NEC PA241W & P241W

skojil

n00b
Been looking for a new 24" monitor, and been looking at the usual places (here, prad, tftcentral etc), found albovins What To Choose From-thread. These two seems nice, but what actually separates them?
The PA can do proper sRGB and other gamuts, but I have a feeling that's not all. If I'd only use sRGB, would it still be better to have the PA? As in, is it better in any other way than the P241W? According to NEC they seem to be pretty much identical except for the gamut.

As I understand it:
PA has a P-IPS panel vs. an e-IPS in the other. Been hearing about quality control issues with e-IPS but does that apply here? Also read in the TFTCentral-review of the P241W that it had some backlight bleeding.. Is it correct to say that P241W has a lower quality panel and more likely to have issues (like bleed, uniformity etc)?

The input lag seem to be [potentially] significant with the P241W. Based largely on the TFTCentral-review which some here say isn't correct in that regard, but prad hasn't tested it so not much else to go on.

There generally isn't going to be any case where the P241 exceeds the PA241. If price isn't a large consideration, get the PA.

It's mostly down to the support of wide gamut on the PA. that also has an 8-bit + AFRC panel (10bit) whereas the P model is a normal 8-bit panel with standard gamut only. Those are the main spec differences

Alright, thanks. Money's not really an issue as long as it's a good display, just not too keen on paying for the wide gamut when it's not needed.

If you are just doing web development, or something that isn't going to need wide gamut, your'e not going to go wrong with the P241. It's basically identical electronically to the PA, but for a different, less expensive panel.

Honestly, were I looking for a monitor right now, I'd get one of the refurbed NEC 2490wuxi2 available on necdisplay.com for $350. The 2490 is comparable to the P241.

Hm, something to consider. Thanks for the tip!

It'd be just general usage; some coding and non-pro photo-work (sRGB only).

Do you or anyone else happen to know about the input lag on the P241W? Or any other issues for that matter. The P241W had a thread a while ago but it was short and didn't have much info.
The 40ms input lag in the TFTCentral review seems... odd.

It's mostly down to the support of wide gamut on the PA.

The PA241W has 100% sRGB coverage whereas the P241W only has 96.7%. Whether that's worth an extra $250 will depend on what the monitor is used for.

The 40ms input lag in the TFTCentral review seems... odd.

Why is that odd? It doesn't surprise me at all that NEC wouldn't focus on lowering input lag with a monitor that is designed for professional graphics work.

Why is that odd? It doesn't surprise me at all that NEC wouldn't focus on lowering input lag with a monitor that is designed for professional graphics work.

True, but it seemed strange to me that it would be so "slow" compared to previous NECs (even the 2490wuxi).

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info NCX!

A refurb'd LCD2490WUXi2-BKR might be a good alternative for a lot less money and almost identical capabilities as the P241W. It doesn't seem like you need the PA series wide gamut modes for your uses. The only real issue with the WUXi series is there inability to go very dim in terms of just back-light darkening.

In terms of quality like back-light bleed issues and stuff, the WUXi series seems to be less complained about than the PA series, but that doesn't mean a lot, and is an unknown with any screen until first look.

There have been many reports of quality issues with P-IPS screens as well, so eIPS versus P-IPS is probably meaningless.

Thanks everyone for your help! And for the tip about WUXI2, but I went with a P-model. We'll see if it's a keeper or not...
From what I gather here and elsewhere, the difference between the P and PA is pretty much just the gamut (96.7% vs 100% sRGB etc). Everything else is more or less identical, although the P might have a slightly better overdrive circuit (TFTCentral).

Just thought I'd add here that the input lag and ghosting was pretty poor (subjectively). Had a Dell u2412m before which I percieved as much faster. Not that I expected this to be a fast screen, I don't need it to be fast. However, I did expect half the panel not to be tinted faintly yellow...
I'll try to replace this and then try a PA. If that's also subpar I'll just stick to my CRT from now on. So sick of having to replace screens because of shitty QC. Feels like the bar for "acceptable" is set pretty low in production.

Just thought I'd add here that the input lag and ghosting was pretty poor (subjectively). Had a Dell u2412m before which I percieved as much faster. Not that I expected this to be a fast screen, I don't need it to be fast. However, I did expect half the panel not to be tinted faintly yellow...
I'll try to replace this and then try a PA. If that's also subpar I'll just stick to my CRT from now on. So sick of having to replace screens because of shitty QC. Feels like the bar for "acceptable" is set pretty low in production.

All NEC P/PA Series are made from two major OEM factories in China as well as in Poland.
Sorting Panel QC is 100% depended on the extra cost paid by OEM factories. For 1/2-1/3 price tag of EIZO Coloredge, the panel quality shall not be as good as in Coloredge series.

If you are just doing web development, or something that isn't going to need wide gamut, your'e not going to go wrong with the P241. It's basically identical electronically to the PA, but for a different, less expensive panel.

Honestly, were I looking for a monitor right now, I'd get one of the refurbed NEC 2490wuxi2 available on necdisplay.com for $350. The 2490 is comparable to the P241.

You forget to mention that Printer/Mobile Device profile emulation is only available in P241W and PA series.

Back