Need Advice on 16x12 LCD

Russ

[H]ard|Gawd
Edit: Ok, let's make this easier for you to reply. Poll time! Choices are A, B, C, and D.
A: Samsung 204T
B: ViewSonic VP2000S
C: Sceptre X20G-Naga II
D: Other (please specify)
Please vote at least!

I'm going to purchase a 1600x1200 LCD soon, and I need advice on which one I should get. It will be used for gaming. I don't do photo editing or any of that other stuff. And I don't play fps's that much that I think I need lower than a 16ms response time.

I want it to be cheap, and I'm fine with 16 ms response time.

the two ones that I am mainly debating are the

Samsung 204T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001193
$550

ViewSonic VP2000S
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116367
$560 - $50 MIR

The main differences that I see are in three areas:
Samsung 204T
Viewing Angle 178°/178°
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1

ViewSonic VP2000S
Viewing Angle 176°(H) / 176°(V)
Brightness 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 400:1

Now, these are both pretty expensive imho, so I was also looking at Sceptre (which one of my friends is planning on buying soon):

Sceptre X20G-Naga II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112158
$490
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 170°(V)
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1

The only problem is that a lot of people say that this monitor doesn't actually have a 16ms response time, that in reality it seems higher. There also seem to be a lot of problems with getting a good working monitor.

-------

Which would you guys recommend? Are there any others that are cheaper?

And I REALLY don't want to spend more than the 204T. It seems like a real quality monitor, spending more doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks!

I bought the 204T last night from BB. What a differece over my Dell 2001FP. The Dell was garbage with back light issues and my blacks looked milky, going on the UPS truck today. I called Dell to return since I only had it for a couple of days and told them that it was defective, do you believe the idiot on the phone said I had to pay for shipping! You can find the 204T cheaper at ZipZoom but if you want to return it they charge for shipping back and 15% restocking fee. Here I can just go to any BB and drop it off. The only thing I will miss from the Dell will be the USB ports. The Dell stand is alo cheaper looking.

I recommend the 2001fp. I completely disagree with the above post, I have seen the Dell next to that Samsung, and while the Samsung might have slightly better blacks, the Dell has better color, a much more solid build quality, and is overall a dream of a screen.

Then again, I'm lucky, I got one with no backlighting issues.

D) other BenQ Fp2091 or Dell FP2001, I have both, except the Dell came with some dead pixels where as the benQ didnt :S

edit: also I lent my friend th 2001fp while i wasnt using it, he claimed to have backlight issues and washy blacks, I havnt had it next to the benQ do decide(both have same panel) But I Generaly like the BenQ more

the only problem with the 2001FP is that it is quite expensive on Dell.com now. Where can I get it cheap?

And I'll look into that BenQ thanks!

Yea, I meant to look on ZZF for prices too, but forgot about it when I was making this thread. the prices I used include shipping btw.

Russ said:
the only problem with the 2001FP is that it is quite expensive on Dell.com now. Where can I get it cheap?

And I'll look into that BenQ thanks!

Yea, I meant to look on ZZF for prices too, but forgot about it when I was making this thread. the prices I used include shipping btw.

eBay for under $500

NulloModo said:
eBay for under $500

would rather not use ebay as I'm not 18 and therefore have no credit card, just a debit. And if I used ebay then I wouldn't feel safe unless I was using an empty checking account that was only filled with enough money to buy one thing at a time. That's too much work for me.

-----

ZZF didn't have cheaper than $550 for the 204T It was the same price infact (because newegg has free shipping on it right now as zzf does).

The BenQ was greater than $550 except for a place called "uBid" in an auction that's now closed.

2001FP is $750

There's a deal on the 2005FPW for 35% off, bringing it quite low. However, that would be less than 1600x1200 and a weird res, so I don't think I want that.

I think I'm gonna say screw the $40 (in MIR) and buy the 204T. the quality on it seems to be superb, and that's a very big plus.

edit: and any money that Dell doesn't get is well spent imho.

Back