need advice on the biggest and baddest

Light1984

Gawd
alright, heres the skinny. right now im running a 2 year old rig and a viewsonic 19". its a beautiful monitor but i think im ready to get into lcd. i plan on building a new computer based around socket m2, so sometime between december to february. now i could go ahead and get an lcd monitor now, unless you guys know of something better that will be out in that 3 month time frame. if nothing is expected, is the 2405 the baddest there is, and how bout the samsung 244t that someone mentioned in another thread. seems like that will be a little more exp, but i think i will spend up to 1500 on this monitor. so the 244t would be within budget. so is there something better coming out in a couple of months, if not, whats the absolute best to get right now. oh, and it will be used primarily for gaming... thx for your help

Light1984 said:
alright, heres the skinny. right now im running a 2 year old rig and a viewsonic 19". its a beautiful monitor but i think im ready to get into lcd. i plan on building a new computer based around socket m2, so sometime between december to february. now i could go ahead and get an lcd monitor now, unless you guys know of something better that will be out in that 3 month time frame. if nothing is expected, is the 2405 the baddest there is, and how bout the samsung 244t that someone mentioned in another thread. seems like that will be a little more exp, but i think i will spend up to 1500 on this monitor. so the 244t would be within budget. so is there something better coming out in a couple of months, if not, whats the absolute best to get right now. oh, and it will be used primarily for gaming... thx for your help
Just get the 2405FPW. It's $744, and if you really wanted to spend $1500 on a monitor, you can get two of them :)

does the 244t really out perform the 2405? is it worth the extra money, double the money....??

Light1984 said:
does the 244t really out perform the 2405? is it worth the extra money, double the money....??
The 244T was just released, so how would we know if it out performs the 2405FPW? I don't know too much about it. The Dell 2405FPW uses a Samsung LCD display if that means anything to you.

well, in the articles ive read about the 244t, it says it has this technology, and that technology, bla bla bla.... so, i guess the question would be if anyone knows anything about the improvements built into the 244t, are they really performance improvements or just marketing gimmicks. and as far as panels go too, i think i read somewhere that sips panels were the ones to get in your lcd, can anyone enlighten me on that matter... does the dell use a sips?

biggest and baddest would be a 30in apple cinema display.. and SLI 7800GTX (or if anything better comes out in the time frame u stated) should do it's justice

1500 is budget, i dont think the apple cinema can be had for that, or am i mistaken?

jfish said:

i thought about that, but as i mostly game, i dont really have much use for two displays. im diggin the 244t, seems everyone is raving about it in the other post... anyone know where i might pick one up, i cant find any online yet.

Light1984 said:
i thought about that, but as i mostly game, i dont really have much use for two displays. im diggin the 244t, seems everyone is raving about it in the other post... anyone know where i might pick one up, i cant find any online yet.
Why do you want to pay twice as much for a display that is pretty much the same thing as the 2405FPW?

well thats my question, does samsung just have really good marketing, or is all this stuff the brag about in the artice for the 244T real worth the extra money, and then if you guys suggest going with teh 2045, whats dells dead pixel policy, if i have one dead pixel if i get it, do i just tell dell i have 10 or whatever and keep trying till i get a perfect one?

If you want the baddest, then the Apple 30" has dropped price to $2499 from $3000. Get 2 of them w/ a robotic arm to swing around your desk.

Happy Hopping said:
If you want the baddest, then the Apple 30" has dropped price to $2499 from $3000. Get 2 of them w/ a robotic arm to swing around your desk.

biggest and baddest for under 1500... read OP, but thx for advice, if i win the lotto next week, ill get a couple and send them to everyone in this thread...

hey, but i just checked the apple site, and they have a 23 inch for 1200... how does that compare to the 2405? are the apples superior?

Light1984 said:
hey, but i just checked the apple site, and they have a 23 inch for 1200... how does that compare to the 2405? are the apples superior?

