Need a comfortable open ear headset

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
I had this pair of plantronics years ago that was amazing. Open ear design, great audio quality and amazing comfort. They broke and plantroncis had stopped making them so I couldn't get another set. I don't even know what model number they were. The ear cups were lined with felt and were very soft. It had two head bands, the one that rested on your head had this cables that went into the cups so they sort of held it in place without applying any pressure to my head.

I got a great deal on a Logitech G35 headset and while the sound quality is great they are very uncomfortable. I can't wear them more than 30 minutes without getting a huge headache. Mainly due to the pressure the ear cups put on the sides of my head. I generally wear them when i'm grouped with people in a game but after the group I immediately take them off as I just can't take it any longer.

What I like to do is listen to game sounds through my desktop speakers. I like a headset that lets me listen to what's going on in the room and house around me as I have kids I need to be able to hear them. I generally use my headsets just for vent. I like to separate game and voice sounds as it's easier for me to hear people talking that way. I'm not opposed to using them for game sounds as well but they need to be open ear. And above all comfortable.

I don't want to spend more than $100. Need to have a USB connection.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't look like it has USB though....

You could always get a USB DAC and use any pair of headphones you want so you aren't so limited in choices. Much more expensive yes, but I was in a similar situation at one time and I hated my USB headphone choices. I got a USB mic to go with it of course.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah when it comes to USB you are SEVERLY limiting your choices. Also...why? Use your onboard audio or get a cheap USB DAC. There can't be any legit reason for USB only...using you speakers with the onboard? Get a splitter.

Do check out the Sony VFR-V1's...as open ear as headphones can get...most comfortable headphone EVER...seriously...they look odd but after 5 minutes I forget I have them on...and the best audio quality for under $600+...yeah they're $200 on eBay, but they've been compared to headphones costing 3x as much or more and smash them! Plus they costed like $500 when they came out I believe.

Anyways...just suggestions...but the Sonys are what you want...what you NEED!!! :-p

Yeah when it comes to USB you are SEVERLY limiting your choices. Also...why? Use your onboard audio or get a cheap USB DAC. There can't be any legit reason for USB only...using you speakers with the onboard? Get a splitter.

Do check out the Sony VFR-V1's...as open ear as headphones can get...most comfortable headphone EVER...seriously...they look odd but after 5 minutes I forget I have them on...and the best audio quality for under $600+...yeah they're $200 on eBay, but they've been compared to headphones costing 3x as much or more and smash them! Plus they costed like $500 when they came out I believe.

Anyways...just suggestions...but the Sonys are what you want...what you NEED!!! :-p

My desktop speakers are using the 3.5mm jack. If I mirror it by splitting it I just get the same sound in the headset that I do in my speakers. Which isn't what I want.
I also can't stuff a soundcard into this imac.

I want to be able to have the game sounds in the desktop speakers but voice in the headset. With an open air design I can hear everything and by separating the voice out I can better hear the people I play with.

I only wear a headset when I need to talk to people. After that it comes off. I don't like wearing them. So I don't want to spend very much money on this.

Last edited:
Other HPs no one has mentioned around the $100 is the Sennheiser HD555 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. Both are popular for gaming. Add a clip mic if needed.

EDIT: NEVERMIND DID NOT SEE THE USB THING.

Back