Need Amd processor help

NHT

Limp Gawd
Hello all. I currently have a p4 3.4 prescott that I am fairly please with, but like all of you here, I have an itch to get more performance for gaming(Cs:S). Ive heard that Amd is the best for gaming. My budget is around $500 for both processor and mobo. What would be a considerable upgrade given my budget that would yield better gaming performance?

Im currently running a 6800 ultra agp that I also want to switch to a pci-e 7800 gtx with 2 gb OCZ platinum ddr400. Please recommend me a good processor and mobo that would suit my needs. thanks for any help.

Asus p4p800se
3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott
BFG 6800 Ultra
2x1 gb OCZ Platinum ddr400 pc 3200
100 Gb Western Digital
160 Gb Maxtor
Creative xfi
500 Watts PSU
Windows Xp Professional sp2

With $500 dollars for just the cpu and mobo I would go for a Ultra-d or SLi'd depending on wether you are lookign to sli in the future and match that with a 4200+ or opty 165 depending on the combo. If you feel you can do the sli mod which is easy go for that over the sli-d.

could you please be more specific? I know nothing of amd processors so youre gonna have to take it slow. What processor are you talking about and what brand mobo?

If your really only doing gaming a single core will save you money and possibly perform better. If you are proficient at overclocking, or want to try it, the 3700+ series overclocks very well and is pretty cheap, plus it has 1mb of level2 cache. If you do any multitasking or distributed computing you might want to go with a dual core, but I'll let someone else make a suggestion there. I second the DFI Lanparty series mobo, which model though is up to you and which features you want. To play CS:S one 7800gtx is fine, so i'd save the money and not get the SLI board unless you plan to do an SLI setup in the future. Almost all games are graphics card limited, not cpu limited, so I wouldnt go overboard on the processor and blow a bunch of money if your just playing games.

After readingthe above post sli si not really needed at all here and if you had to I'm sure you could do the upgrade. I would choose a dfi Ultra-d and a 4200+ X2. The reason I say DC is becasue wit nv's latest drivers it does help performance out and if you run any background apps at all it will get loaded onto the second core.

I was thinking about getting the Asus A8N-e as a mobo. Is the Dfi really that much better?

I have the DFI Ultra-D and its really a great board :D Of course, its all personal preference, if you do moderate to seriouse overclocking, this is definately your board, but if you just want it to run, then the one you posted should be fine.

So you can spen $500 on JUST a mobo and CPU, or do you need some other things (CPU COOLER!)

the A8N-e is fine for minimal to no oc as MDsarcasm mentioned. I seem to recall it having lots of problems scaling htt. And yes the dfi is a much better oc'er.

DFI Ultra-D, Opty 165 and a nice cooler like the Scythe Ninja or Arctic Cooling Freezer64.

Back