NEC SpectraView 2490WUXi2 first impressions...

Hi everybody,

Finally, after some "problems" with the courier service (they managed to lose the first replacement unit sent by NEC), I received the second unit, the original SpectraView 2490WUXi.

I realize this thread is about the 2490WUXi2, so I'll post my experience with the 2490WUXi in another thread (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1396129), following the suggestion by "albovin".

However, for anybody interested, I'd like to just point out the basic differences I have found between the newer model 2490WUXi2 and the original 2490WUXi:

1. A-TW (Advanced True Wide) Polarizer - It's great! There's some residual glow in dark screens but none when displaying the OS, applications or images, even full screen. Blacks look simply and bluntly black. As mentioned by "albovin", viewing a dark screen from an angle, there's some magenta tint looking from the right and greenish from the left. This side-effect is hardly noticeable when actually using the screen and for me it's definitely a non-issue.

2. Viewing angles - In all honesty, I expected perfection (as much as it would technically be possible or desirable) in this regard but it isn't. It is better than the newer 2490WUXi2, but still darkens vertically, although the effect is much more subtle. The 20 inchers still beat these wide panels when viewing from an angle.

3. Operating noise - the new 2490WUXi2 does not emit any obvious perceptible noise while the older 2490WUXi does (in Europe at least), and I have not one but two SpectraView 2490WUXis! First, when the computer is switched off, you can hear the power supply hum, although the computer fans completely mask this noise. Not much of a problem imho. Second, the backlight inverter produces some high frequency electrical noise that leaks from the top left section of the monitor. It only "appears" when you dim the screen below 75% brightness, which is a must for professional working environments (I usually calibrate the monitor between 100-140 cd/m2). The noise can be compared to that of a plasma TV; albeit you don't sit in front of a plasma TV as close as to a computer monitor... It's something I can live with but this is somewhat subjective.

4. Overall sharpness - The newer 2490WUXi2 actually beats the 2490 by a small margin here. The older model is no slouch at this, but I notice the older 2490WUXi is not as tack sharp as the new one. Perhaps you could say the new model is too sharp?

5. In conclusion - I find myself liking the older model more than the new one. The polarizer plus the extremely tight uniformity of the first unit I received make this monitor look "special" and unlike others I have seen previously. The only shame is that there's a green stuck sub-pixel at the right of the panel, which can only be seen over dark and grey backgrounds.

Thanks all for reading and will try to post a full review in the right thread when I have some time to spare.

Last edited:
the New Imac 27 inch LED IPS screens seem to be the best, I vieed these in the apple store, the high resutuon ins the best Iv seen, damn you apple !

I wonder when we will find out what the 27" apple panel is and when someone else will sell it to us :p

Last edited:
Hi,
the new panel is an LG LM270WQ1.
I’m another fan of the new iMac display but I would like to see a good review and calibration report of it.
On the paper seems to be a great deal if you don’t mind the upgrade limits of the iMac: storage in just one drive, no raid and lack of eSata port.

Back