Need a laptop for collage, six choices, help!

Which laptop would you recommend?

• IBM t43: 14.1" 1400x1050; intel 1.86ghz; 512+512mb; 60gb; 4.7lbs, 1" thick; radion x300

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Acer Ferrari: 15.4" 1680x1050; turion 64; 1024mb; 100gb; 6.3lbs; radion x700

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Alienware m5500: 15.4" 1920x1200; intel 1.86ghz; 1024mb; 80gb sata; 6lbs, gforce 6600

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • HP DV1000: 14.0" 1280x760; intel 2.0ghz; 1024mb; 80gb sata; 5.37lbs; intel 900 graphics acceleartor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toshiba Portege: 14.1" 1400x1050; intel 2ghz; 512+512mb ddr2; 60gb; 4.38lbs; nvidia 6200

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Sony FS780: 15.4" 1280x800; intel 1.86ghz; 1024 ddr2; 120gb; 6.17lbs; gforce 6800

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Other in this bracket, please share!

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay guys, I have narrowed this down in my mind, but before I make a decision i would like to hear from you guys. these are all around the same price, that is not the issue. I am mainly going for a smaller, portable laptop that can still handle the occasional CS Source game, but still has a great battery life (2-4 hours). Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

choices are:
>IBM t43: 14.1" 1400x1050; intel 1.86ghz; 512+512mb; 60gb; 4.7lbs, 1" thick; radion x300
http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId=2072541

>Acer Ferrari: 15.4" 1680x1050; turion 64; 1024mb; 100gb; 6.3lbs; radion x700
http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm

>Alienware m5500: 15.4" 1920x1200; intel 1.86ghz; 1024mb; 80gb sata; 6lbs, gforce 6600
http://alienware.com/product_detail...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

>HP DV1000: 14.0" 1280x760; intel 2.0ghz; 1024mb; 80gb sata; 5.37lbs; intel 900 graphics accelerator
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...=computer_store

>Toshiba Portege: 14.1" 1400x1050; intel 2ghz; 512+512mb ddr2; 60gb; 4.38lbs; nvidia 6200
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c...67&ccid=1291021

>Sony FS780: 15.4" 1280x800; intel 1.86ghz; 1024 ddr2; 120gb; 6.17lbs; gforce 6800
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ame=specs&var2=

what do you all think? Thanks, Jacob

(This is a re-post of http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=977183 because the original thread is in the wrong section. If an admin sees this, please delete the original post)

I voted for the T43 as a kneejerk reaction. (also, your link is bad)

Then I noticed the Acer Ferrari.

Having owned both (well, T42 and T41...the T43 arrives today. I'm selling my Ferrari 4000 tonight.), the T43 is a great laptop and will suit your classroom needs throughout your stay there. However, I'd leave gaming to a second system.

The Acer Ferrari is powerful enough for Quake 4 now, and should hold up through your time at college just as well. However, the expansion choices aren't as good. I haven't found the optical bay battery for it. The T43 could give you up to 8 or 9 hours of battery life w/ the proper setup, but the Ferrari will get 3.5 hours at best.

Those 2 have my vote, it's just a matter of whether you want a laptop for work, or for play.

You're going to use a laptop to make a collage? When I was a kid, we just used scissors and a glue stick...

Well, I'd seriously look into the ASUS laptop line. If you get a barebones you can customize it as you see fit, and they're all equipped with awesome screens and keyboards. I've been working on IBM and Toshiba laptops for the past 5 years at work, and while they still make decent product, their build quality really doesn't impress me like it once did.

DamienThorn said:
Well, I'd seriously look into the ASUS laptop line. If you get a barebones you can customize it as you see fit, and they're all equipped with awesome screens and keyboards. I've been working on IBM and Toshiba laptops for the past 5 years at work, and while they still make decent product, their build quality really doesn't impress me like it once did.

I was not aware that Asus made laptops.

If anyone acutaly used one for a while: Are they any good? How is the battery life? Is it anywhere as small and thin as the IBM? And where do you get them?

It sounds like a cool option.

Thanks, Jacob

EDIT: Is this a good Asus laptop? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220064

DamienThorn said:

I was going to suggest ASUS as well, they have beautiful laptops. Check out www.notebookforums.com and www.notebookreviews.com. Both are great resources and you'll realize those Acers are crappy compared to an ASUS.

