Need advice configuring a system

Hello guys, Im trying to configure a P4 system for my parents, I will need the
Chip - P4
Motherboard - AGP (since I have an extra 6600Gt AGP Card) for them, onboard sound, lan
Ram - 1 Gig of ram, if possible OCZ brand - gotta love the lifetime warranty

P.S. I have an Antec Neopower 480 I will be using for this.

The budget $600...this is not for overclocking, it is for stability. Either Newegg or MonarchPC

Well if you know where you want to buy from, what you need, and what you have to spend, you'd probably be better off using NewEgg's great search tools to find a few combinations of items yourself that fit the bill and ask for opinions, instead of coming here and asking someone else to do all the hard work for you :)

RAM:
1GB (2x512) of Crucial, mushkin, or OCZ Value RAM

Mobos:
DFI 875P-T
ASUS P5P800
Abit AG8

CPU:
Any LGA775 CPU- 530J,540,550,630,640,650, etc...

Dillusion said:
RAM:

Mobos:
DFI 875P-T
ASUS P5P800
Abit AG8

CPU:

Are these boards AGP ?

All you gave for it is a price, would help to know what all it is going to be used for, if its just general use i.e. music/internet/email, why even ask us what you should get really, you want a p4, AGP mobo, and you have the video card as well you also want OCZ ram. You have your set up already, we cant click order for ya =p

EricNS said:
You have your set up already, we cant click order for ya =p

You can if you pay for it! :D :p

It's for my parents, just for email, web browsing, ipod use blah blah not really a gaming pc...but it could be... lol

here is what I came up with:

Abit IC7-G GB-LAN/SATA Dual DDR (i875 Canterwood)
Intel P4 478 Prescott 3.2 GHz 800 FSB 1M HT
DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) OCZ (OCZ4001024ELDC-K)

and they already have all the other stuff...BFG 6600GT AGP
...i suppose it can be a semi gaming machine on medium detail....the price is $542

Your chip maker doesnt really matter for that type of use, i would look at how much beef you need and then look at the prices for comparable processors, then go for the most price effective.

EricNS said:
Your chip maker doesnt really matter for that type of use, i would look at how much beef you need and then look at the prices for comparable processors, then go for the most price effective.

Ya I know but my pride wont let them order something crappy...I figure atleast with this setup, they have some sort of quality and speed.

screw Pentium 4, go with a Pentium M. I just replaced both of my P4 systems with one PM system and I've never liked a computer more than I like this one.

What socket is the pentium M?...I need an AGP board because of the spare video card I have...it pretty much looks like the 775's dont have agp boards?..or any good ones at least :confused:

LGA775 has perfectly good AGP boards:

ASUS p5P800
DFI 875P-T
Abit AS8

TheMadHatterXxX said:
You can if you pay for it! :D :p

It's for my parents, just for email, web browsing, ipod use blah blah not really a gaming pc...but it could be... lol

here is what I came up with:

Abit IC7-G GB-LAN/SATA Dual DDR (i875 Canterwood)
Intel P4 478 Prescott 3.2 GHz 800 FSB 1M HT
DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) OCZ (OCZ4001024ELDC-K)

and they already have all the other stuff...BFG 6600GT AGP
...i suppose it can be a semi gaming machine on medium detail....the price is $542

I'd go Northwood with that board, I currently own one and find it hard to replace. Not only the Processor but the Motherboard will also run cooler with as well. Not crazy about Sc-478 Prescotts at all.

Lesser PQI 1GB PC-4000 or Standard Muskin PC-3200 will do as well. You can't tell the difference between it and other high end RAM if you're NOT overclocking. Even Corsair Value RAM might be all you need when not overclocking.

Donnie

TheMadHatterXxX said:
What socket is the pentium M?...I need an AGP board because of the spare video card I have...it pretty much looks like the 775's dont have agp boards?..or any good ones at least :confused:

Pentium M is S479. Newegg sells an AOpen barebones that will work great with a 1.7Ghz Pentium M(about the same as a P4 3.0), with AGP and everything you'll need. Its what I used. Its just so energy effecient and silent I have to recommend it after owning nuclear hot P4's. They're pretty rare and almost no one uses them in desktops but they can't be beat and when the dual core ones come out with PCI-E and SATA next year I'll be getting one of them. Low heat, low noise, low power bill, 2.7GFLOPS @ 1.7Ghz/21W.

Dillusion said:

Mobos:
DFI 875P-T
ASUS P5P800
Abit AG8

CPU:
TheMadHatterXxX said:
Are these boards AGP ?
Not the AG8... I have one, and it's PCI-E.

Back