Need advice on choosing headphones.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to spend at most $120.

I am currently using Logitech G35 and plan to buy a Xonar DG and want a good pair of headphones to go with.

For what? Gaming, the ATH-AD700s are a good all around choice, but it really depends on you intended use.

If the Audio Technicas seem like something you might like (and they're a good recommendation) it might be worth waiting on AT's updated lineup. Most model numbers will be almost the same, but with an X added to denote the updated models.

That said, do you want open or sealed? Open typically are slightly better sound quality (better soundstage, etc) but sealed obviously give you the advantage of hearing more of what you're listening to and less of whatever else is in the room, and bass is usually stronger in sealed cans at the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Yeah, that seems to be what I'll get. But would that plus the xonar dg be a very noticeable step up in quality compared to my G35s?

Yeah, that seems to be what I'll get. But would that plus the xonar dg be a very noticeable step up in quality compared to my G35s?

I went with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's and the Xonar DG awhile back. And I have to say, they sound great. The Xonar DG is cheap and has a built in headphone AMP

AD700's are good, I'd recommend Grado SR60/80 to see if you like them...not the boomiest for gaming, but great for metal/rock music.

I'll probably get some flak for this suggestion, but for a reasonable price I think the Sony MDR-V6's sound good. These have been around for a good number of years, and there is a reason for that IMO. I picked mine up at the egg for $65 shipped.

There's nothing wrong with that pair of Sony's. I'm not sure they're the best in the price range anymore, but that doesn't make them bad. They're still great headphones.

Not going to get a whole lot of improvement over what you have in that price range.

If you want something more musical, there are a bunch of good cans out there.

The AD700 is tired, bass light and yeah. Spaceman be sick of it.

Go to the headfi fs section and score a pair of Fischer Audio FA-003 like these

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587503/fischer-audio-fa-003

Just picked up a pair of Samson SR 850. I was worried that the under $60 price tag would equal to bad sound. Not so! I am not an audiophile (yet) but they sound way better then my old logitech headphones with a mic.

So far sound good on Rap, Alternative, R&B, Pop, musicals. Gaming but only tried witcher 2 so far.

Just picked up a pair of Samson SR 850. I was worried that the under $60 price tag would equal to bad sound. Not so! I am not an audiophile (yet) but they sound way better then my old logitech headphones with a mic.

So far sound good on Rap, Alternative, R&B, Pop, musicals. Gaming but only tried witcher 2 so far.

Yup. This really is the headphone to try first. See if it is good enough and hopefully STOP RIGHT THERE!!

B/c the slope is slippery en route to headphone nerdvana. Trust the spaced one on this subject.

SR850 is great. Take off the felt pads covering the drivers and fix the pads for optimal sound and comfort.

Back