need all in wonder type card or solution

RAA-Kr1cH

Limp Gawd
Trying to locate an x1900 for sale isn't boding well. If I get a regular gfx card, and then a tv tuner card will that esentially get me the same hardware? I have a customer that wants the all in wonder, but it doesn't appear ATI makes them any more, so just trying to find a solution.

I've always thought having a seperate tuner was better, you didnt have to deal with ATI's multimedia interface, and when you wanted to upgrade your video card you didnt have to pay a second time for a tv tuner.

I think i've heard good things about the ATI TV Wonder 650 Series. But a better place to ask would be the home theater pc forum here.

What software do they plan on using it with? Media center? or the software package that comes with each card? HDTV Over the air tuning (ATSC) or NTSC ?

I use a dvico fusion 5 gold for atsc tuning myself. Compatibly with media center under vista home premium as well.

if it were a customer of mine I would do anything to convince them out of it, especially if I had to deal with support. there's no real benefit to it unless it's a last resort for something like a micro htpc with limited slots. performance, value, software, and support is piss poor from every angle if you were to compare it to standalone gpu and tuner solutions. especially the software it's friggin horrible, just check out the ati forums and you'll see what I mean, they've been spewing out version after bloated version with the same old bugs. I've worked with these cards in all those sitautions and I actually still own an ati tuner in one of my boxes, but I've switched to winamp and mpc for tuner output on that one a long time ago. there are much better tuners out there like whats been mentioned above, and pretty much any hauppauge card.

Having owned the last AIW made, X1900 AIW that I sold recently, I wouldn't recommend it this late in the game. Warranty has ran out on any one that sold, does not support HDCP, no HD tuner, and there is better HD acceleration (reduction in CPU) in recent models (Ati 2X00 and Nvidia 8500-8600).
I would recommend the seperate GPU and TV tuner especially if this were for someone else unless they were limited on slots.

So ATI esentially took a fgx card and slapped a tv tuner card onto it?

What would be the best combination of cards? I heard the HD2600xt and 8600 do well, any reason why I should pick one over the other?

bump. I remember reading something about the 2600xt and the 8600gts being able to render video better or some such thing. Could I get a link to something that would explain to me why, or what's in them that makes them render video better or whatever.

So ATI esentially took a fgx card and slapped a tv tuner card onto it?
More like they took a mediocre tuner and slapped it on a decent card. The tuner package used on the AIWs is/was considered ancient by pretty much anyone but ATI (they used the old Theater 200 chip which has been surpassed by their own Theater 550 and now the Theater 650). Not to mention that the AIW cards don't support HDCP.
What would be the best combination of cards? I heard the HD2600xt and 8600 do well, any reason why I should pick one over the other?
A 650 based tuner (check Newegg, you can get one from Sapphire for under $70) and either a 2600/8600 series card. You want one of these cards cause they do hardware acceleration for H264 and VC-1 content which is important if you want to watch HD DVD/Blue ray movies.

Back