::edit::
Yes, the W3V is a very nice laptop from what I have read. Some minor issues, I think one might be fan noise, but again read those forms to find out more than you need to know about it.

theshadow27 said:
I was not aware that Asus made laptops.

If anyone acutaly used one for a while: Are they any good? How is the battery life? Is it anywhere as small and thin as the IBM? And where do you get them?

It sounds like a cool option.

Thanks, Jacob

EDIT: Is this a good Asus laptop? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220064

a buddy of mine is in the same market as you (for a new lappy for college) i currently own an Asus S5n ( i love it 9 hour batterylife!). He needs a little more beef than the S5n, i just ordered the W3 and loves it! I would definalty get the W3, you cant go wrong, and its sweet looking.

But on the defense of the others you were looking at, i would choose the Alienware just for the wow factor, and yes you are talking to a person that also owns an Alienware laptop.

Also if you are looking at Asus laptops might i reccomend www.starpcs.net (no i dont work for them, but i purchased my laptop through them) and i have a coupon for 3% off if you would like, its probibly a savings of $56 USD. So its worth it, and if you go through them you can config it how you want. (there customer service is steller!)

While I can't testify as to where you can get asus laptops in the US, since I purchased my ASUS lappy about a month ago I've stopped using my desktop pretty well. The laptop that I have is in my sig, though I had to install the memory, CPU, and HDD (I got a barebones). As for the one that you linked to, it looks good, and I've heard very few problems with it.

T43 for sure. you will love the full-size keyboard like the one you have for your desktop.

I got a brand new t43 for you link

:D

Alright, I have it narrowed down to (1) Sony (2) Asus (3) IBM

The Alienware is a bit to "showy" for me. I dont want this thing stolen! However, I believe that it would have the best performance.

The Acer is out of it due to all the problems that I have heard of them having. If someone has heard otherwise about the Ferrari in particular, I am all ears.

I have heard nothing about Asus before today, so I am putting Sony first.

I dislike the IBM for lack of graphics, so it is #3

Out of those three, what now? Should I just get a Sony and eat the blue tooth? Or should I gamble on an Asus? This is frustrating! Thanks for all your help guys.

since it is for college, I really recommend a light laptop with GREAT battery life. you don't wanna be stuck by an outlet forever with your arm tired from carrying that thing around ;)

Apple Powerbook. No question.

Go for the 12.1 for maximum portability.

Go for the 15 for better IQ and gaming

Get the 17 inch widescreen to make people drool.

4-5 hour battery life on just about all of them.

Pick up a copy of Office 2004 for MAC & you are all set.

You will NOT be disappointed.

Oh, all come with AirPort Extreme wireless, bluetooh, DVD burner (SuperDrive) and 5400RPM hard drives standard, along with a buttload of GOOD programs.

Linkage

I have this down to Sony Vs Asus Vs (maybe) Acer

Sony pros:
>Well know brand
>Great reliability
>Long battery life
>Docking station
>Lots of warranty options

Sony cons:
>No blue tooth
>Weird shape
>Low resolution screen
>Lack of decent video card

Asus pros:
>Blue tooth
>Cool design
>Built by Asus
>Long battery life
>Great video card

Asus cons:
>No tech support?
>Unknown long term reliability
>Relatively unheard of brand (among large retailers, anyway)

Acer pros:
>IT LOOKS LIKE A FERARRI!!!
>Powerful, capable, processor with x64 bit support
>Great graphics
>Carbon fiber!!11one1one!!1
>Blue tooth?
>Super cool

Acer cons:
>Poor reliability
>Lack of warranty
>Limited vendors
>Short battery life
>No docking station

This is getting harder and harder and harder. I will get to the bottom of this though.

Also, I checked out Fear and Quake 4. I want to play both on my new lappy. So video card +1gb ram is a must.

Oh and about this:
Scroatdog said:
You will NOT be disappointed.
Yes I will - Sorry, I only use real computers.

