Need a new ISP

boobstar

n00b
Well, ever since i've built a new PC, I've been getting the sense that my internet connection greatly holds me back by a few miles. I'm currently only using Verizon DSL @ 758kbps. I know, it's pretty sad. Not only that, it also disconnects everyphone call even though every phone jack that has a phone has a filter on it. But yeah. On to my main point.

Would anyone mind suggesting a good, fast, and reliable ISP in the US? or if need be more specific, in the NJ area? Nothing too fancy though, just a good and decent speed one. Maybe 800kb/s to 1mb/s downstream would be nice, if not even more.

Things to consider:
-Something that doesnt require a cable box (like comcast)
-FiOS isn't available at my area at the moment.
-Price ranging from $30 to $50 a month.

Thanks guys.

I've got insight, and it has great speeds and does NOT need a cable box. However, I have no idea if thats in the NJ area or not.

EDIT: my post is no help at all, as I found out that Insight is NOT in NJ. Im in KY and its here. Sorry.

I am in PA and use RCN and they have been great as just your standard pay and get reliable cable modem internet. They are fairly reasonable and have good introductory rates, give them a call and see if they can put together something you like.

IN NJ, you are only going to have 2 choices: a cable provider service (ie Comcast or Cablevision depending on area), and a phone based service DSL or FIOS.

Your price range works fine. You can check to see the FIOS install plan for your area.

Not sure what you meant by cable box. TV? Internet?

speakeasy.net Don't know if they are available there. I got
a self-install kit, plugged in the modem and filters, found by
accident the commandlines to go online in freebsd...
effortless ever since

The problem is not with your ISP. The problem is with your DSL provider's (may be same company as your ISP) equipment. Specifically, something is wrong with the filter setup. Give them a call and let them know you are getting disconnected on incoming phone call.

Also, if you using wireless, inplug power to your cordless phones and see if the problem persists. This will make sure its not a problem with your equipment.

Thanks for the input guys.
FiOS is currently still not available in NJ. (this was my first choice)
Comcast was my 2nd but it requires you to have their cable box which in terms would need to pay for the cable service too.

I did a bit of research and found Roadrunner/Time warner by accident and they seem to be on par with FiOS and Comcast's Speeds but im not really sure about the reliability.

it also disconnects everyphone call even though every phone jack that has a phone has a filter on it.
Either the filters are bad or you've missed something... That's all there is to it. Faxes would need a filter too, if you've got one.

Comcast was my 2nd but it requires you to have their cable box which in terms would need to pay for the cable service too.
It's more like you pay for their cable internet, and they give you basic cable for free... You don't have to use it. And you don't even need a cable box at your TV either, unless you do digital cable or something (in which case it's not the free version).

So if switch to comcast, I'd only have to pay the 29.99 a month for 6 months right?
I wont have to pay for the cabel for the tv right?

Thanks for the input guys.
FiOS is currently still not available in NJ. (this was my first choice)

I did a bit of research and found Roadrunner/Time warner by accident and they seem to be on par with FiOS and Comcast's Speeds but im not really sure about the reliability.

Road Runner is very reliable. I've probably lost service (in the middle of night BTW) maybe 4 times this year at most. Our modem died and they replaced it for free 2 months ago.(its technically their modem anyway). I live in Austin, TX. and TWC has a hybrid Fiber Optic/Coax network here. its Fiber to a neighborhood distribution box (or boxes), the coax to the houses.

I have nothing but praise for RR, They've been my ISP for 8 years. we also have thier phone and digital cable. years ago when they first offered digital phone we had some speed issues and phone issues. They had everything ironed out within a month or so. It was a new service at the time.

Currently, we have RR turbo, digital phone, and digital cable. I don't pay the bill so I don't know how much it is.

@omega
What's your current downstream/upstream?
And how much do you pay a month?
Oh and you don't have to get their phone right?

phone and cable tv are optional.

I belive its $60 a month since we have the RR turbo service. Its 22/2. The upstream really is crap, but since all i do most of the time is torrents and gaming, I'm fine with it. When I move out in a few months, I'm going to sign up with them myself. in 8 years our longest outtage was 4 days due to a lightning strike, and we had to wait for a technician. our connection at the pole had been fried. That was about a year and a half ago.

Dang, that's some stable connection I say!
How much does the regular RR cost?
And what's the DStream/UStream?

Road Runner is very reliable...

I have nothing but praise for RR...
Well, goody for you, but they pretty much suck here in SoCal. Lots of outages and slowdowns.

Unfortunately, if you want cable internet/tv, they are the only thing available in our area. :(

To the OP, just do what someone said and go to DSL Reports to see what's available where you are. Odds are you don't have a whole lot of choices.

Dang, that's some stable connection I say!
How much does the regular RR cost?
And what's the DStream/UStream?

Road Runner prices can vary by market location, and of course it would help immensely if you bundld your cable, inet, and phone together.

Currently I have the bundled package and pay about $145 a month in the Austin area.

I beleive my down / up is: 10mbps / 768kbps

I live in NJ and have Optimum Triple Play, tv, internet and phone with an HD cable box and standard def box plus the boost option and pay $115 a month.
That is ~200 channels then some of the HD channels are duplicate but about 50 HD channels, free long distance and 30Mb down / 5Mb up
I believe just internet alone is $40 without boost and without tv or phone.

Awwww shucks!
I was really gonna go with optimum online with the boost (30mb/5mb)
but when i entered my zipcode on their site, it said it was unavailable. :[
Zip is 07305
>.> I mean i live in the city, i dont get why FiOS or any other big companies
wont set up lines in here.

Back