Need advice on cooling/OC i7

xeon

n00b
OK, so I'm building a new rig. I've never actually setup my own processor with thermal paste and heatsink before (I won't digress as to why), so I could use some general noob-friendly advice:

My rig:
Core i7 920
Asus P6T
(2) EVGA NVidia GTX 275 in SLI
Corsair 6GB RAM
Antec Nine Hundred Two
Corsair TX 850

What do I need to do hardware-wise to OC my i7? Is the "TRUE" the best heatsink? If not, what is? Is there a particular variation/revision I should choose? Any tips on where to buy it? What fan should I get for it?

I am sure I can google "how to apply thermal paste" to find a decent guide but if anyone knows a good one off the top of their head please let me know.

Is thermal paste difficult to remove? I am considering just running it stock with the included heatsink and fan but will that cause problems later with trying to put on better paste?

Thank you.

Allright, well for thermap paste you want to get Arctic Silver 5, thats the best stuff for the best temps.

As for Heatsinks, these are critical to a good OC. personally I use this one, it is very easy to install for a heatsink and works absolutely great.

Arctic Silver 5. -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

HSF - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

Applying the thermal paste is very easy, it's just one little small line of it down middle of CPU, lots of diagrams in internet.
If I find a good guide i'll post it here.

But with that HSF, I am running my I7 920 at 4.0 Ghz on only 1.35 voltage, and temps are at around 45 full load.

Is thermal paste difficult to remove? I am considering just running it stock with the included heatsink and fan but will that cause problems later with trying to put on better paste?

Welcome to the forum !

Will leave the rest for the air cooling experts. It is pretty simple to remove, the stock Intel stuff is more of a goo than a paste but a scraping with a credit card and some alcohol and a coffee filter (no lint) will remove it with minimal effort. So go ahead and fire it up. The push pin mounting sometimes take a little effort to seat properly. I use the "thumb over thumb" method and push like hell. They should already be in the install position. Double check that but it will be obvious if one will not secure. Easy to remove the stock heatsink by turning the installed push pins 90 deg with a screwdriver. Intel has a video if you have not messed with push pins before. Pretty easy, dont overthink it. It should be solid as a rock when installed.

As far as an application guide I suggest looking on the manuf web site of whatever brand you use and also look at the sticky at the top of this forum. That review was just done and has details of application if memory serves.

Allright, well for thermap paste you want to get Arctic Silver 5, thats the best stuff for the best temps.

As for Heatsinks, these are critical to a good OC. personally I use this one, it is very easy to install for a heatsink and works absolutely great.

Arctic Silver 5. -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

HSF - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

Applying the thermal paste is very easy, it's just one little small line of it down middle of CPU, lots of diagrams in internet.
If I find a good guide i'll post it here.

But with that HSF, I am running my I7 920 at 4.0 Ghz on only 1.35 voltage, and temps are at around 45 full load.

Apparently I need to get a different HSF - My N520 ran my i7 at about that voltage at 4.0ghz and I was getting load temps of 72C. In a HAF 932.

Just read all the reviews on newegg, seems the average user is split 50/50. Half of them load around 65-70, the other half load around 50-55. hmm... :) I'm sure ambient temps make a pretty huge difference, as well as the case and airflow, but those are some big differences.

Last edited:
AS5 isn't really the performance king anymore. MX2 and some others appear to be the TIMs of choice now. AS5 is slightly capacitive and can cause shorts if some gets out onto leads. Also, there's usually only a few degrees difference between the very best stuff and the cheap Radio Shack stuff. If you're buying some, might as well get the good stuff, but I wouldn't hold off on a build if I couldn't get the fancy stuff.

I find 45°C at full load for a 1.35v 4.0GHz i7 hard to believe. I have my i7 at stock speeds and voltage (~1.26v) in a CM RC-690 case with half a dozen 120mm Yate Loons and a Xigmatek S1283V (usually almost as good as the Noctua and TRUE for a much lower price) and I'm at ~55°C with dnetc loading it up.

This could be due to the temp monitoring app. Apps like CoreTemp will show the actual temps of the cores, while some apps will just show the much lower generic "CPU Temp". For example, HWMon currently shows my cores at 56/51/56/52, while the CPU is listed at 43.

i7Temps2.png

Here's a good guide re: methods to spread thermal paste (I used the two line method) http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38

My build; i7 920 D0, Intel Dx58so, 3x2gb DDR3 1366, Cogage True Spirit (using AS5) with Thermalright bolt through kit, 8800gt, Antec 182SE, Corsair HX620, WD Caviar Black 500GB (single disk), Sony DVD RW DRU-V200S, LG GGC-H20L

Temperatures measured by CPUID CoreO Min 41C, Max 63C which is the hottest core (after playing COD4 for 1/2 hour), Minimum power 25.91W, max power 150.93W, Ambient temp in room is about 29C,

Back