LaptopsSidebySide.jpg

LaptopsSidebySide-low.jpg

LaptopsSidebySide-top.jpg

Laptopsleft.jpg

Laptopright.jpg

FSvsWS.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

I tried to take pics and have it look like the LCD was off on the Ferrari (as it was turned on)...but even though I turned the screen off, the camera picked up enough of the image to make it show it....so ignore the screen on the Ferrari.

theshadow27 said:
Acer pros:
>IT LOOKS LIKE A FERARRI!!!
>Powerful, capable, processor with x64 bit support
>Great graphics
>Carbon fiber!!11one1one!!1
>Blue tooth?
>Super cool

Acer cons:
>Poor reliability
>Lack of warranty
>Limited vendors
>Short battery life
>No docking station

Ok...gotta deal with a few things.

1. Acer Ferrari is very reliable. Where have you heard otherwise? Other than a batch of screens that showed redness (that affected a few Asus laptops as well), they've been pretty damned good. The biggest gripe you'll typically hear is that the fan runs all the time...but it's not as loud as most make it out to be unless it's on full-blast.
2. There is a 3 year warranty available through them. I purchased it for my (now my friend's) Ferrari 4000.
3. Limited vendors? You mean online? The good vendors are there: Newegg, ZipZoomFly, etc. Circuit City is carrying Acers now as well. They've ODM'd for HP in the past...so while you may not have seen many with the Acer brand name, odds are you've seen their work.
4. 3.5 hours is pretty much par for most 6lb laptops. I've squeezed out a max of 4 hours out of the Acer Ferrari w/ the proper tools.
5. It has a docking station. It connects to the rear PCIe port.

Marduk said:
Ok...gotta deal with a few things.

1. Acer Ferrari is very reliable. Where have you heard otherwise? Other than a batch of screens that showed redness (that affected a few Asus laptops as well), they've been pretty damned good. The biggest gripe you'll typically hear is that the fan runs all the time...but it's not as loud as most make it out to be unless it's on full-blast.
2. There is a 3 year warranty available through them. I purchased it for my (now my friend's) Ferrari 4000.
3. Limited vendors? You mean online? The good vendors are there: Newegg, ZipZoomFly, etc. Circuit City is carrying Acers now as well. They've ODM'd for HP in the past...so while you may not have seen many with the Acer brand name, odds are you've seen their work.
4. 3.5 hours is pretty much par for most 6lb laptops. I've squeezed out a max of 4 hours out of the Acer Ferrari w/ the proper tools.
5. It has a docking station. It connects to the rear PCIe port.

Thanks for the pics mate! The Ferrari looks super cool - I'm glad it is working well for you.

If you don’t mind I have some questions:
? How is gaming on it, does it do a decent job of graphics, and how is the resolution?
? Where do you get the warranty? do you have to go to Circuit? is it available online?
? Where do you get the dock? Newegg? Ill have to go look some more.
? The Asus claims 4-5 hours of battery... is this just not true?
? Does it have blue tooth? I’m getting conflicting reports.

Thanks again. Jacob

theshadow27 said:
Thanks for the pics mate! The Ferrari looks super cool - I'm glad it is working well for you.

If you don’t mind I have some questions:
? How is gaming on it, does it do a decent job of graphics, and how is the resolution?
? Where do you get the warranty? do you have to go to Circuit? is it available online?
? Where do you get the dock? Newegg? Ill have to go look some more.
? The Asus claims 4-5 hours of battery... is this just not true?
? Does it have blue tooth? I’m getting conflicting reports.

Thanks again. Jacob

a. I played through Q4 at 1024x768 @ med quality and had virtually no problems (just one level gave me performance issues). MP is perfect.
b. HL2 played through at native resolution at either medium or high quality. I forget which.
c. Desert Combat played at 1024x768 high w/o any issues.
d. BF2 I forget, as I played it once...for 5 minutes.

2 & 3. You can buy all the accessories you need from Provantage.com. I bought a spare battery, spare AC Adapter, and 3 year warranty upgrade from there. Newegg had the warranty, but not the other parts. The Docking station, AC Adapter, and battery are the same as what the Travelmate 8104 uses.

4. Asus? not sure. the Acer Ferrari routinely got between 3 and 3.5 hours depending on how I used it.

5. It has bluetooth.

i still have to give a a thumbs up for the Asus, its probibly the best laptop you will ever purchase. In not a big Acer fan, I would love an IBM if i could afford it, Sony....mmm well im not to into over priced laptops (though i do own an Alienware! ahha).

