Need a replacement for my old +1800

dagon11985

Gawd
I have an old socket A comp just sitting around collecting dust. I've been thinking of fixing it up, might give it to my little brothers or use it as a server for a Neverwinter Nights 2 mod I intend on making.

I'm looking at getting a sempron, or a 3200+ barton. Do semprons have an unlockable CPU multipler ? is the 3200+ barton worth the $ 183 dollar price tag, is it that much better than a sempron ?

( I know Athlon XP's do have an inflated price tag nowadays since they've been discontinued.. but, I still may get one that for price.. if it stomps the semprons )

Also, what AGP video card would you recommend for this sort of comp ? Its currently packing a Geforce II mx 400...which.. back in the day rocked.. but.. not with today's games

How much are you looking to spend? I don't know if you've looked around the forums, but there is currently a really killer deal on a 3100+ Sempron combo:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4705559

If you are going to spend more than $100, there is almost no point in further upgrading your system as it just forces you more into a dead-end.

If you were willing to swing a little more cash, you could pickup a S754 3000+ Venice and a decent 754 board for not much at all (at least, what you'd be spending on that horridly overpriced Barton). You'd also get far better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103606 $119 754 Venice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268 $69.25 Biostar T-force

You could also save some money by using the combo-deal available with that motherboard to get a decent Sempron (2800+, 3100+) and then use the extra money to buy a PCI-e 6600 perhaps.

The first combo deal is good because it's dirt cheap, it's bad because it kind of leads to another dead-end upgrade path: AGP. The Venice is considerably more powerful than your current processor and the Semprons. It also overclocks insanely well. You could get a great overclock with the venice on the t-force, I bet.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend, but you don't have to spend too much these days to get a decent system. Any half-decent processor and a good video card will keep the games running.

Just a thought, I bought a un-opened retail XP3000+ for $90 shipped here on the forums, Id put up a WTB and give it a shot, can't hurt. Good luck.

ep1taph said:
How much are you looking to spend? I don't know if you've looked around the forums, but there is currently a really killer deal on a 3100+ Sempron combo:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4705559

If you are going to spend more than $100, there is almost no point in further upgrading your system as it just forces you more into a dead-end.

If you were willing to swing a little more cash, you could pickup a S754 3000+ Venice and a decent 754 board for not much at all (at least, what you'd be spending on that horridly overpriced Barton). You'd also get far better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103606 $119 754 Venice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268 $69.25 Biostar T-force

You could also save some money by using the combo-deal available with that motherboard to get a decent Sempron (2800+, 3100+) and then use the extra money to buy a PCI-e 6600 perhaps.

The first combo deal is good because it's dirt cheap, it's bad because it kind of leads to another dead-end upgrade path: AGP. The Venice is considerably more powerful than your current processor and the Semprons. It also overclocks insanely well. You could get a great overclock with the venice on the t-force, I bet.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend, but you don't have to spend too much these days to get a decent system. Any half-decent processor and a good video card will keep the games running.

If you get that combo, it comes with an AGP slot, so the 6600 is out of the question for PCI-E... you can get it in the AGP version. Even if you get a 5500, but 6600's aren't too expensive these days.

The barton will beat the socket A sempron every single time, but that doesnt mean the barton is worth the money.

Me personally would buy the 3100+ sempron combo with the s754 board, it really is a great bargon which will be faster than almost any socket A system.

As for video cards, 6600 is great for pcie, but for agp I'd look around the fs forum for a 9800pro, I see them go for around $85 all the time.

noobtech said:
If you get that combo, it comes with an AGP slot, so the 6600 is out of the question for PCI-E... you can get it in the AGP version. Even if you get a 5500, but 6600's aren't too expensive these days.

Yeah my post wasn't too painfully organized, but the Biostar T-force 754 board comes with a combo deal on Semprons @ newegg. It's a PCI-e board.

You can find both 6600 AGP versions and PCI-e versions for <$100, and either combo with it would really benefit you more than dumping that much money into aging technology.

I wouldn't stick with socket A. The k8 sempys rape them. 1.8GHz k8 sempy = 2.2GHz AXP. Also, you can go 754 sempy and PCI-E board for around $120.

There's also another fly in the ointment: If your rig is as old as your original post leads us to believe, then there's a good chance that it might not be able to take a Socket A Sempron CPU.

The others have hit it on the nose; yes, a Barton would be nice, but it's overpriced, and there's simply no need to stick with the Socket A platform, when Socket 754 boards are available.

If you're really trying to conserve money, you can go with a Socket 754 board based on the GeForce 6100 chipset, which includes integrated video that will do a much better job than your old card did. Also, since it would have a PCI-e slot, you can upgrade much more easily in the future.

Mobile Socket 754 Semprons can be found on eBay for a pittance (50 bucks), and can overclock quite well.

Spend $80 and get a socket 754 sempron/mb combo, socket A just simply doesnt cut it anymore.

You are in the same boat that I am. I need to upgrade something fierce from what I have been I am debating on whether to put some money into this dying vehicle or not. More than likely I will do what I can to save and get a new 939 system going.

Back