Need an inexpensive PSU

Sungaisu

Limp Gawd
Buddy of mine is doing a small upgrade and is going to get a 2.8GHz dual core, 2GB Ram (800mhz), and power a meager 8600GT 256mb video card. He has a tiny 17" LCD monitor too, and likes to keep it at 1280x1024 from what I remember.

He wants cheap, and I don't think he needs to go above 500w for this setup, but I'm not an expert on PSUs.

What do you guys recommend? Would this one be a wise decision? From my point of view, you get what you pay for, which would mean this would be shit.

What other alternatives are there for him?

Yep, that one is crap. $40 - $50 is the cheapest you can go and expect to get a PS that is rated for 350 - 400w and will last more than a year.

This one would be fine if you get one that doesn't die early.

This probably won't die early.

Or just keep checking the ads for a good deal.

I just picked up a 630W Green Series Rosewill for $49.99 ($69.99 before coupon) @ NewEgg. YMMV though with regards to this PSU. I'm taking my chances. Can't go wrong with that Corsair though.

Goodluck with that 630w. I think Ima go with the Rosewill 530w for him, because it's $10 cheaper and has free shipping, trying to keep cost down as much as possible lol.

I had a Rosewill 475w in an older PC of mine for years, and it never died on me, albeit a bit loud.

Goodluck with that 630w. I think Ima go with the Rosewill 530w for him, because it's $10 cheaper and has free shipping, trying to keep cost down as much as possible lol.

I had a Rosewill 475w in an older PC of mine for years, and it never died on me, albeit a bit loud.

Talk him into spending the extra $10 for the Corsair.

Make sure he fills out the MIR correctly and you'll get $15 back. I'm 5 for 5 with Corsair MIRs. Super customer service too.

I've yet to receive any MIR from anyone in like the last 5 years, haha. I think after tax plus S/H then minus the MIR, it would come out to be the same as the Rosewill if not a bit more.

But yea, I'm sure I can squeeze another $10+S/H out of him for a quality PSU.

14A on the 12V rail is the only real shitty thing I see about it.

I think it would work well in the OP's system, though.
The real shitty thing about it is that it's really a crappy 350W HEC unit that can't even output 350W very well.

I've used a few Antec PSU's before and have never had any problems. I'd go with the 400W Antec, nice single 12V rail and sleeved cables on a lower-end unit is always a plus.

Back