If you want a good, reliable, sexy, cheap laptop go for an Asus, you will never regret it. Take for instance my laptop, an Asus S5n (ultraportable 2.8lbs), my uncle has a Toshiba "toughbook" i belive, it weighs about what 4lbs? Has the same specs as my S5n, but cost liek $2,600+ while mine was $1,200. Not to mention all the extras you get with Asus's. I got a carringcase, a laptop sleave, a wireless mouse, an LCD cleaning kit, included external optical drive, etc. Plus i have a 2 year international warrenty. The company i purchased my laptop through will warrenty it if i do not want to send it directly to Asus for reparis (but so far i have no had ONE problem).

Seriously check out www.notebookforums.com before you purchase anything, I have hte same name over there. They are a great forum with great reviews, they are not bias.

One last thing, good luck! I hope you get what you want. No matter what you pay for it, when you get it you should never think that man i cant believe i payed this much for this thing. Like i did when i got my alienware. Since i got my S5n the only thing i can say is "how did i ever live without this thing?"

Good luck!

T43 FTW!

best, most reliable notebooks money can buy. my T23 has been chugging for 5 years now, and i just bought a T40 off ebay for my Girlfriend. Reliability KEY in college, and great battery life is something you cannot live without. my T23 gets 5.5hrs with main and extended batt (ultrabay battery), the T40 gets 7! hours with the extended main 6600mah batt (only one unit).
Since i got my S5n the only thing i can say is "how did i ever live without this thing?"
ditto on my T23 ;) i dont go anywhere without the thing.

I think the Apple Powerbook will give you the largest choice of imaging programs for designing your collage.

(If you really meant college, then you should probably learn how to spell it, if you really want to go get edumacated.)

Empyrean said:
(If you really meant college, then you should probably learn how to spell it, if you really want to go get edumacated.)

It was a typo, I tried to edit it and it wont change the actual title that you click on. I suppose I fail at life? Sorry then.

It was a typo, I tried to edit it and it wont change the actual title that you click on. I suppose I fail at life? Sorry then.

'a' and 'e' are not neighbors, mwahahahaha.

Not life, just school.

I just thought it was humorous that it was 'college' you mispelled, which is an institution of higher education, and it is a simple word, like elementary school level.

I just couldn't help myself.

Get an Asus.

lithium726 said:
T43 FTW!

best, most reliable notebooks money can buy. my T23 has been chugging for 5 years now, and i just bought a T40 off ebay for my Girlfriend. Reliability KEY in college, and great battery life is something you cannot live without. my T23 gets 5.5hrs with main and extended batt (ultrabay battery), the T40 gets 7! hours with the extended main 6600mah batt (only one unit).
ditto on my T23 ;) i dont go anywhere without the thing.

haha i tried to sell my old Gateway Solo 2550 to some guy in the for sale forum because he wanted a laptop for $100. This this is a beast! Though it has the best keyboard i have ever used on it!

If i had the money i would get one of the IBM ultraportables. Its like the X1 or somthing like that, its only single spindled.... I dont remember....

lithium726 said:
T43 FTW!

I really wanted an IBM, but the lack of graphics kills me. I still may change my mind at the last minute, but for now it is Asus.

the x300 is an alright solution for low resolutions and settings, its about equal to a 9600. my buddy has an i9300 with the x300m, and he plays BF2 and world of warcrack without any problems at 1024x768

Wow, you are all over the place on your choices. First you need to decide what size you want, then go from there.

Other things you need to decide:

• Will you be using an external LCD? If so get something that supports DVI
    Will you want to use two external monitors? If so then you need something with DVI passthrough on the docking station, or built in DVI/VGA
    Is something like a real docking station important?
    Do you need firewire?
    Support: Do you need "onsite" or is mailing it in OK?

If you are getting an IBM go to thinkpadforums.com and view those threads, lots of good info. Suprisingly many consider the T42>T43 (T42 has longer battery life and is quieter, T43 is not much faster). Also check out the new "Z" series, new IBM 15.4" widescreen, available with X600 and best of all, a real genuine windows key.

