Need advice on new heatsink

jimbiss

n00b
What would be a better heatsink than the AMD stock 4 tube heatpipe with stock fan? I have an X2 3800+ running at 2.4Ghz and am looking to upgrade heatsinks. How about the Thermalright Ultra 90? I would like something that would still use the stock mounting system also.

Thanks

I'd honestly go with the Scythe ninja HSF if I were you. It's incredibly cheap and does an amazing job. That and the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED (which is overpriced).

i got a zalman cnps9500 led on my x2 4400+ .. if the room is cooled usually i'm looking at 30-33*C (idle) .. load is usually 36-38*C .. if the rooms hot which it usually is i'm looking at 40-42*C (idle) .. load is usually 45-47*C .. i'm loving it :)

Arcygenical said:
I'd honestly go with the Scythe ninja HSF if I were you. It's incredibly cheap and does an amazing job. That and the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED (which is overpriced).

I agree. The Ninja and 9500 are about on par in terms of performance, but given that you can trade out the Ninja fan for any 120 you've got (higher cfm, or lower dba) as well as it's lower price, it's the better option.

Don't even bother considering the Ultra 90, as it's been eclipsed by almost everything on the market, including the stock Opteron165/4200+ heatsink.

i'd pick the zalman 9500, i used to have it on my opty 165 @2.5 w/ 1.4volts and it idles at 37C before i went to watercooling. the problem w/ the ninja is= it's too big and it doesnt fit on some cases, other than that the ninja is also great.

Back