No, why would you get that? Aside from it costing like $700 more than the Dell? Dell has a better warranty and more functions/features than the Apple. The Apple only has a DVI port and a logo of an Apple on the front.

so the dell is where its at huh guys? nothing in the near future (3-4 months) that may dethrone it?

I just ordered a 2405FPW for my computer at work. Hopefully its as good as everyone says.

They had a sale not long ago for the Westinghouse 37" ~$1400 though prices now are closer to 1600-2000. If you're lucky you might find one for your price. If I didn't already own the 2405fpw I would pick one up in a heatbeat.

Volkum said:
1280x720 < 1920x1200

I absolutely love my 2405FPW...zero issues with it. I'm not sure how the Samsung could be better...

2x 27inch 8 ms responce > 2x 24 widescreen 12ms responce

soulsaver

soulsaver_8229 said:

soulsaver
The average person won't notice a difference.

soulsaver_8229 said:

soulsaver

It's not exactly noticable at that point (response time). I haven't played anything under 1024x768 since like 1997 or something lol.

2405fpw for ~$800, save the rest of your money for a better vid card or other new hardware... :D

Get that Sony FW900... since your a gamer... You'll love it. If you play High FPS games you will feel the difference between CRT and LCD. LCD has slight delays. Some feel it, some don't. I felt a difference from 19inCRT to Dell 2005fpw LCD. Save your money for M2...But if you really want an LCD wait for Dell to come out with a new LCD that has some technology that will be compatible with Vista, or get the Samsung for all your budjet.

peacetilence said:
They had a sale not long ago for the Westinghouse 37" ~$1400 though prices now are closer to 1600-2000. If you're lucky you might find one for your price. If I didn't already own the 2405fpw I would pick one up in a heatbeat.

I second that. 37" 1080p is as big and bad ass as it can get!

VoBoy said:
Get that Sony FW900... since your a gamer... You'll love it. If you play High FPS games you will feel the difference between CRT and LCD. LCD has slight delays. Some feel it, some don't. I felt a difference from 19inCRT to Dell 2005fpw LCD. Save your money for M2...But if you really want an LCD wait for Dell to come out with a new LCD that has some technology that will be compatible with Vista, or get the Samsung for all your budjet.

thx man, i think imma keep saving and see what prices are at when i am actually ready to upgrade my rig too...

setupmonitor.jpg

ftw.

Is that really the projector TV on your sig? If so, how deep is it from the screen to the rear? Can you provide a pic?

Happy Hopping said:
Is that really the projector TV on your sig? If so, how deep is it from the screen to the rear? Can you provide a pic?

its an LCD tv.. im pretty sure its flat?

Happy Hopping said:

That's the 37" Westing house LCD.

The Sony 42" LCD Rear projection TV is about 20" deep. Not like your old projection TVs! ;)

Also the 42" Sony has horrible blacks compared to this thing. Sony is still a great TV to watch Family Guy and War History videos. ( Oh and Survivor Man on the Outdoor Life Network! )

Oh shxt, I just realized, I'm a nerd. :(

What kind of power do you need to run games on monitors like these? From what I gather FEAR is pretty much out at native resolution on the 2405 unless you have 2 GTX 512 FX60 blah blagh blah....or am I (hopefully) just dead wrong?

Do these monster monitors scale down resolution well or at all?

I would love a 2405 but is there a point for gaming until the next generation cpu/gpu's?

Thanks.

FX-57, 7800GTX 512, 2 gig hyperx 3700

dipsetrenegade said:
get the 2405.
close thread.

Not everyone likes the looks of the Dell though.
I know that the screen quality and size is more important but the case and stand have to look pretty good too.
And I personally don't like the look of the dell.

I kinda think the westinghouse 37 " is better then the dell 2405. Because it's bigger and not as ugly.
But again this is just my opinion and I don't own either. :(

I also think the samsung 244T is a waay better display in terms of looks, compared to the 2405.
Actually, it's probably alittle better in quality too but it is definitely not worth twice the amount as the competition.

Back