Need an LCD for college

RagingGecko

Limp Gawd
My 19" CRT is just too huge for a dorm room. My keyboard is literally hanging off the desk. So, my birthday is in 2 weeks and I'm looking at getting a 17" LCD. Budget is probably about $500, since I'm broke with the whole college thing.

Major use is going to be gaming. I am a hardcore gamer, so it can't be a cheap POS that has horrible ghosting, etc. I need something good quality that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. So, who's got some suggestions.

If you have to get a LCT, get a 710T. But it is no where neer CRT quality gamewise

Lol, im going to college this year too, and i want a new 19" or 20" LCD to replace my big 19" sony trinitron CRT.

First thing i will warn you about, is these 17" monitors are small to me. It will most likely be smaller then your CRT as far as screen size goes. I would recommend you go to your local computer store and see how a 17" does text. Maybe go look at the Samsung monitors. If you don't mind the very small text, then ok.

A cheap one was the Samsung 710T 17". I had one for about 32 days. As far as games go, it was good. It only has 16.2million colors, but what colors it does have were vibrant (even if they were not the exact color it should look like). 12ms was ok. In games *i* did'nt notice any ghosting. On websites though, i could spot the response time.

Its small, kinda cheap at around 432$US, light, quite, and did'nt produce a lot of heat.

I myself was not satisfied with it, because i do more text based stuff then games (like [H]ard|Forums and physics papers). It also had a VERY VERY small viewing angle. If you looked the slightest bit off center, the monitor would distort to a brown color (yea, brown).

You might also want to check out some of the 17" sony monitors, although they might not be as good for games.

Like i said before, if you have a chance to go look at them, DO IT!

~Hope this helps, and good luck in college

dawtips said:
spend a lil more, get the l2335

*fixed

Seriously its a kickass monitor for college, hdtv, dvds & playstation2 hooked up to it will make your room the happenin place - oh and its nice for computer use too ;)

Everybody who walks by my room comes in to look at the l2335 :D

What brand is the l2335?

And there is no way I can afford $800 right now. I'll be lucky if I can get $500.

The L2335 is made by HP. I find it funny how you state your budget and people totally ignore it, though. "Yeah, my budget is $500, give or take a grand."

For $500, it seems like your best bet is the 710T if you can live with the small text. Maybe you should try checking out a similar one at Best Buy or Circuit City to make sure the text size is tolerable. towert7, where did you see it for $432?

dabomb said:
*fixed

Seriously its a kickass monitor for college, hdtv, dvds & playstation2 hooked up to it will make your room the happenin place - oh and its nice for computer use too ;)

Everybody who walks by my room comes in to look at the l2335 :D

Okay, wtf are you smoking. How is $1600 anywhere near $500? :rolleyes:

Lito said:
The L2335 is made by HP. I find it funny how you state your budget and people totally ignore it, though. "Yeah, my budget is $500, give or take a grand."

For $500, it seems like your best bet is the 710T if you can live with the small text. Maybe you should try checking out a similar one at Best Buy or Circuit City to make sure the text size is tolerable. towert7, where did you see it for $432?

At the time, dell had a 10% off sale on all NON dell monitors, then i went on ebay and got a 30$ off all purchases over 450$ coupon for 0.99$.

So, it came up to 432$US shipped, with no taxes ^_^

Im not sure if dell still has the 10% sale, or what not,,, but im quite sure they still sell dell coupons on ebay for about 1$. just type in dell coupon

~Hope this helps

RagingGecko said:
Okay, wtf are you smoking. How is $1600 anywhere near $500? :rolleyes:

sry, I was just carrying on the second post. In all seriousness go on ebay try to get a new/refurb 19" lcd. It will be good for gaming and also you'll probably be watching dvds and tv on it (get a tv card if you don't have one) since hey its 19" and I doubt you wanna bring a tv that size. Ive seen hs93's , 19t's , and 1901fps go for ~$500-550.

dabomb said:
sry, I was just carrying on the second post. In all seriousness go on ebay try to get a new/refurb 19" lcd. It will be good for gaming and also you'll probably be watching dvds and tv on it (get a tv card if you don't have one) since hey its 19" and I doubt you wanna bring a tv that size. Ive seen hs93's , 19t's , and 1901fps go for ~$500-550.

You said it!

That's what im doing. The less space, the better.

My computer will be a ... computer... and take the place of a TV and DVD player. I also hear you can get a FM radio card for the computer (or some come with the TV tuner)... but i don't have that, darn it!

You really have to ask yourself though. what are your honest goals? when does games become more important then general usage and text.....

I guess for some people games is everything.

Well if it does games then it'll do general usage. I just meant I don't want a monitor that'll give me horrible performance. I play lots of games, so what's the point of having a new LCD if I can't game on it anymore?

The TV is a good idea. My TV is currently 13" POS. I dont' mind since I don't watch much TV and there's always the lounge.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start checking on ebay.

RagingGecko said:
Well if it does games then it'll do general usage. I just meant I don't want a monitor that'll give me horrible performance. I play lots of games, so what's the point of having a new LCD if I can't game on it anymore?
Well, take me for example. Im going to college for the education (as hell i better be for 16,000$ per year). So to me, "easy on the eye's" text is important. Also, for me, i would rather have a 25ms panel that displays 16.7million colors then a 12ms that displays 16.2million. This is because i do a little graphic design on the side.

But anyways, "to each their own way".

~I hope you enjoy what ever you end up with.

Obviously I'm going to college for the education, too, but I'm not buying a new monitor to get a better education. I'm buying a new monitor b/c this one is too huge to fit on my desk. If I didn't play games I'd just bring my old crappy 15" compaq monitor. It does text, etc, just fine, but it's shit for games.

Okay, after shopping around here's what I've found. If you guys could give me pros and cons of these I'd appreciate it, keep in mind I've never owned an LCD and I'm not really familiar with them.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-014-063&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-161&depa=0

And the Dell 1901FP.

I like the BenQ's 16ms response time, but will that really make all that much difference? I've heard some mixed reviews about that. Some say 25ms makes them want to throw up while gaming, others say it's really fast. Anyway, how are these as far as ghosting, experiences with dead pixels, etc?

towert7 said:
At the time, dell had a 10% off sale on all NON dell monitors, then i went on ebay and got a 30$ off all purchases over 450$ coupon for 0.99$.

So, it came up to 432$US shipped, with no taxes ^_^

Im not sure if dell still has the 10% sale, or what not,,, but im quite sure they still sell dell coupons on ebay for about 1$. just type in dell coupon

~Hope this helps

you don't need to go on ebay. I got all my coupons for free off of www.fatwallet.com. There is numerous other sites you can use as well.

Back