Need 24"+ LCD for PC Gaming and TV Use

reswob

[H]ard|Gawd
The title basically states it all. I need recommendations on LCD TVs that are PC gaming and actual TV watching use. I was looking at a couple of Samsung's, but I had no idea what the quality/reliability was. Again, this will be hooked up to my computer for 24/7 use.

Have you looked at samsung's new series?

23" widescreen = LN-T2354H

I have seen it and it is awsome, but if you hurry now you can get the "old" version, the LNS2341W is a great deal, its like $560 if you look around.

You could get a 24" computer monitor such as the Benq 241W or 241WZ. They have component, composite, DVI and VGA inputs but no tuner. The advantage is much higher resolution for computer tasks.

If 720p is OK, I would also check out the Sharps.

Anyone else?
It would be helpful if you could give us some idea of your budget and also what type of computer work you'll be doing. A 720p TV (well, actually 1366 by 768) like the one BIGJ posted above is sufficient for TV use, but I personally find that resolution to be way too low for any type of computer work -- for comparison, a 19 inch widescreen PC monitor already has a resolution of 1440 by 900.

Does the monitor need to have a built in tuner, or will you be using this will a cable/satellite box? If not, then as sethk said, you might be better off looking at 24 inch PC monitors (e.g. Dell 2407wfp, BenQ FP241WZ, LG L246WP, Gateway FPD2485W, etc.) -- they all have resolutions of 1920 by 1200, so they support a full 1080p picture, and you shouldn't have a problem hooking up a digital cable box to any of them via component video or DVI/HDMI, for instance. The Gateway and LG are both available in Best Buy, so you could look at them in person, if there's a BB in your area.

Otherwise, the more information you can give us as to how you plan to use this, the better recommendations you'll get. :)

My budget is up to $1000. Indeed it does need a TV tuner built in. For sure I will be playing most FPS games on it. Now that you mention that the resolution might me low I'm wondering about TV tuners for a 2407WFP maybe.

The reason being I wanted it to have a TV tuner originally was because I wanted to et rid of my current TV to have more space in my room.

How much are good TV tuners?

It's usually cheaper to buy a VCR and use it as a Tuner as long as your Monitor has inputs to match it.

I assume you are talking SD. HDTV is an entirely different situation.

My budget is up to $1000. Indeed it does need a TV tuner built in. For sure I will be playing most FPS games on it. Now that you mention that the resolution might me low I'm wondering about TV tuners for a 2407WFP maybe.

The reason being I wanted it to have a TV tuner originally was because I wanted to et rid of my current TV to have more space in my room.

How much are good TV tuners?

Back