Notice no dells on your list? There are some good dells such as the Lat D810, D610, Precision M70 (for 6800 based goodness in 15.4" formfactor) you might consider. For myself I own both a T43 and a M70, and surprisingly like the dell a lot beter. More solid, faster, better feeling keyboard faster graphics, and so on.

You know, I also have had many laptops and desktops. If you want to game, bring your big rig. Truthfully, for college, you can't beat a Powerbook. You really can't. I've always been a PC guy, and still have a few good systems (both laptop and desktop in my sig). I'm a senior in college, and have had my Powerbook for only a short time now. After using it, there really isn't any other way to go mobile. It helps that I really got a steal on the price from a woman on eBay, but it really is worth the money. Keep in mind that the newest Powerbook's have problems with the screen and horizontal lines. If I were you, and you need it for college (assuming that's next Sept.), I would wait until Apple releases the MacTel powerbooks, which have Intel processors. They will be 25% thinner than the current Powerbooks, be faster, and have better battery life. In addition, being that it's an Intel cpu, you will be able to boot either OS X or Windows, which is really sweet. That way, you'll have both operating systems on your laptop for whatever different needs you may have. The best of both worlds!

P.S. I do have to say, OS X is truly a work of art, and it really does work. If I could run OS X on a PC and still have widespread application support, as well as the ability to game, I would be in heaven :D We'll see how cool the new Intel Powerbooks are, rumored as early as January. After the Rev. A Yonah, they will supposedly be switching 6-7 months later to the Merom cpu, which will be dual core. I just wet my pants...

I have owned Macs before – I was the first to get the g4 when it came out and I got a power book as a Christmas present two years ago. MY dad is a fan, but I honestly can’t stand them. I have since ditched Apple, given the powerbook to my sister, built my own PC from scratch, and I am now looking for a real computer to use for college. I really don’t want another Mac: I know what they can do, and I still don’t want one. 99% of the world uses PC’s, and its like that for a reason. Thanks for the suggestion though. Jacob :eek:

Notice no dells on your list?

That is a good thing. My family bought 3 Dell laptops. 2 had hard-drives crash and need replaced. For my brother in college :D that was very detrimental.

Oh, and the 3rd didn't have the video card properly inserted which caused a lot of hassle initially, although it didn't cause any long term problems.

And dealing with Dell sucks, I needed to refund a purchase for them and they made it take over a month. Would've gone longer, but I got my bank involved. Then they had no problem. Dell doesn't respect its customers.

Don't buy from Dell.

using pricewatch I just built a asus a6u system using the mobile turion,1 gig ram,80 gig hard drive for about $900.
the freakin thing has everything except high end graffics.
if you must have geforce graffics chose an intel model.
the asus notebooks look like a million bucks compared to my buddies hp/dell/compaq plastic looking stuff.
cant beat the features either. :eek:

Another vote here for Asus. Great build quality, sexy design and great screens. Trust me- I've been reasearching laptops for a long, long time and I've seen every barebone and almost every ensemble (their super-fancy line) that asus has right now- and they're all amazing.

For the price, you absolutely can't got wrong with the z70va right now. 15" widescreen at a killer 1680 x 1050 resolution, and a 128meg x700 to boot. And it'll come in around 500-1000 dollar less than the competitor, depending on how you configure it. Amazing laptop- I couldn't believe the screen when I saw it- way better than I've ever seen on a laptop. And the battery's decent too- my girlfriend's getting 4 1/2 hours!

You need to know a little something about a barebones laptop though- they won't prepackage everything like a Toshiba or Sony- you've got to pick your parts and OS. For me, that's a big plus and a big money saver, since I already have the OS (which I could install and tweak to my liking) and I could ask for exactly the parts I want.

Sanitard said:
For the price, you absolutely can't got wrong with the z70va right now. 15" widescreen at a killer 1680 x 1050 resolution, and a 128meg x700 to boot. And it'll come in around 500-1000 dollar less than the competitor, depending on how you configure it. Amazing laptop- I couldn't believe the screen when I saw it- way better than I've ever seen on a laptop. And the battery's decent too- my girlfriend's getting 4 1/2 hours!
i cant find the Z70VA... Do you meen the Z71VA?

Back