB?

An other question : does anyone know how to calibrate the 3090 through SVII and in Eco mode? It automaticly turns it off :mad:, thus cranking the backlight up, ending with ridiculous contrast (at low luminance targets : I like 80cd/m2).
Thanks

Just talked with an insider from a major chinese IT website... NEC offshore all their production in China and the quality control is on the low side... That's why their price is cheaper than Eizo with similar specs.. Test assurance costs been cut low

Just talked with an insider from a major chinese IT website... NEC offshore all their production in China and the quality control is on the low side... That's why their price is cheaper than Eizo with similar specs.. Test assurance costs been cut low

Really??
$3000+ 30" Eizo:
For a short time, a second model of the SX3031W was available to us for testing. As well as an operating noise which overlay the noise of the fan and changed to an unpleasant, light whistle when the monitor switched off, the homogeneity was considerably poorer than on our test model. Both models came from the free market.
Whilst our test model only demonstrated minimal, vertical banding for movements across homogenous surfaces, relevant steps were visible on the second model even for still images and mono-coloured surfaces. In addition, some horizontal shadowing was visible. There were also numerous subpixel errors.
To be fair, we shall point out here that most of the problems we encountered with the second model are caused by the panel, which Eizo also sourced from Samsung.
However, the quality guarantee for this model did not prove reliable.
This is prad.de test.

Eizo's price is crazy, quality is low.
What can your insider tell about Eizo offshore?

The problems people have encountered with NEC monitors are due to the panel, not the monitor. The panel is manufactured by LG in Korea. The only thing manufacturing the monitors in Japan would do is make the monitor cost twice as much while still having the same problems.

I don't think the problem is assembly in China (NEC) vs Japan (Eizo). The problem is the general quality of the panels (LG vs Samsung), and the selection criteria of the individual panels which are allowed into the assembly line.

Hello Everyone,

It is a sad day, my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070BS-SV is finally starting to give out. She has been so good to me since January 2003.

I read this entire thread and it only raises so many questions in my mind. I am in the market for a 30" LCD monitor and I am not well educated about all the technologies used in them. I have learned that an IPS Panel would be the choice. Found several companies that make them but some have certain features, some have other features, none really have all the features. I would like to start learning and using hardware calibration / software calibration to get as true colors as I can. Time to advance instead of just adjusting a few setting and calling it "ok"

Is the LCD3090WQXi-BK still the one to get?
People who have one, are you satisfied?

If you have one, please list your "Pros & Cons".

I see LG (W3000H-Bn) and HP(LP3065) have IPS panels but no OSM functions
Are these two able to be calibrated and all applications will recognize it?
Since they do not have built in scaling, does it work well with the video card doing it.? I have a GTX280.

I do like the features about the NEC being able to be calibrated and it has OSM. Really steering towards this panel.

Any of you using Vista 64bit with the i1 display 2 and the Spectraview II Software?

Some of you here are very good about all of this and I highly respect your knowledge. If you have any suggestions or like to advise me in the right direction, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Monnie

An other question : does anyone know how to calibrate the 3090 through SVII and in Eco mode? It automaticly turns it off :mad:, thus cranking the backlight up, ending with ridiculous contrast (at low luminance targets : I like 80cd/m2).
Thanks
This is exactly what I was thinking to try, when I get this monitor! Just use Eco mode and you get around the pesky minimum-backlight issue that the Prad review pointed out. Did you find any way to do this?

Hi all!
I'm new to forum.
I own NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK since yesterday, when I opened the monitor I immediately noticed some weird green color to the darkest tone of B/W photos and very dark images.
I calibrated the monitor with i1 display 2 but the problem was there! severe banding at all gradients . here are some pictures taken by testing the monitor via eizo-test program .
_MG_5375.jpg

_MG_5377.jpg

_MG_5380.jpg

_MG_5381.jpg

_MG_5382.jpg

_MG_5383.jpg

_MG_5384.jpg

After that test I start to search what is the course of this problem... I found out that when the "black level" from OSD setting is lower than 53.5% then this severe banding and color shift occurs.
So I seated the "black level" at 53.5% and everything is fine except of the black luminosity of monitor, is not black at all is rather ,washed out gray! with minimum luminosity of 2.1cd/m2!!

_MG_5386.jpg

I'm relay frustrated, so much money for what?
Please , help me , Is this a defective monitor? or this is how NEC electronics work?
Can someone who own the monitor , do the same test with "black level" 50% ? Do you have the same problems?

Last edited:
1. Reset all settings to factory using a function for that purpose since you don't know where the settings should be. Don't fool with contrast, black level or sharpness after this reset. If your display came with black level changed, who knows what else was changed (including settings in the hardware LUTs)

2. Leave ColorComp/Uniformity on.

3. You *really* should calibrate using Spectraview II. You spent a huge amount of cash on this display with built in hardware LUTs but use a video card LUT package instead, and then report banding (among other things - I'm not saying that a green bar should be expected from video card LUT profiling).

SVII profiling and hardware LUTs is a beautiful thing. This soft of programmability is the 90 series' raison d'etre. If you don't use it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Thank you very much!
I did what you advice me and finally the monitor is extremely vivid with deep black and fine gradients! I did hardware calibration with i1 display2.
There is only a very small color shifting at gray gradient, it is not completely neutral at the darker side.
What I have to do in order to choose 6500K as white point when I'm doing hardware calibration ?
After hardware calibration I have to perform also software calibration to create a icc profile?

I finally did it right! I used Spectraview II and everything is perfect with this monitor ! Perfect neutral gradients!
I didn't knew that Spectraview II is the right software for calibration... I live in Greece and European version of this monitor doesn't support Spectraview II software!! And also I must be one of the very few or the only Greek that use this monitor and I have no information available.
Thank you very much!

Back