Need advice on audio setup for work please

xeddex

Limp Gawd
So I've left the land of cubicles and I've got an office now and that means I don't have to wear headphones if I don't want to.

What I'm looking for is a setup that will be used only for playing music and only as loud as normal conversation; never any louder. I'll drive it with a line out from my iPod (not headphone jack). I'm looking for decent sound at low volume so something that only shows it's colors once it's cranked a little isn't going to do me any good. Also because this is for music only I want 2.0 and not 2.1.

I don't want something that sounds like a tin can or has nothing but honky mids. Just something that sounds decent at low volume that doesn't cost a fortune.

thanks.

EDIT: $$$ is in the eye of the beholder so let me qualify that and say "I would like to stay under $150".

Last edited:
Just because you have an office doesn't give you the right to play music that others have to hear.

he posted that he will listen at low volumes. so i don't think he plans on blasting his music at the co-workers.

i second the recommendation to up the budget a bit.
a pair of powered monitors will offer you decent sound at low volumes.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powered+monitors&x=0&y=0"]amazon link[/ame]

Just because you have an office doesn't give you the right to play music that others have to hear.

Good lord. 1st you don't know what kind of office I work in so you really have no basis for that statement. Maybe I work in an office where it is normal (and even expected) for those with an office to play music. Either way I clearly stated in my post that I was interested in a setup that worked well at low conversational volumes. If you have nothing to offer then keep your own office issues to yourself please.

Good lord. 1st you don't know what kind of office I work in so you really have no basis for that statement. Maybe I work in an office where it is normal (and even expected) for those with an office to play music. Either way I clearly stated in my post that I was interested in a setup that worked well at low conversational volumes. If you have nothing to offer then keep your own office issues to yourself please.

How dare you!

lol

Really though, reading comprehension failure batman.

You do want some powered monitors for desktop. For $150 there are some Swans that will do. Check outr audioinsider for those. They are nicer looking than any other speaker in this price range.

Last edited:
creative T40.

THIS.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technolgy/dp/B001S14DYO"]Amazon.com: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with BasXPort Technolgy: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nXUAdlomL.@@AMEPARAM@@41nXUAdlomL[/ame]

If you are on a budget, the refurb t20 series ii's are $50.

The Swans are magnificent for standard PC use. Also check out some used or cheaper studio monitors.

Back